engine rebuild crank shaft spacers?

lightning ride

Established Member
I am in the process of assembly my motor. One problem has come about, this is about the crank shaft install and is something I never say on any previous motors.

The rear main journal has cut aways on both sides, it look like half moon shape spacers with tabs go into these slots. Is this correct and what are they used for? ---crank end shaft play maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

One helpfull hint. Anyone who decides to increase horsepower above 475 hp do yourself a favor---buy a good set of rods and install. Your motor will fail thats a promise the rods in these motors is a powder formed product made to handle at best 450 hp.

Ted

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
Mine is appart I'm problably taking off the pistons tonight I did notice those half moon spacers. Yes I beliave there for stopping play.

Twisted99

Established Member
Sounds like you are talking about axial or radial thrust washers...

You need to check the play with a dial indicator and check run out..

Probably would be a good idea to have the block magnafluxed
and hot tanked....check specs and start from there.

New blocks for these are not too costly....maybe the better option.

maybe that the halfmoons are shims which can be replaced...

I ain't been into mine yet but soon..

Last edited:

lightning ride

Established Member
AUYON,

If you have your engine bolted to an engine stand, be careful when you remove the rear main bearing. These bearings that I asked about like to drop out. I know from experience. If I new they were their I would of marked them and make it easier for the rebuild. Also, the rear seal cover and seals be careful with. The Ford dealer could not tell me if this can with the gasket sets.

TWISTED99

I fluxed the block and had to buy a new one.

LIGHTNING LARRY

I know Manley makes a nice rod and they are going in the motor along with many other things.

Any one that actually has rebuilt one of these motors and installed these side mounted bearings please let us know what you found. Manuals are good but experience is better.

John M.

Banned
As stated above, Those are the Thrust bearings. If you need any further help PM me, Ive built several mod motors for race aplications and Im a Ford Tech

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
now we all know who to call when we are having a problem with our truck motors..........BUZZ LIGHTYEAR!!!!!!!
:-D :-D :-D

Users who are viewing this thread