Engine marble noise..options

Davey07

Established Member
hi, so I bought this car not too about a month ago, and have had the marble like sound coming from what I thought to be the supercharger. Pulled all the belts off and noise is still there. i took a video but the exhaust is so loud can hardly really hear anything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMeydmv7cY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0zZAHcS17w
the sound sounds like it coming from everywhere, but then gets really loud thru the valve covers, Even thought i could hear it from the front cover.. car has 107k, on it and I eventually planned to rebuild engine , just not this soon..when i drive it sounds more like a knocking sound, that comes on at 2k.. I'm bought to pull the plugs and check compression, but previous owner said it had good compression and leakdown tested of also.. I dont have shop air to do a leakdown..

Just wanted to hear some opinions, and what rebuild options are out there. Wheres the best place to buy everything?revised Head? shortblock, or just a long block? Cheap route, etc thanks dave

Last edited:

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
The video makes it hard to tell (exhaust too loud as you said). You said it comes on at 2k rpm - does it keep going as you rev up? Does it only happen on start up or does it happen when the engine is warm too? Does it ahppen in gear? Clutch in? Just trying to help you get some more details.

Davey07

Established Member
clutch in, or out doesnt matter.. Its def coming from the engine.. Sound just bounces all over the place, but i know for sure its not any of the drive belts pulleys, waterpump or blower..I'm going to put eveyrhtng back together and get a better video, . do my own compression test , and bring it in to work and take a peak in the clinder heads to see if i can find anything

mach1033

Established Member
If you do need a rebuild then the cheapest way would be to do a core change with Tousley Ford. It comes with the revised heads as well with a 3 year warranty. Its 4k with core. You keep all your pullies and brackets as the new motor does not come with them.

horspla2000

Established Member
I didn't watch vid, bec people said you can't hear it. Anyway, a "marble" sound, the first thing that comes to mind is a broken timing chain guide. This would let the chain slap around. It may not at certian RPM, and may get real bad at certian RPM. Go to a parts store and look for an automotive stethoscope. Play around w that and see if you can isolate it. You may find that everything seems to sound the same. It takes experience to really be good w it, but if your noise is that loud, you should be able to see where its loudest or at least narrow it down to front, rear, left, right etc. It could also be valvetrain. You will get the best result w the stethoscope on the valve cover bolts. Also maybe try taking the oil fill cap off and listen there. Cover it w your hand, then take it off and see if its louder/quieter . Do everything you can to isolate it and post back. Interested.

Last edited:

Davey07

Established Member
a small update.. Starts out as a marble noise, then i'll raise the rpms, gets worse. Worst at about 2k, then i stop cuz it goes to a knocking sound. I tried pulling each injector at a time. sound did not change what so ever..so probly not a rod bearing.It sounds like a rod bearing... I've taken off all the belts, and sound is still there..

Tousley Ford? In MN ? If thats the one, that'd be great. Hi tech quoted me 5 k..is the 4k, a stock rebuild? just bring them a core? Thanks guys much apprciated

mach1033

Established Member
a small update.. Starts out as a marble noise, then i'll raise the rpms, gets worse. Worst at about 2k, then i stop cuz it goes to a knocking sound. I tried pulling each injector at a time. sound did not change what so ever..so probly not a rod bearing.It sounds like a rod bearing... I've taken off all the belts, and sound is still there..

Tousley Ford? In MN ? If thats the one, that'd be great. Hi tech quoted me 5 k..is the 4k, a stock rebuild? just bring them a core? Thanks guys much apprciated

Yup thats where there from. And it is a rebuilt motor with a 3 year warranty. Yes you get that price with a core change.

Davey07

Established Member
nice right down the road! 4k is not bad at all... I wonder if they have a dealer discount on top of that? I work as a tech at a toyota dealer and ussually we hook each other up

mach1033

Established Member
nice right down the road! 4k is not bad at all... I wonder if they have a dealer discount on top of that? I work as a tech at a toyota dealer and ussually we hook each other up

wouldnt hurt to ask. I beat the hell out of mine when I had it. Dont forget to mention that you are a member here

Last edited:

Davey07

Established Member
so I'm sitting here, asking facebook, and my girl sees it and is like" i do, i worked with one of the kids, u nv listen to me at al

Users who are viewing this thread