Engine just quits after a few drive miles. Plugged Bassani cat(s)?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've had my full Bassani x exhaust for many years. Two summers ago converted to e-85. Mods in my sig. Last summer she just started "trailer hitching". Thought I had a vacum leak so I tightened every thing up and after a test drive seemed to fix it.
Went drag racing with some buds and only ran a 109 mph. WAAAYYYY off what should have been 120 plus.
Driving the car afterwards it would start the jerking I mentioned earlier and would eventually quit altogether. Sat for 15 minutes or so and she started up and I limped home. No check engine lights but they may have been disabled with the tune.
Anyone have any experience like this? I've done the searches and not really comming up with anything. Thoughts? Plugged cats perhaps?

Imput would be much appreciated.

Ray H.

TRBO VNM

Can you narrow it down a bit more. Will it go WOT without a problem and only jerky during cruise or is it jerky all the time? I assume the jerky feel is almost like an on/off the gas feeling?

topfueldart

Established Member
My buddies car had very similar symptoms, made a WOT pass one night, started bucking really hard, trailer hitching as you said. Car died and wouldnt refire. tried all sorts of crap, reflash tune, unhook batt, checked alt and batt, checked fuel pressure, found it falling off, swapped FPDM's, changed fuel pumps, no change.... Ended up being the FRPS. Unhook it (LF corner of fuel rail) and see if the car fires and runs for a few seconds before dying.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
OK. more info. When the car is warmed up is when it starts jerking and eventually dies. WOT feels OK but not near what it was when the car was tuned 6 months before the symptoms. Right before the symptoms started I rolled into it a couple times and it just sputtered almost like it was hitting the rev limiter but I know it wasn't.
By the way. I have replaced the fuel filter. It as 10 micron and it was not flowing very well. I have a return set up also and my FP stays constant even when the car started the bucking/jerking and died. FP was still constant.

Ray H.

cobracide

Established Member
Bad fuel? Try some dry gas? I actually had my ccrm fuel module section go and cause the same symptoms. My guess is that it's not common though.

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I would replace the plugs Ray,

when I had Lidio@ Alternative Performance dyno-tune mine, he said he recommends to all Terminator owners that are not stock, should change their spark plugs frequently. ( I think he mention approx 5k miles )

Before he tuned mine, he did a preliminary pull and was seeing around 440rhwp, getting the same issues as you mentioned....he pulled the plugs and saw two plugs he thought as questionable. Replaced all the plugs, and mine left with 540wrhp @16psi on a GEN 1 whipple. Before the tune, at Milan I ran a best of 12.10 @113 with 1.8 60fts times, and was very disappointed not to see trap times in the 120's with my combination. Since the tune, I havent been back to the track, and added a 2.8 upper and seeing around 19psi, I would estimate I'm around 575 rhwp. Low 11's should be easy if not a high ten with a good 1.7 6Oft or better.

Last edited:

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the tip. I replaced the plugs a couple weeks ago but as you know winter is here to stay for us in Mich. I'll see what that does for me next spring. I also have a wide band now and an SCT tuner. Hopefully some data logging will turn up something.

Ray H.

TRBO VNM

I would go ahead and do a compression test for the hell of it since it is easy and would give you a decent idea on the health of the shortblock. And winter or not, I would try to get this problem figured out so you can enjoy it when it warms up and you can spend this time getting it fixed. doing the compression test also allows you to check the plugs at the same time.

The CCRM thing is definitely a possibility and I hate that thing since it also is tied to the AC and cooling fan. Ford should have done something different there, but as stated, that isn't common...unless you have a 96-98. lol

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
I had an issue very similar. It was a bad fuel pressure regulator. It boggs down/ bucks real hard in lowish rpms? I tried pushing on the gas with no response, would be over in a matter of seconds and be back to what felt like normal. It didnt throw any codes for me either untill it had happened acouple times. Sorry this isnt have a very good explanation. It was way back in the day with my 03 gt. As far as what you would find on the data logger, I wouldnt be able to tell you.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
a bad fuel pressure regulator should be able to be captured in a datalog - via a fuel parameter - injector duty cycle??:shrug:

here is a comment from Skaarew04SVT on his build thread with what might be a similiar issue.

"I have done a WOT pull to 5000 rpms. I have an issue that I am trying to work out with injector duty cycle hitting a wall past 64%. Believe I have located the issue in tune, but have not been able to test out a tweak I made. But I suspect it is how I have my return system setup in tune keeping the FRPS.

Car was doing great to 5000 , then leaned out immediately. Not just leaned out, but literally hit a "wall". Injector duty cycle was at 64%, then immediately dropped to 41% and held steady. Of course I let out of it within a split second when i felt the car nose over. Fuel pressure is rock solid. DeltaP is rock solid at 50 psi. Voltage is rock solid. I believe the FRPS is wreaking havoc with pulsewidth with how i have the tune setup."

TRBO VNM

I had an issue very similar. It was a bad fuel pressure regulator. It boggs down/ bucks real hard in lowish rpms? I tried pushing on the gas with no response, would be over in a matter of seconds and be back to what felt like normal. It didnt throw any codes for me either untill it had happened acouple times. Sorry this isnt have a very good explanation. It was way back in the day with my 03 gt. As far as what you would find on the data logger, I wouldnt be able to tell you.

do you mean a fuel rail pressure sensor?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.
I have plenty of fuel pressure. Triple Fore hat return system and all pumps functioning. In fact that was my first guess so I mounted a remote gauge outside the car so I could read in real time while driving. Even during the trailer hitching/bucking and eventual dieing of the car the FP read solid.
I may just purchase and pop on a new fuel rail pressure sensor just to see if that's it or eliminate it as a possibility.
Anyone have any personal experience with plugged Bassani cats? I'm still not convinced that may be an issue.

Ray H.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
still have the factory midpipe? maybe throw it on and see what happens? anyone near you have a high flow catted pipe you can throw on for a bit?

seems to me if the cats are indeed plugged that bad they would probably be glowing after a drag pass!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I do have the factory pipe with very low miles I could try. I may get a frps from Ford and see if that helps too. Thanks again for the comments/suggestions everyone.

Ray H.

evolve

Established Member
You could put a vacuum guage on it to check for restricted exhaust.

I would do more diagnostic leg work before throwing parts at it.

This is good advice. Check all avenues before you put parts in to eliminate possibilities!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Unfortunately Michigan weather has not been very driver friendly for my '03. I have done a wideband install to do some data logging which should hopefully steer me in the right direction. 04sleeper is schooling me on the diagnostics.
The Factory Five roadster in my sig is going to the painter in the next couple weeks or so. When it's gone I'll hit the '03 again. Maybe I'll have some good news after getting back at it a while. I will update when I've got something new.

Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread