engine longevity with 600rwhp twin screw life?

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
Ok suppose you have a great safe tune and all the fuel mods and cooling mods.How long do you guys expect the motor will last with beating on it once in a while? we all know the pistons are the weak link but can they handle it over a long period of time?tuners can chime in here also if they want. but lets say 600-620 max at the wheels.Oh and its for a kennebell or whipple.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have been running strong for 5,000 miles at or around 600 rwhp. That is not a lot of miles, but I only have 10,000 total miles on my motor. But, to answer your question, it is a crap shoot.

-Jeff

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
Mine only lasted about 1,000 miles after I hit the 600 mark but when I first had the whipple put on Randy Haywood had it tuned too lean and it did some damage that I didn't know about until I changed the fuel system and added more boost. Weeks later I cracked a piston at the track. But if you do it right from the start then I think it would last a while as long as you don't get over like 17psi on 93 octane.

Thrust

Established Member
I have had my car a little over 600 at the wheels for nearly a year now with zero problems. I have put about 4000 miles on it since my kb install and it runs as strong as ever.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
With a safe tune and as long as nothing in your air/fuel delivery system fails, there's no reason why the motor couldn't last almost as long as a stocker. I know that there are people with 30K or more on a Whipple and they will probably chime in shortly. Unfortunately a lot of us like to push the envelope with lots of boost and aggressive tunes/octane and of course prolonged beating on the engine. The best thing to do to keep an eye on the health of your systems is to put a wideband permanently in the car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
With a safe tune and as long as nothing in your air/fuel delivery system fails, there's no reason why the motor couldn't last almost as long as a stocker. I know that there are people with 30K or more on a Whipple and they will probably chime in shortly. Unfortunately a lot of us like to push the envelope with lots of boost and aggressive tunes/octane and of course prolonged beating on the engine. The best thing to do to keep an eye on the health of your systems is to put a wideband permanently in the car.

+2

LTHL SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Fuel, and tuning is the keys to success. Just make sure you go to a really good tuner, that knows what hes doing. And you will be good for a long time, Im thinking of going up to 19lbs soon(17 currently).

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
oh i always keep one eye on the wideband and run 93 octane with a 32 oz can of torco with my whipple and keep the pulley at 3.25 which im getting 16lbs of boost

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
oh i always keep one eye on the wideband and run 93 octane with a 32 oz can of torco with my whipple and keep the pulley at 3.25 which im getting 16lbs of boost

That may be a bit overkill. If your tuner knows his ass from a hole in the ground your tune will be just as safe with or without a can of Torco at that boost level. That is unless you are running about 22* of timing or more. You are just wasting money if you plan on using torco on anything other than a flat out race tune, or 19+ lbs of boost. Even at 19# of boost and the right tune you will not need torco.

-Jeff

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have had my 600hp setup for over a year and a 1/2. About 8,000 miles on with it...no porblems here. Get it tuned and change the oil, long last your motor.

Ditto :thumbsup:, not to mention, how often is any of us actually putting down 600 over the course of a week, with out track visits?:shrug: not often.

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
thats true but its amazing how many terminator motors blew up and i know tuning and fuel issues and heat seem to cause it. I guess its all about right foot control lol.

As with any engine, whether it is making 100 or 1000hp, the tune (keeping it safe), how you drive it (don't rag the thing out 24/7), and how you take car of it (oil changes, trans fluid maintainance, etc.) will be the biggest factors in my opinion.

You know that the '03-'04 Cobra engines can take 600hp, so as long as you take care of it and don't beat it to hell at every stoplight, then you SHOULD be okay. But, as well as taking care of it you will need some luck. Any performance vehicle is more prone to failure compared to a stock vehicle, so luck plays another part in it as well. Why do you think automobile manufacturers void warranties when you modify the car to a certain extent? -- because there's really no telling what will happen with aftermarket parts and you driving it around.

Should have gone turbo and then you could just turn the boost controller down and run lower levels of boost until you wanted to have some fun and then turn the knob back up hahaha.........just kidding. Take care of it and I'm sure it'll be a fun car that should last for a little while.

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
I only go wot when i need to teach the new z06 a lesson that dont play with a twin screwed cobra lol

Last edited:

dave281sc

Established Member
I think it should last about 60 minutes, or so (WOT) with a good tune, and proper cool down between heat soaks for the average enthusiast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread