engine build question?

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
okay. So i have been building a budget 351W for my 95.

The 351 is started with a 69 motor out of a Mach 1. Factory hp/tq numbers for that motor is 290/385.

The motor has been bored .060 over with factory heads with a 9 angle valve job with light port work and a shaved head and deck. Compression is around 11.5:1

I converted the motor to fuel injection with 30 lb/hour injectors on a edelbrock rpm intake. The fuel system is going to be full braided -6an from the tank to the 1/2 inch rails.

I will be running short tube headers an offroad x and moroso dumps.

It has underdrive pullies and has been converted to accept all the accesories off of a 95 lightning.

My question is what kind of power do you guys think it will make?

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
my guess to the wheels, maybe 340hp.. thats kinda pushing the limits with stock heads.. the stock heads are the weak link to the 302/351 engines..

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
i forgot to mention that it also has a fairly large flat tappet crane cam.

But really the only reason i asked is because i have a cocky friend with a 302 with a wolverine cam and gt40 heads who claims his puts down more power than my 351 will.

and really? only 340? with 11.5:1 compression?

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
i forgot to mention that it also has a fairly large flat tappet crane cam.

But really the only reason i asked is because i have a cocky friend with a 302 with a wolverine cam and gt40 heads who claims his puts down more power than my 351 will.

and really? only 340? with 11.5:1 compression?

your buddy's car will be super lucky to hit 300hp, with just stock gt40 heads, and a cam. even with full bolt ons.. stock 5.0 only make 225hp stock at the flywheel..

its really hard to estimate hp, but if i had to guess id say close to 340ish at the tire.. you really need a good set of heads..

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
the problem is your original horsepower numbers were made with no accesories and different standards than today, the heads may be ok now with the 9 angle valve job, the cams will help so it will push over 300hp i think but it may be more bottled up from the heads than you think, but i would hope it will out perform the 302

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
the problem is your original horsepower numbers were made with no accesories and different standards than today, the heads may be ok now with the 9 angle valve job, the cams will help so it will push over 300hp i think but it may be more bottled up from the heads than you think, but i would hope it will out perform the 302

this.. I think you'd be lucky to have 340 Flywheel horsepower..

Users who are viewing this thread