Evans NPG+ lots of questions.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I did a Google search for site:performance.com Evans npg" and found a little bit but I still have questions.

I am heavily leaning toward using this stuff...but want to do it right.

1. The biggest question is about driving in cold weather. The way I read the specs at 50F this stuff is thicker than motor oil....what will this do to the impeller in the stock water pump on cold startup?
2. I know this stuff runaway hotter because it does a better job pulling heat out of the block. Does than mean that I should run a 160* thermostat? Or would something higher than the stock 180* better?
3. What about running this in the heat exchange system? As I understand it, this stuff works better because it has a higher boiling point...since the HE system never get that hot, is water better in the HE system?

I ran the NPG+ in my 01 Cobra all year round until my motor blew (not related to the coolant). I think its more beneficial for OT guys, not the street. There are other ways to effectively lower temps without getting this radical. I'll tell you this...its not easy to perfectly drain the stock system of its glycol based coolant. When I did minje, I sent them a sample of the coolant as they would test it to see what percentage of glycol based coolant was left in the system. I got it to 98% free.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I ran the NPG+ in my 01 Cobra all year round until my motor blew (not related to the coolant). I think its more beneficial for OT guys, not the street. There are other ways to effectively lower temps without getting this radical. I'll tell you this...its not easy to perfectly drain the stock system of its glycol based coolant. When I did minje, I sent them a sample of the coolant as they would test it to see what percentage of glycol based coolant was left in the system. I got it to 98% free.

I do plan to occasionally OT my car (in fact I have a HPDE in 2 days). Do you OT your 2003 cobra? If so, is there a reason you didn't put NPG+ in the car?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
i cant stress this enough. DO NOT USE EVANS!!! I built a motor for this guys 65 vette and he insisted on getting Evans for his car, spent like $200 on it. Not only did it make his car go all the way up to 250 DEGREES, it literally cooked the oil to the oil pan, and discolored his crank thats how hot it made his oil! Just stick to the glycol based coolant, dont waste your money...

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
i cant stress this enough. DO NOT USE EVANS!!! I built a motor for this guys 65 vette and he insisted on getting Evans for his car, spent like $200 on it. Not only did it make his car go all the way up to 250 DEGREES, it literally cooked the oil to the oil pan, and discolored his crank thats how hot it made his oil! Just stick to the glycol based coolant, dont waste your money...

Are you sure there wasn't some other problem? The NPG+ is designed to run hotter than glycol coolant. If the liquid is pulling more heat away from the engine block, the liquid will get hotter. In addition, thermal dynamics dictate that the greater the difference in thermal energy between two points, the faster the transfer of thermal energy occurs between those two points. In other words, hotter liquid in a radiator will cool at a faster rate than a cooler liquid.

If the liquid gets hotter, but the engine block has less hot spots and stays cooler, then that's what I'm after.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Reische stat. 80/20 water/Ford Gold Coolant, low fan on at 174, high on at 178, Evenflow gen1 head cooling mod, and the car ALWAYS runs between 174*-190*. No fancy coolant, radiators, fans, differing t-stat housing/hose routing needed.

Users who are viewing this thread