Engine dies after K&N CAI install?

03VNM

Established Member
I recenly installed a K&N FIPK kit on my stock 03 cobra. This is the first mod on the car. The car starts and runs fine most of the time, but on occasion it will die when I put it in neutral, say coming up to a stop light. Also, does anyone know what rpm theses cars should idle at...Mine is idleing at 500-600 RPM which seems a little low? I double checked to make sure all electrical plugs and vaccum lines are hooked up correctly, although I left out the screen inside the MAF. Anyone know if these cars take time to "learn" this mod?? Should I have the car tuned? Any knowledge on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys

cobracide

Established Member
Yep, you have the stall because of a re-clocked or dirty maf most likely. You can disconnect the battery and let it sit for 30mins to reset the computer, then hope it learns properly. Clean the maf sensor (carefully) with rubbing alcohol. Consider a JLT, it's a better kit overall.

NastyNate420

Established Member
You prolly left the MAF screen out... I had the same problem in my mach. Reinstall the maf screen and your problem should go away !

03VNM

Established Member
Ok, I will re-install the MAF screen and post response tomorrow. Thanks guys

VincodeY

Established Member
Sounds like you have "the stall". It can be fixed in the tune. Also, make sure you have the maf clocked at the 10:00 position.

03VNM

Established Member
what do you mean by "make sure the MAF is clocked". Is that the position of the wire in the MAF? Thanks for the input all!

stage2.408

Established Member
Mine did the same thing after I Installed the K&N Intake. I have been told that a ECU relash or tune would take care of this, Also known as the "stall issue." Also curious what U mean by " maf clocked at the 10:00 position."

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
some cobras had this problem you arent in the dark. mine didnt have this problem. I never took out my screen either or clocked the maf. i just did a straight up swap

03VNM

Established Member
Installed the screen and all is good! drove the last 3 days with no problems and it idles back to normal (plus you the intake is a lot louder with all the air rushing through the screen!) Thanks for all the useful input

Users who are viewing this thread