Engine Builders.....(Bearings)

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I want to point out something that has been a HUGE issue in me rebuilding my engine TWICE.

My car is a 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra. 281 DOHC Super Charged Engine from factory.

TWICE I have ordered bearings for my engine. BOTH TIMES THEY WERE WRONG!!

For some reason my car only takes the SOHC bearings. I do NOT know why but DOHC bearings will not fit this car. The notchs in the bearings are wrong and will NOT allow me to install that bearing.

This is how it came from the factory.

I ran into this 2 years ago on my first engine build. I purchased all my bearings rings and a ton of parts at once. When I went to install it I noticed the bearings where way off and didn't work. They were local so I just ran up there, brought a main cap with me and they were dumb founded when we ALL realized it was a SOHC bearing that fit my DOHC application.

I dont know why this is, but it takes a SOHC bearing to fit the notches in my mains?? My car is as is from factory. No other person, dealership included, has EVER removed my engine. I have done it both times in my garage. Ford installed it and that was it.

Why this is like this? I have no idea. SOHC bearings fit my mains PERFECTLY. Its stumps me but the bearings are identical other than the notch position.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Interesting, and very good knowledge to have for future reference - thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread