EPA goes after SCT

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
I hope this isnt a duplicate post but just in case it hasnt, basically EPA is going after SCT due to there off road tuning, the off road use only statement doesnt hold water because nobody abides by that

Important Notice from SCT Performance

IMPORTANT SCT Dealer News November 9th, 2011
RE: SCT Off-Road Diesel Programmers

Dear SCT Customer,
We regret to inform you that, effective immediately, SCT will no longer be offering for sale any of the following SCT products:
9625OR
9621OR
3025OR
3067OR
4067OR
4416OR

3416LMMOR
8900OR
4015OR
8967OR
ORTUNE

Our decision to discontinue these products is based on recent statements made by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding diesel performance products intended solely for racing/off-road use. The EPA and CARB have taken the position that the manufacturer of such products is solely responsible for the proper use of those products by the end-user. Despite our best efforts to carefully develop and implement procedures designed to ensure that each purchaser of our off-road/race-only products is aware of his or her legal obligations and promises to use those products in a lawful manner, as of this time we have not been able to gain satisfactory assurance that such measures will be considered adequate by the EPA and CARB. Consequently, we have chosen to withdraw our off-road/race-only products from the marketplace until we are able to verify that the sale of those products can be achieved in a manner that satisfies EPA’s and CARB’s concerns.

We will continue to monitor developments with regard to applicable federal and state legal requirements. If and when we are able to re-introduce these products into the marketplace in a manner that definitively meets all EPA and CARB requirements, we will do so. In the meantime, we trust that you will understand the basis for our decision.

Thank you for your continued support.
Regards,

Rick Trudo, President - SCT Performance, LLC.

my98stang46

Established Member
*** the EPA and Cali can sink into the abyss for all I care. That's like saying that Ford is responsible for people not speeding or racing in their product. It's just absurd

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
That is such bs. Where is SEMA when you need them? Too much government regulation going on for sure.

-Eric

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
they need better lawyers, it will just cost them and sadly the consumer to fix this. They gonna sue summit for selling off road only stuff as well?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Crap, guess I better save my tune on my thunb drive. Not sure who's gonna turn off my rear 02 sensors now, dammit to shit!

TVSCobra

Established Member
****ing EPA.....they have not clue what and the hell they are doing. There are so many other things that harm the planet and this is what they go after......morons.

tistan

Established Member
This sucks balls. I wonder if they are going to go after any of the other tuning companies?

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Stupid EPA, this is what kills the enthusiasts. They want everyone to drive the same car thats green friendly like robots. A off road tune isn't going to kill the ozone layer. SMH.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Big brother at work... yes lets go after the 1% of cars on the road sporting an "off road" tune. Emissions testing will soon follow.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I believe Rick Perry mentioned something about closing down some out of control federal agencies.
I'd vote for him...again.

I would love to see this group of bureaucrats get neutered and put on unemployment without pension.:bash::burn:

CLOSE THE EPA and the ENERGY departments... PLEEEEEEEASE!

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
It still wont stop me from going aftermarket. Motec it will be if I have to drop the coin.

Also I just looked at their site and they still have the products listed.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Are all those Diesel tunes/programmers?

Thats interesting since CARB doesnt have much of an issue with smogging diesels. Its coming down the pipe but for now its still just a visual inspection and OBDII read as far as I recall. Makes me wonder why theyre targeting diesels, some ****** at the EPA mustve had his windows down and gotten a smoky drive-by and gotten his suit all covered in the cloud.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Can't you get diesel tunes from overseas tuners or out of state tuners? I understand SCT is a major player. Any competing tunes you can transition to?

Ironhand

Banned
Thats like sueing Tojan for getting your girl pregnant after the condom breaks.

:nono:

EPA has alot of paperwork, the fact that they exist is hurting the planet. Tell them to go away like the mullets in the 80s.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Its just not motorsports companies. They have been going after a lot of different industries since you know who took office. The coal industry was first. A federal judge just ruled a few weeks ago that the EPA didn't have authority to shut down mines and cancel or withhold mining permits. The state and MANY public officials and people had a meeting with them last night to get the situation resolved. I have not heard what went on yet. EPA has gotten way to big for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread