Engine tick

onefastcar

Established Member
The other day I was out in the car and ran a vette took the car up to 6k rpm and got out of it then I was crusin home and I notice it was down on power and I could hear a noise coming from the motor . when it is just idling you can really hear tell noise coming from the exhaust. The car has 29k miles on it rear head cooling mod vmp tvs 3.2 upper 4 lb lower at 22lb of boost return return fuel system full bassina exhaust the car makes 705 on this setup I always put a can of torco in a full tank . I pulled the spark plugs tell number 6 cylinder the grounding electrode broke off . I hope the problem is in the heads where the noise is coming from . Any help will be greatly appreciated

cj428mach

Established Member
The other day I was out in the car and ran a vette took the car up to 6k rpm and got out of it then I was crusin home and I notice it was down on power and I could hear a noise coming from the motor . when it is just idling you can really hear tell noise coming from the exhaust. The car has 29k miles on it rear head cooling mod vmp tvs 3.2 upper 4 lb lower at 22lb of boost return return fuel system full bassina exhaust the car makes 705 on this setup I always put a can of torco in a full tank . I pulled the spark plugs tell number 6 cylinder the grounding electrode broke off . I hope the problem is in the heads where the noise is coming from . Any help will be greatly appreciated

22 psi on torco sounds like the reason your motor is ticking.

MG0h3

Established Member
Well grab a bore scope and take a look. Unless you pinged hard enough to melt the strap into oblivion I'd say you probably hurt some hard parts.

Quick Strike

Established Member
22 psi on torco sounds like the reason your motor is ticking.

That is just not true. I have been running up to 25# in mine with Torco and 93 octane for almost 6 years. It is all in the tune or maybe, in this case, the lack of one. A compression and leak down test should be next.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well you may have a failed cam chain tensioner. I just had that happen to me. Car developed a ticking sound. I lost oil pressure about a month ago and tore the engine down tonight and found the shoes that tension the chains on the cams busted off on the top side and the bottom one shaved down to metal, the shavings plugged up the oil pickup tube.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
who knows what caused it but torco........My tuner said he wouldnt even put that stuff in his lawn mower

Quick Strike

Established Member
who knows what caused it but torco........My tuner said he wouldnt even put that stuff in his lawn mower

People are quick to kill what they fear or do not understand. I'd find a tuner that is not short sighted. Why would you want to raise the octane level in your mower? Is he going to add more timing and mow taller grass?

onefastcar

Established Member
Did a compression test all cylinder were a 160 but 2 of them did a wet compression test and it stayed low which means it's in the top end end . Just need to find out what broke now

hotcobra03

Established Member
Did a compression test all cylinder were a 160 but 2 of them did a wet compression test and it stayed low which means it's in the top end end . Just need to find out what broke now

What 2 were low..and how low..

160..you did this on a cold engine?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op I'm curious how your hitting 22 psi with your pulley setup.

Users who are viewing this thread