Ever go from 3rd to 2nd at 70?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
If you could kindly share how to properly "adjust" your MGW shifter then that would be delightful.

I did the same thing when I first installed my MGW shifter. I kept going from third to second instead of fourth.

I had to rotate the handle away from the drivers seat so it was nearly straight up-and-down. That helped a lot.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Wow! This is the very first time I've ever heard anything negative about the MGW shifter. I have a Pro 5.0 with George's handle and have never had any issue finding the right gate. The only problem I ever have is that stupid shifter ball is so slick and terribly shaped for quick shifts. My hand slips off it going into third if you don't have a great grip on it. It's too hot here for a T handle. God I'd love to have a pistol grip ala the old Mopars. If you ever drove one, you know what I mean. Terrible shifters...but fantastic grips. They were neat!

Wharf Rat

Established Member
I did it at the track once. :nonono: :eek:

I wasn't used to my new shifter yet and I went for the 3-4 and went 3-2. Revs shot up and the back end hopped a little and pointed me a pinch sideways before I could get the clutch back in. I almost soiled my shorts on that one. Car was fine and that had to have been at over 100 so you should be fine. I was lucky that I didn't smoke the wall much less destroy the tranny.

Brad

Banned
Wharf Rat said:
I did it at the track once. :nonono: :eek:

I wasn't used to my new shifter yet and I went for the 3-4 and went 3-2. Revs shot up and the back end hopped a little and pointed me a pinch sideways before I could get the clutch back in. I almost soiled my shorts on that one. Car was fine and that had to have been at over 100 so you should be fine. I was lucky that I didn't smoke the wall much less destroy the tranny.

Wow, must have been rough doing that infront of a live studio audience. :(

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Brad said:
Wow, must have been rough doing that infront of a live studio audience. :(

u think thats bad, one time i stalled my cobra doing a burnout at the track. i left traction control on by accident and went to do the burn out, dumped the clutch and the car just started jerking and stalled. that was a real kick in the sack.

Frank

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Wow! This is the very first time I've ever heard anything negative about the MGW shifter. I have a Pro 5.0 with George's handle and have never had any issue finding the right gate. The only problem I ever have is that stupid shifter ball is so slick and terribly shaped for quick shifts. My hand slips off it going into third if you don't have a great grip on it. It's too hot here for a T handle. God I'd love to have a pistol grip ala the old Mopars. If you ever drove one, you know what I mean. Terrible shifters...but fantastic grips. They were neat!
It's easy to find the right gate if you pause. Pop the handle into neutral and the springs should align with 3-4. Push it straight up and you're in 3rd, or pull it straight back and you're in 4th. At least mine works that way. Trouble starts when you're in 5th at speed and you try to make a panic downshift to 4th without the pause. Just snatch that gear lever down and towards you and you may wind up in 2nd while you watch a valve shoot through the hood on it's way to rendevous with the space shuttle.

It's that reason which is forcing me to stop downshifting to slow the car down. A good rule of thumb is:
Gears = go
Brakes = stop.
It's a tough habit to break (no pun intended) but your engine and clutch will last longer.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
6 to 3 usually gets me 5th, but other than that I can find the gates pretty easy with the stock shifter, tri-ax and now mgw.

What surprised me the most, was going from the tri-ax to the stock shifter. The gates felt like freakin canyons. Seriously, I couldn't miss a shift for the life of me. Made me almost want to use the stock shifter. That just sealed the deal on how notchy the tri-ax is. I personally prefer the stock shifter over the tri-ax, and I challenge any of you using the tri-ax to go back to the stocker for a day. You won't believe the difference. Of course, I love the MGW, and I wouldn't use stock over it, but over the tri-ax... hmmm... tough choice. Shorter throws and notchy, or canyon wide gates with a longer smooth throw?

Users who are viewing this thread