Engine Whine

jack_feenix

Established Member
Hello ive been reading a lot of threads and noticed some people mentioning a super charger type whine in there gts i have a 2012 gt that has it as well. So im starting this thread to see if its a normal thing the engine does? would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Its not the engine, its the manual transmission. I'm surprised yours has it since it seems like that was a thing on the '11 models only.

atistang

Established Member
is it normal or something to go check out?

is it very loud? or do you have to listen for it?

if you have plenty of mileage and time left on your warranty then i would keep driving it and see if it gets worst or not

a transmission really shouldn't whine, but some do. the trans in my truck has been doing it for the last 50-k miles and i'm hard on it, plus i pulled my boat a lot this summer and its no louder than it was when i bought it 50k miles ago

although, i have found people with the same truck find out theres was whining because of a cracked bearing race, and i have head mt-82 owners find the same issues causing their whine

Last edited:

jack_feenix

Established Member
is it very loud? or do you have to listen for it?

if you have plenty of mileage and time left on your warranty then i would keep driving it and see if it gets worst or not

a transmission really shouldn't whine, but some do. the trans in my truck has been doing it for the last 50-k miles and i'm hard on it, plus i pulled my boat a lot this summer and its no louder than it was when i bought it 50k miles ago

although, i have found people with the same truck find out theres was whining because of a cracked bearing race, and i have head mt-82 owners find the same issues causing their whine

i guess its worth getting checked out at the dealer i just wanted to make sure it wasnt a normal thing and i would make a fool out of myself. Im only on 2k miles so far and i do have to listen to it, but i think its due to the flowmasters making additional cabin noise i mostly hear it between gears 4 and 5 sometimes 2 and 3 gear 6 i rarely use unless my soundsytem is blasting cause the drone frm the flowmasters at 2k rpms just annoys the shit out of me.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
The job 1 12's have this problem also. It's not a 2011 only problem.

Wow I thought that was a thing of the past with the '12 models. That sucks! Just when I started thinking about maybe a manual down the road won't be a bad idea. Thanks for the clarification.

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
i cant belive all these tranny problems. mines an 11 with 13k miles and i have just slightly sticky shifting. thats it so far. does it sound similar to gear whine or something?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i cant belive all these tranny problems. mines an 11 with 13k miles and i have just slightly sticky shifting. thats it so far. does it sound similar to gear whine or something?

Your car is fine buddy. 99% of these guys have no clue what they are talking about.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Your car is fine buddy. 99% of these guys have no clue what they are talking about.

This^

A lot of manual transmissions whine or have slight gear noise, unless it's grinding going into gears, or howling you have no worry.

Go search you tube and see just how many people post up videos of many different makes for trans whine/noise and you can get an idea of what is a issue and what is not. A lot has to do with the angle's they cut the gears at, depending on how they mesh/wear you may exhibit some noise.

Users who are viewing this thread