Enter data on TOB problems here

Enter data for TOB problem here

• I have/had a bad TOB. My car is basically stock.

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • I have/had bad TOB which ruined retainer and had to replace T56. My car is stock.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I have had no TOB problems. My car is stock.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Same as 1, but my car is a torque monster

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Same as 2, but my car is a torque monster

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Same as 3, but my car is a torque monster

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I have had the problem more than once!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I'll be the first to vote. I've not had a problem yet, but am concerned since it seems to be so pervasive.

Edit: Just to be clear, choices 1, 2 and 3 are for cars that are stock, or "nearly" stock. By "nearly" stock, I mean things like cat back, CAI, throttle body, etc. For choices 4, 5 and 6, I'm referring to cars that were more heavily modified. This includes cars with items mentioned above in addition to a pulley and chip, or all the way up to a KB blower upgrade. Choice 7 refers to any car. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

yermo

Established Member
I had the TOB problem within the first 3,000 miles. At the time i had a C&L mass meter and had been down the 1/4 mile a couple times.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Problems at 4.5K. New clutch and goodies at 9K. Problems at 12-14K AGAIN. Ruined retainer. Voided warranty. $1500 of my money later, and I MIGHT finally have a solution.

Friendchicken

your poll is a bit misleading... define torque monster ona stock car and how would it differnciate between option 1 2 or 3?

I'd be more interested to see TOB issue on stock, basic mods, and CPIE cars.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
98kobra - I'm with ya, but one can only put in so many choices in these polls. (The limit is 10). So by "basically" stock, I mean cars from purely stock trim to those with minor mods such as exhaust, CAI, TB, or the like. So obviously "torqe monster" is defined to include everything from beyond that from pulley+chip up to the KB boys (and gals). Sorry we couldn't make the resolution any finer.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Mine was making a 'metallic modulating squealing' noise after the catbacks and filter. Went to get it fixed before any mods and it would not make the noise in the dealership.
Tried to get it to misbehave two diff times at dealer.

Have pulley and chip, hear the 'metallic modulating squealing' from time to time, but in the meantime have done 15 full burnouts and 30 or 40 launches and can get a 1.9 60ft launching fairly softly. Don't know if it is going to break tonight or never...
JW

Last edited:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
3500 miles, just started to hear the sqeaking. Clutch in, dont hear it. Not only that, but you can almost hear a very slight grinding noise when the clutch is out, but put it in, and it stops? I dont get it?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The only symptom I've had is an intermittent vibration in the clutch pedal. To me, that's a sign something is awry. No noise though - at least not that I can hear. I'm assuming the squealing noise is of varying degrees. One guy wrote that he had to stick his head out the window to hear it while someone else drove. Maybe I should try that. I've been listening very carefully with the windows down, and really can't hear anything.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
got my car June 2002. TOB was squealing and replaced in Oct 2002. Noise returned Nov 2002 and replaced TOB, clutch assy, pressure plate, flywheel.

just picked my car up today with a new Spec Stage III clutch installed with aluminum flywheel. I toasted the clutch running a track event and my Mod friendly dealer had said they couldnt submit the clutch replacement under warranty. So I decided to upgrade to a clutch that is rated to 600 rwhp. Takes a little getting used to it. Feather light pedal, but it sure grips fast.

The dealer had tig welded the tranny input shaft as a method to harden it from the problems they had with the retainer. I had them take some photos so I could post them on the board for all to see what I am talking about.

Pleasure to get out of the loaner mustang 6 cyl auto and back into my cobra. Sweet

AzDropTop

Established Member
So was it the tranny input shaft causing all the trouble? Seems I've heard that has caused many a Throw out bearing to go bad? I just replaced my clutch and have only 1000 miles on it and I have a squeal already. I am very pissed at this point.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by AzDropTop
So was it the tranny input shaft causing all the trouble? Seems I've heard that has caused many a Throw out bearing to go bad? I just replaced my clutch and have only 1000 miles on it and I have a squeal already. I am very pissed at this point.

I still don't see how the input shaft could cause it. The input shaft doesn't even touch the TOB or retainer. My guess is it's the retainer and release fork combined with the crappy Ford TOB, but I'll let you know this week when I have it apart.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I still don't see how the input shaft could cause it. The input shaft doesn't even touch the TOB or retainer. My guess is it's the retainer and release fork combined with the crappy Ford TOB, but I'll let you know this week when I have it apart.

Thanks. I asked you the same question on the other thread in the 03 forum. :beer: Guess I'll have to look into the retainer being bad...

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
1st TOB replaced at appx 9K miles - car had basic mods (CAI, exhaust).

2nd TOB was squealing within 3K miles of install. Installed the steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant along with 6lb lower & chip and haven't heard a sqeak from the TOB since:shrug:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
How would the new quadrant help w/ the TOB problem? (Not flaming you, just don't know how that would affect it.)

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
in my 98 I had every freakin TOB problem in the universe. The squealing however was affected by moving the steeda clutch adjuster. The tighter you adjusted it, the worse the squeal...bringing it out seemed to stop it. I tried this numerous times when I was sitting in a parking lot in neutral and would hear it make noise. Adjusting it out changed the pitch and then it would vanish. Maybe it is a clutch adjustment issue. My mechanic once had a theory ....something about slack on the TOB after the clutch is engaged :shrug:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Clutch, PP, TOB, DS replaced @ 4500 miles, rear diff rebuilt too.
Clutch, PP, TOB, DS, Tranny replaced @ 7500 miles, rear diff rebuilt again too.

I still have the vibe, it starts around 74 MPH now.

The clutch makes a slight nois when you push it in, I think it is the release fork pivot.

Car has just over 10K miles now, bought 1 year ago, this month.

What a frickin beast :-D

I love it despite all of the problems (spoiler gasket, TOB, vibe, you name it, I have it)

-Brian

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I know the sample size isn't very big, but so far a little more than 50% have had problems w/ their TOB !! (As of 9/16/03 7:44PM EST)

Users who are viewing this thread