Engine Cleaning Question!

Lightningboy99

Established Member
HAHA So i just really want to know what is the best way to clean my engine and engine bay area? I'm curious to know what u guys use and how u do it.:thumbsup:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
On a cool motor, spray down with diluted simple green, toothbrush for hard areas, and light water pressure from the garden hose. If you're nervous, put plastic bags over the filter, and any areas that you think you might not want to get wet then go from there.

I'm fairly careful of what I spray and how much I spray with the hose, no problems here. Works for me.

I wouldnt suggest in using tire shine or anything with alcohol in it to make everything shiney, since it could actually attract more dust/grime or fade the colors. I guess for a car show or something it wouldnt hurt, but not everytime.

203Cree

Established Member
Good advice. If you're too scared to use a hose, you can do as I do and use a squirt bottle of water. It take some time, but you don't run the risk of soaking your coils and shorting one out.

Lightningboy99

Established Member
Ohh yeah does anyone cover up the sensors or what not lol I think ill just try the squirt bottle it seems time consuming but also really safe

Vette Eater

Established Member
Just cover up the filter...I pressure wash and clean my engine once a week in the summer, thats when I drive it the most. Dilute your cleaner 4:1 if the engine is just dusty...3:1 if its real dirty. I usually hit the lower intake real good and passenger side valve cover if I get some oil on it...But blast away. If I haven't hurt anything in the past 5 years of owning it, I don't think anyone will. This is the same process I go through cleaning new Mercedes Benz. If you want all your rubber hoses and black plastic to be real shiny, get some regular liquid Armour All and dilute it 2:1 and spray all over the engine. Let it run up to operating temp and you will be finished.

Lightningfr

Banned
Vette Eater said:
Just cover up the filter...I pressure wash and clean my engine once a week in the summer, thats when I drive it the most. Dilute your cleaner 4:1 if the engine is just dusty...3:1 if its real dirty. I usually hit the lower intake real good and passenger side valve cover if I get some oil on it...But blast away. If I haven't hurt anything in the past 5 years of owning it, I don't think anyone will. This is the same process I go through cleaning new Mercedes Benz. If you want all your rubber hoses and black plastic to be real shiny, get some regular liquid Armour All and dilute it 2:1 and spray all over the engine. Let it run up to operating temp and you will be finished.

do you start your benz up right after washing it or make sure the engine is nice n dry?

Vette Eater

Established Member
Lightningfr said:
do you start your benz up right after washing it or make sure the engine is nice n dry?
Not my Benz...my customers Benz. Yes, we crank them up right after so that engine dressing dries quickly and smoothly without and puddle marks.

As far as dust building up on the dressing...You want that. The dressing keeps dust and grime from setting in on your hoses...This way, you guys living where sand and dust is a big issue, it sprays right off.

illness

Established Member
i powerwashed mine with the truck running.. i got excited cause it looked all shiney but by the time i got home and it all dried it wasn't.. it was still dirty.. powerwashing did't hurt it it actaully didn't do much at all.. i guess next time i'm soak it down with dish soap..LMAO j/p

Dusten

Established Member
illness said:
i powerwashed mine with the truck running.. i got excited cause it looked all shiney but by the time i got home and it all dried it wasn't.. it was still dirty.. powerwashing did't hurt it it actaully didn't do much at all.. i guess next time i'm soak it down with dish soap..LMAO j/p

That is an awesome way to break something, you take hot metal, and shock it with cold water, and it will crack... good luck

illness

Established Member
yea only the water was hot.. not cold.. It didn't steem at all just spray from the fan....

my uncle has a power washer hooked up to a hot water supply...

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
illness said:
yea only the water was hot.. not cold.. It didn't steem at all just spray from the fan....

my uncle has a power washer hooked up to a hot water supply...

Irregardless... you can easily break something...
Also, electronics are far more prone to shorting when they are engergized as opposed to when they are not.

illness

Established Member
sorry .. i power washed my SHO several times with no side effects.. its not like i stick it right in the engine bay.. i use a step stool so the tip of the gun is like 3 feet away from the engine bay..

Dusten

Established Member
The sensors are for the most part designed to be water proof. I wouldnt worry much about them, cover the filter. Also, when you are done, make sure the little valleys the COP live in is dry, or you will get alot of rust in that area. If you plan to really blast the engine with a pressure washer, then i would cover shit up.

Users who are viewing this thread