EPA to impose new regulations on woodstoves

UncleDan

Established Member
This is just great. So will the government be eyeballing and taxing the wood we use to heat our homes with now? What a sham! Screw the EPA and their quest to create more tax revenue. So many people rely on wood stoves to get through the winter without killing their bank accounts on oil & gas bills...

EPA proposes restrictions for new wood stoves | Fox News

FAIRBANKS, Alaska – The federal Environmental Protection Agency has proposed new standards for wood stoves that would reduce the maximum amount of fine particulate emissions allowed for new stoves sold in 2015 and 2019.

Maximum emissions would be reduced by one-third next year and by 80 percent in five years, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported.

Fine particulate pollution is made up of solid particles and liquid droplets that measure 2.5 micrometers in diameter or less. The EPA currently certifies non-catalytic wood stoves if they produce less than 7.5 grams of fine particulate per hour.

Fine particulate absorbed by breathing has been linked to heart attacks, decreased lung function and premature death in people with heart or lung disease.

The proposed EPA regulations would reduce that to 4.5 grams per hour for stoves manufactured after the regulations go into place next year.

The standards would tighten again in 2019. New stoves could emit just 1.3 grams per hour.

Wood stoves already installed or for sale are not affected by the regulations, the EPA announced Friday.

The EPA in its announcement said dollars spent for compliance would be made up in medical cost savings.

"When these standards are fully implemented, EPA estimates that for every dollar spent to comply with these standards, the American public will see between $118 and $267 in health benefits," it said. "Consumers will also see a monetary benefit from efficiency improvements in the new wood stoves, which use less wood to heat homes. The total health and economic benefits of the proposed standards are estimated to be at $1.8 (billion) to $2.4 billion annually."

The EPA will take public comment on the proposed changes for 90 days.

Tmatt142

Established Member
Wood stoves already installed or for sale are not affected by the regulations, the EPA announced Friday.

take a deep breath…...

UncleDan

Established Member

take a deep breath…...

Well, how much do you think the price of oil will be in 2020? How much do you think property and income taxes will be? They will only go up. It's the idea that they're hitting you from every corner possible.

03'Darin

Established Member
It looks to me like they're just tightening the emissions requirements on the stoves. I realize it could potentially increase the cost of the stoves but it states in that article that the development cost for the manufactures will be credited back in health care savings. I won't waste my time going into why we pay people to come of with the cost/benefit analysis on stupid crap like this.

But on a similar topic I'm in the market for a wood stove. I don't need it to burn anything besides firewood. I've narrowed down that I want a welded steel model with north south loading and non catalyst. I need it to heat about 3,000 plus square feet. It will be sitting in a family room so I want something that looks decent but doesn't need to be anything fancy. Anyone familiar with the current market of new wood stoves that can give me suggestions?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Looks like there will be a black market for pre-2015 used stoves....ok maybe I am overstating the situation?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
what the ****, wood stoves, burning wood that burns naturally in the environment is under scrutiny for emissions?

UncleDan

Established Member
what the ****, wood stoves, burning wood that burns naturally in the environment is under scrutiny for emissions?

I don't really understand how you regulate emissions on a wood stove other than making it smaller.

The best part is their excuse of "it will reduce healthcare costs." It amazes me that these people can say it with a straight face.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
What about wood burning fireplaces? They gonna regulate them too? Don't forget camp fires, they're next on the list of things the federal government needs to be concerned about.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
What about wood burning fireplaces? They gonna regulate them too? Don't forget camp fires, they're next on the list of things the federal government needs to be concerned about.

they are definitely next. out here some cities have already banned fire pits on the beaches.

land of the free? not anymore! :bash:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Every member on SVTP running a catless exhaust should join me in a mass burnout gathering at the EPA's headquarters. Can you imagine the stroke they'd have if they saw that

Yellazxr

Established Member
Anyone got a pre-ban class III wood stove?

I really cannot imagine that wood freaking stoves are that big of a deal, probably all of them combined produce less emissions than all of the vehicles in the smallest county in the US.

UncleDan

Established Member
I really cannot imagine that wood freaking stoves are that big of a deal, probably all of them combined produce less emissions than all of the vehicles in the smallest county in the US.

They aren't. It's just another way to milk more tax money from people.

Tbonez3858

Established Member
As an OG I can confirm this country has lost its identity and its mind....It didn't use to be his way.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
Anyone got a pre-ban class III wood stove?

//snip//

i have one that's pre-'15 registered. it originally cost me $500 back in '12, long before the wood stove panic.

there's a $200 tax, finger prints, LE signature, pass port photos and citizenship form you'll need to fill out. if everything goes well you'll get your approval in 9 or 10 months.

given the registration and increased demand for pre-ban stoves, i'll need $3,500 + shipping. oh, that brings up another point, if you're not in VA i'll need to ship it to a Class III stove dealer in your state first... that's another $200 tax and an additional 45 to 90 days + whatever transfer fee he charges.

should be just in time for you to heat your house NEXT winter.

..... i also have some pre-ban 60 watt incan light bulbs for sale.....

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
i have one that's pre-'15 registered. it originally cost me $500 back in '12, long before the wood stove panic.

there's a $200 tax, finger prints, LE signature, pass port photos and citizenship form you'll need to fill out. if everything goes well you'll get your approval in 9 or 10 months.

given the registration and increased demand for pre-ban stoves, i'll need $3,500 + shipping. oh, that brings up another point, if you're not in VA i'll need to ship it to a Class III stove dealer in your state first... that's another $200 tax and an additional 45 to 90 days + whatever transfer fee he charges.

should be just in time for you to heat your house NEXT winter.

..... i also have some pre-ban 60 watt incan light bulbs for sale too.....

I saw what you did there. And I ejaculated in glee.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The EPA will never come out and say that the air is clean enough and they can wind down their research division. Enough will never be enough. Now that diesel and gas engines are at near zero emissions, they are going for the CO2/hp regulations. Next time you see a field of wild flowers and no butterflies, the EPA will be the reason. The catalyst to clean-up the butterfly farts was so heavy, the butterflies starved to death when they were unable to fly.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Guys don't worry once I get out of welding school and on my feet, I will hand build wood stoves for all my brethren!!! Of course at cost of materials though

Users who are viewing this thread