Engine damage 6.0L chevy

First-on-race-day

Established Member
All other cylinders have good compression and look healthy. Would it be a good idea to just replace that head and piston and slap her back together. 6.0 chevy. ThanksView attachment 1671945
20201111_190228.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Looks like some damage there. Over rev the engine im guessing?

T.Man

Established Member
I'd be hesitant to run that motor without a thorough cleaning and some fresh bearings. PTV contact issues can be deceiving. If it's seeing boost, might as well re-gap the rings too.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If that were my LS engine? Pull the heads get them professionally inspected, refurbish as needed. Head to junkyard, pull another Vortec. Put refreshed heads on.

Send it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yikes that more than just a light kiss from a valve. I’d do as the others have advised.....take the heads and motor to be inspected by a machine shop that does LSx. I have seen light contact/eyebrows from valve contact with piston... I was swapping my heads when I noticed a piston had seen some contact (big TRex cam at the time, high revs a little valve float due to broken outer valve spring, inner spring kept the valve from dropping into the motor)...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt replace shit. Clean up the cylinder heads, clean up by hand the piston that got smacked and slam her back together with some fresh head gaskets..

The bottom end on iron block LS's are tough as nails, nothing is wrong w the bottom end. No chance.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I wouldnt replace shit. Clean up the cylinder heads, clean up by hand the piston that got smacked and slam her back together with some fresh head gaskets..

The bottom end on iron block LS's are tough as nails, nothing is wrong w the bottom end. No chance.
There's good advice and free advice. This is free advice.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
There's good advice and free advice. This is free advice.

Fair enough.

But I’ve actually made this repair.

Tell us about what you’ve personally done.

Or is your skill set simply dedicated to talking about things you want to do, but will never do.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

You forgot, “Increase your shift points to 9K RPM....”

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Context is a big part of this.

If this motors in a 68' Camaro pro-touring car, replace the piston, refurbish the heads, and do it the right way.

If this is in a shitbox that you just have fun with on the cheap, then clean it up, replace the head(s) and run it.

I wouldn't run this as-is in say my old mans LS swapped Chevelle. But I wouldn't give a crap about it if it was in a junky coupe with a china turbo.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Context is a big part of this.

If this motors in a 68' Camaro pro-touring car, replace the piston, refurbish the heads, and do it the right way.

If this is in a shitbox that you just have fun with on the cheap, then clean it up, replace the head(s) and run it.

I wouldn't run this as-is in say my old mans LS swapped Chevelle. But I wouldn't give a crap about it if it was in a junky coupe with a china turbo.

Definitely a good point. I assumed in my first post that it was in someone's pick up truck.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

You forgot the twin nagasaki noisy boys.

When it blows,IF it ever actually let go then go pick up another one at the junkyard. Wash Rinse Repeat.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not a Chevy fan, but those LS engines can take a heck of a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread