Engineers, please assist my Cobra with driveway clearance.

PDubs

Established Member
After having my exhaust installed (Magnaflow XPipe and c/b), I've noticed that the clearance is a little less now. This has started to pose a problem with my driveway. Of all things to prepare clearance for, I never thought I would have a problem with this. Below is a crude graphic. Street level is to the left of point A of course:
Driveway.jpg

Here's the problem:

1) If I drive the car into the garage going front end first, then the joints connecting the pipe and c/b will scratch point B just a little bit
2) If I back the car garage, then the cats on the pipe don't scratch, but that is the closest point of the car to point B and I have to drive really, really slow.

Sooo....since I'm leasing this house, is there something I can do that DOES NOT include changing exhaust? ;)

Car has no other mods (suspension is stock, headers are stock) that would affect clearance. Point B is the only problem. There are no issues getting into the garage at point C. And the distance AB is approx 3ft. I'm trying to think of something that I can use without permanently affecting the driveway. Thanks for any/all solutions/ideas.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
If it's regular pipe clamps, just flip them over and put the fastener side up and tighten with a wrench..

That will work if it's hitting as little as you say..

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Take a couple of 2x12 boards and lay them crossways in the dips parallel to your garage door. One board at point "A", and one board at point "C". See it that helps your cause any.

Or, you could get a 3" suspension lift, I hear those are pretty "hip" right now... :D :D

03DOHC

Established Member
Loosen the exhaust manifold to x-pipe fasteners and the x-pipe to cat-back fasteners and push the x-pipe up some then torque it down. It shouldn't hang down that much further than stock. I have the same exhaust as you and haven't hit anything.........yet.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Loosen the exhaust manifold to x-pipe fasteners and the x-pipe to cat-back fasteners and push the x-pipe up some then torque it down. It shouldn't hang down that much further than stock. I have the same exhaust as you and haven't hit anything.........yet.
Im surprised it took this long to get someone to suggest this.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
Im surprised it took this long to get someone to suggest this.

Go to a 4X4 shop and get a 4 inch lift kit, and some 30 inch tires put on it. You will never have this problem again, and you would also gain a very original Mustang.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Mr Payne
i8u, do you think that the board which covers C would even be needed?

It would depend on if and how much the rear wheels had started to go up the incline between points a and b. You could try. If the rear wheel havent started to go up the incline yet.....No you would have to change b to c also. You could to just changing b-c also.

First try to adjust you exhaust like others have suggested. If that doesn't work get some boards and play around.

:beer:

PDubs

Established Member
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't think that the exhaust should hang so low.

Users who are viewing this thread