Envy is Motivating... My Day with an FGT

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Envy is Motivating... My Day with a Ford GT

A friend of mine has a Blue GT and needed me to install some new tires for him ( It seemed that Hoosier R6's failed inspection). Much to my surprise he dropped it off at my house on Sunday afternoon and said " You take it to work with you and then bring it home when it's finished."

When we sold our GT, the owner ( for obvious reason) did not want it driven. So It was my 1st time in one. Needless to say I took the long way to and from work.

A remarkable car,

Owners...Enjoy them guys, what an truly amazing machine! We got 100 for all of Canada and 67 of them the dealers (unlike us) kept theirs.

The difficulty is now I have to have one (made my modded Saleen feel like a focus this morning):lol: However, my 40th Brthday is coming up and my wife has very specific instructions... Tungsten with Silver Stripes w/ BBS wheels

DSC01466.jpg

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Yes these are remarkable cars!!
A friend of mine owns a 2005 Midnight Blue with stripe delete. I think only one in color and options he got.
Either way he took me for a ride in his one day. The handling is where this car really shines. I didnt think it was all that fast but when it came to turns stuck to the road like nothing else.
I even followed him in my cobra one afternoon. I was able to keep up with him in straights but when it came to corners he had me. BUT Im hoping once I get suspension work done I will be able to stay with him if not pass him.:rockon:

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
damn why cant someone drop me off a car like that, or a ZR1, viper, z06 :( i wouldnt speed i promise.

Seahorse

Established Member
There are 3 of 'em local to me and I see two of them fairly regularly - can only imagine what it's like to drive one. Can't believe how low they are either each time I eyeball one. :rockon:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I have had the opportunity to drive a GT on multiple occassions and it is awesome. The gearing is very long, but the car itself is very easy to drive.

The hardest part is trying to back up and having such limited visibility.

KMCBOSS

Established Member
Yes these are remarkable cars!!
A friend of mine owns a 2005 Midnight Blue with stripe delete. I think only one in color and options he got.
Either way he took me for a ride in his one day. The handling is where this car really shines. I didnt think it was all that fast but when it came to turns stuck to the road like nothing else.
I even followed him in my cobra one afternoon. I was able to keep up with him in straights but when it came to corners he had me. BUT Im hoping once I get suspension work done I will be able to stay with him if not pass him.:rockon:

You wont stay with him long when he gets it rolling north of 160!

S197man

Established Member
Get a set of twin turbos for that bad boy! The world needs all the GT-TT's it can get :)

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
You wont stay with him long when he gets it rolling north of 160!

Yeah but where can you go 160? :shrug: We were just riding out in the country. Just enjoying the twist and turns and no traffic.

Still not bad 30k able to stay close to a 200k car. Like I said tho. In the turns the GT is just a beast with its aerodynamics and suspension.

KMCBOSS

Established Member
Yeah but where can you go 160? :shrug: We were just riding out in the country. Just enjoying the twist and turns and no traffic.

Still not bad 30k able to stay close to a 200k car. Like I said tho. In the turns the GT is just a beast with its aerodynamics and suspension.

"Close" is a pretty nebulous term! The FGT is one of the fastest cars in the world - only a hand full of cars would be able to keep up with it - let alone pass - not even a super snake!

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
"Close" is a pretty nebulous term! The FGT is one of the fastest cars in the world - only a hand full of cars would be able to keep up with it - let alone pass - not even a super snake!

Ok. The GT has what 500-550hp at crank? My car is 566wrhp. So hp advantge is to me. But wieght advantage is to him.
The guy doesnt take his car out much. Only rode with him once and followed him one other time. The time I followed him I was riding on stock 17x9 with stock goodyears. I was able to stay with him in staights but turns my a$$ end was getting kinda loose. But hitting a turn at 100+mph can do that.
I still want to line them up side by side and see how it performs with it.

Here is a video I found. Maybe its a drivers race. :shrug:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZWH95sCZhk&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - 04 KB Cobra (606hp) VS Ford GT (550hp)[/ame]

I think a supersnake would be able to pass it. Unless you are talking mods for mods on the cars. Then its not even close.
But if you mean supersnake vs stock GT. I think Supersnake would have advantage.

Avenger

Established Member
Well, my father's got a Ford GT and I can tell you straight line acceleration is not where they shine the most. He put about 2 lengths on me from 20mph to 120mph and I'm running around in a ported / pullied Eaton making 500whp / 510wtq. He made 515whp / 485wtq if I remember correctly.

We never actually took it to higher speeds but I bet it would have gotten ugly for me. :D Handling is awesome but the most impressive thing to me was the braking ! Maybe it's the mid-engine design but it feels so solid when you hit that middle pedal its ridiculous. I can tell you there's not much nose dive on these cars :lol:

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

Established Member
Ok. The GT has what 500-550hp at crank? My car is 566wrhp. So hp advantge is to me. But wieght advantage is to him.
The guy doesnt take his car out much. Only rode with him once and followed him one other time. The time I followed him I was riding on stock 17x9 with stock goodyears. I was able to stay with him in staights but turns my a$$ end was getting kinda loose. But hitting a turn at 100+mph can do that.
I still want to line them up side by side and see how it performs with it.

Here is a video I found. Maybe its a drivers race. :shrug:
YouTube - 04 KB Cobra (606hp) VS Ford GT (550hp)

I think a supersnake would be able to pass it. Unless you are talking mods for mods on the cars. Then its not even close.
But if you mean supersnake vs stock GT. I think Supersnake would have advantage.

The FGT weighs about 3700 - not sure about your 03. The only way the really know what you have is to take it to something like the Texas Mile and run it. One thing about the GT is that it was designed to run 200 and aerodynamics plays a big part. The Mustang is a brick! Don't get me wrong, I own a 07 Shelby GT500 and a 70 BOSS 302 - I love Mustangs - it is tough to get a Mustang to the performance level of an FGT.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
The FGT weighs about 3700 - not sure about your 03. The only way the really know what you have is to take it to something like the Texas Mile and run it. One thing about the GT is that it was designed to run 200 and aerodynamics plays a big part. The Mustang is a brick! Don't get me wrong, I own a 07 Shelby GT500 and a 70 BOSS 302 - I love Mustangs - it is tough to get a Mustang to the performance level of an FGT.

Ok. Yeah the GT would win the Texas mile bec of aerodynamics. Im talking on the street or the strip. I think the GT500 with a KB would beat a GT. Maybe even a 03-04 Cobra with a KB would beat one. Mostly a drivers race at that point.
I think my car weighs in at 3800-3900 pounds at most.

KMCBOSS

Established Member
Didn't you own a grabber orange '70 Boss 9?

Yes, sold it a few years ago to buy a FORD GT. The BOSS 429 and FORD GT were my dream cars growing up.....very fortunate to be able to say I have owned both. The BOSS 9 was a car that required constant maintenance to be able to drive. The FGT - you just jump into and go - nothing but oil changes for the past 3 years....little or no maintenance headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread