Engine Lowering

MattR

Established Member
I searched and didn't come up with a definite yes or no if engine lowering causes problems. I have the billet 1/2" mounts that lower the engine but that doesn't address the trans mount, or the fact that the shifter bolts to the body.

So for those of you that needed additional hood clearance and lowered your engine did you have issues? Did you need to space the shifter or trans mount? Some post said that handling went to heck and steering feel changed. I have a 2011 with the electric steering.

I don't want to notch the hood but if its the lesser of two evils maybe that's the way ill go.

BMR Tech

I would not worry about shimming or spacing, etc.

The effect is pretty minimal.

That said, I DO recommend installing an Adjustable UCA to ensure that your pinion angle is proper, especially if you have or plan on installing a 1-Piece Drive Shaft.

MattR

Established Member
Already have all your toys. Actually talked to you on the phone a few weeks back about setting it all up.

Thanks for the feedback.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I never drove mine stock, so hard to say any differences, however mine's lowered by over 1" IIRC and the car drives fine.

the hood is notched as well for the blower pulley

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have steeda's lowering mounts, but at stock height. I doubt the engine position would change more an a degree or two. The only negatives would be the additional NVH that's transmitted through the poly mounts and a lower exhaust, if you're running headers. I don't find the poly mounts that obnoxious, but I'm debating putting the stock mounts back in it.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm running a BMR 1/2" lowering K-member, as well as 1/2" spacers between the K and the frame for a total of 1" drop. I didn't notice any difference in handling, and I'm running a stock hood with a 4.0L Whipple without issue. The only other change I made was 1/2" spacers between the radiator support and the frame, to help keep the coolant hoses positioned correctly. I picked up a little NVH from the swap, but it's not bad at all. Most of that is more likely from the big cams I'm running.

I autocross this car, drag race it, and almost daily drive it. So, poor handling and any other ill effects are always a concern with me. I'm quite pleased with how it's performing currently.

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
Thanks guys, I dropped it down today. Those factory mounts sure are huge and ugly. Little bit of a challenge getting them past the long tubes on the driver side.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Im going to notch my black mamba hood before I go changing any geometry in the suspension....this 3.6 is a big bitch....front of case is the contact point.

Users who are viewing this thread