engine missing under load since cold weather, help!

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Hey everyone, I did some searching and didn't come up with much. Since I got back from vacation last week and started driving my cobra again its been acting strange. The weather is colder than before so i'm thinking that might have something to do with my issues. about 75% of the time if I give it full throttle it will miss and buck. Seemed like detonation or spark blowout, so I changed my plugs with new TR-6's gapped at .32" thinking that would help, but the problem is still happening. I checked the codes today and it had an overboost code stored(but no check engine light on). It has never thrown this code before. I'm running stock blower with a 2.8" upper and a custom dyno tune. I had it tuned before last winter so I drove it through last winter without this problem and I haven't changed anything engine wise since then(other than the plugs i just changed). I don't have an a/f gauge or anything but the boost stays steady it just misses/detonates under full load. 80% throttle or less the car drives perfectly. Anyone have any ideas? Oh i changed the FRPS about a month ago too because it blew out. All the old spark plugs i took out(which were also TR-6 looked just fine)
To me it would seem like a tune issue but i have had the same tune and not changed anything for like 14 months so why now is it doing this? The fuel pumps and injectors are all stock too. Oh and the fuel filter is fairly new too-like 8 months old. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bubbaflaat

Established Member
hmmm.... that could be, but I was under the impression that I wasn't that close to maxing out the MAF, I dynoed at 443whp. I thought the MAFs were good to around 500. Its warmer today midday and it is still doing it. Anyone know the highest maf count a stock maf can read? I could data log that with my preditor and see if its maxing i guess. Its just wierd because I drove it all last winter with no issues with this same setup/tune.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Anyone have any other ideas? Oh and its not a bad tank of fuel or anything because I have went through a whole tank since this problem started.

KILRSVT

Established Member
check your tps out..it could have an open spot when opening up the throttle above 80% although it should store a fault i would check it. if your able to look at sensor status i would check that out the tps voltage should be at around .9 when closed and up to 4.8 when at w.o.t..other than that you might wanna contact your tuner.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
hmmm.... that could be, but I was under the impression that I wasn't that close to maxing out the MAF, I dynoed at 443whp. I thought the MAFs were good to around 500. Its warmer today midday and it is still doing it. Anyone know the highest maf count a stock maf can read? I could data log that with my preditor and see if its maxing i guess. Its just wierd because I drove it all last winter with no issues with this same setup/tune.

Pretty sure it`s 1023
Might want to log it and see if you see anything.When`s the last time you changed your fuel filter?Loose intake,dirty maf,bad cop,vac leak,etc.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
check your tps out..it could have an open spot when opening up the throttle above 80% although it should store a fault i would check it. if your able to look at sensor status i would check that out the tps voltage should be at around .9 when closed and up to 4.8 when at w.o.t..other than that you might wanna contact your tuner.

My TPS reads 4.64v at WOT, is that off enough to cause problems? There are no dead spots through its range but it stops at 4.64. Can anyone check theres and see what it reads at WOT?

And I changed my fuel filter last january.
If it was a coil or something wouldn't I be getting a coil code or a cylinder specific misfire code? Only code I have gotten is the overboost code.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Oh and i'm sure now it does'nt have anything to do with temp because it was 65 today at lunch and it still did it.

Cobra80

Established Member
I had this problem, it was not because of cold weather, it was a weak coil. it would not miss in 1st or 2nd, sometimes 3rd, but any gear above that and it was bad. I got a couple of factory coils and roatated them around until it went away.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
I was suspicous of that but I really didn't have a way to test the coils. So I guess I have to buy one and swap it around alot. Thanks for the idea.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Doesn't the predator have the parameters to scan each cylinder for misfire counts? I know that in the GM one it does and you can select all 8 and just watch and see which one is missing (or how many).

That way you can see which one it is and move that one coil around, as apposed to replacing one coil at a time and seeing if that helps.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Doesn't the predator have the parameters to scan each cylinder for misfire counts? I know that in the GM one it does and you can select all 8 and just watch and see which one is missing (or how many).

That way you can see which one it is and move that one coil around, as apposed to replacing one coil at a time and seeing if that helps.

My preditor cannot read misfire counts, and it is not throwing a code for a specific cylinder misfire.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
I had this problem, it was not because of cold weather, it was a weak coil. it would not miss in 1st or 2nd, sometimes 3rd, but any gear above that and it was bad. I got a couple of factory coils and roatated them around until it went away.

It ended up being a coil, thanks for everyone's input!

Users who are viewing this thread