Engine Detail of my 2003 Mach 1, F21 Reviewed....PICS!

66temp

Established Member
OldTimer said:
This looks so easy that I will try it this weekend. Since so many guys have advocated Simple Green I bought some to degrease as I do have a little build up from when I had a breather on my passenger side valve cover. So help out a first-timer here... is this a good 10-Step sequence?

1. Warm up engine for say 15 minutes?
2. Wrap exposed air filter with plastic.
2. Lightly spray some water on the engine.
3. Spray on the Simple Green and let sit for 5 minutes?
4. Use a parts brush to help loosen caked on gunk.
5. Lightly rinse with a garden hose.
6. Blow off excess water with a air hose or a leaf vacuum.
7. Apply the F21 on all exposed surfaces and close the hood.
8. After 15-20 minutes open the hood and wipe down everything.
9. Touch up areas with a rag and F21 sprayed onto it.
10. Re-start the engine to make sure all is well :).

I'm not nuts about the concept of using a water powerspray (mine is 2600 psi) on an engine that might not like water forced into too many crevices... but that's just me. I had read where several guys have used their leaf blowers to blow out all the water. Typically, these blowers crank out 150-200 mph breeze that will evacuate almost any/all water droplets. My concern is obviously the plugs and coils... anyone want to comment on that?
I'm not sure if I would warm the motor up for that long, I normally start it up for 3-5 minutes (however long it takes it to get WARM to the touch, not hot, I think after 15 minutes the motor would be fairly hot). 5 minutes is about right for a fairly dirty motor, just make sure to keep the solution from caking on, so if you see it drying, keep applying it for the 5 minutes (lightly).

As long as you dont spray the pressure cleaner directly into anything, for an extended period of time, you *shouldn't* have a problem, I never have, all I do is keep the nozzle on the widest setting, and spray 3-4 feet away from the motor at all times, sweeping quickly over the motor, just until all of the degreaser/soap is gone....

You may want to get a bunch of brushes and agitate the degreaser in any dirty spots, and pay special attention to areas with a lot of plastic or other material showing.

After you're done rinsing, you really shouldnt have to blow the water off, just spray the foam everywhere, and start the motor back up for a few minutes until its dry...This is where any water left over in the coils/plugs, and any other sensitive crevices will, evaporate from the heat.

zeus201 said:
Any tips if your engine is powder coated black :shrug: ? I would really hate to ruin the coating.

BTW, awesome pics of all the detailed engines.
You really shouldn't have a problem with powder coated surfaces, the only thing I could see messing with a powder coat is sandblasting, or vigorous scrubbing with an abrasive tool/brush, or a really heavy acid???

texaswrx

Established Member
Some strong cleaners can also have an effect on powder coating. I would go safe, and use a quality soap to wash it, and for use of a harsher product, cover it up. Just my findings after I made a mistake on wheels Powder coated black.

Silver04L

93 Octane Member
Established Member
Wishing4Cobra said:
my honeycomb and shaker is starting to fade a little, is that going to work? Engine bay looks clean man!
go pick up a bottle of back 2 black byMother's, it works awesome....

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
only thing im worried about is actualyl spraying the motor. already have had two mishaps with these 4 valves. Dealer sprayed my motor, and water got under the spark plug cover, down down to #4(i think, passengerside closest to firewall) and jacked up the plug, rusted out the cop, and left a mess. On my friends terminator, the car just misfired like hell a few days later. two of his plugs looked terrible. He was prety careful not to get it on the heads to begin with, but oh well. Shit happens i guess. I just wash as much as i can reach with a good ol rag.

bone

Established Member
clean mach, i haven't did my cobra but i did my z-71 today and i used black magic 2 in 1 engine cleaner and shine, don't use this guys, it sucks didn't clean good and left my alternator looking like i sprayed tire cleaner on it, turned it white looking.

texaswrx

Established Member
Used it on the wifes Tahoe, and it came out great. I also used it to dress the fenderwells and gave it a shot on the tires

Invictus

Banned
Is it okay to spray water on the supercharger and behind where all the wiring and things are? What about the front of the motor down by all of the pulleys and idlers etc? And all the electrical connectors, or valve covers?

Is this safe!? It needs a good cleaning but i'm reluctant! :shrug:

Vic.

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Damn, I need to try this out.

I've had my own various methods of detailing my engines in the past but this sounds too easy to not try. Thanks!

98mdsnake

Established Member
I used his process also and mine turned out great too.

Here's the finished product
DSCF0714.jpg

STG

Banned
My concern is obviously the plugs and coils... anyone want to comment on that?

I've see several Mach1 and Cobra engines with coil covers that allowed water in - and evidently the water stayed around causing corrosion because the covers wouldn't let it evaporate . That's why I don't spray water from a garden hose or a pressure washer on my engine.

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Just did it today on my V6 and it came out nothing short of amazing. Got better results than I ever have in the past and it was so much easier and faster, it's just crazy how well this works. I plan on doing the rest of the cars in my driveway with it soon. I'll have pictures up tommorow to share.. thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread