evo vs. (almost stock, yea that's it) Cobra

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Just out for a little open air cruise tonight and I pull up to a light beside a new evo. I'm looking over chacking out the car because i haven't seen many around here and he starts revving at me. The road goes about a third of a mile up a pretty steep grade then narrows to one lane, noone else around so I'm like OK let's have some fun. The light turns and holy crap does that thing launch off the line, he's through the intersection by the time I hooked up. I hit second (which by now we're on the hill) and caught him right around the 2/3 shift, I think he was in fourth by the BOV noises anyway once I nailed third it was over quick. I think if it would have been level ground he woulda been a little harder to catch. Not much to look at but they are quick little suckers. Next light I hit the left turn lane so he pulls up on my right, looks over and sees the cobra on the side and goes :uh oh: :nonono: :shrug: :thumbsup: .

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Nice kill...I've been wondering about those Evo's. My girlfriend's classmate has a red '02 Evo VIII. He says its a blast and very quick, but I have not had the chance to run him. My gf's roommate has ridden many times in this guys Evo and verifies that its quick, but admits that my Cobra is definately is faster and has more "pull" (...she's referring to the torque). I was curious if and by how much I could pull his Evo. Well, thanks to your fine kill, I'll have a little more confidence when I run him.
Again, nice kill. BTW, I think the Cobra is 100 times more esthetically pleasing than the Evo...maybe I'm biased.

SoCalSnake

Established Member
Stupid question...how come my sig only shows when I start a new thread and doesn't appear when I do a quick reply? Am I doing something wrong...or is that normal?

03DOHC

Established Member
Your sig only shows in one post per page. If you use the quick reply you have to select the "Signature" check box.

Good kill.

StangD281

Established Member
Nice work Jim! I took a silver one from a 40 roll on the parkway. It was over by 55, and got much worse for him as the speed increased.

Nice kill! :thumbsup:

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
Nice Kill.....I want to run one of those little Evo's just to see what all the hype is about I'm hearing but from your experience must not be much I guess.

What is the horsepower rating on those things, I think someone told me around 300 once but he could be wrong, I know the STI WRX has 300, which had it's A** handed to him:lol:
Again Nice Kill

96 Cobra:
SHM block
Vortech S Trim w/aftercooler
Long Tubes/X pipe/Flows
Etc Etc 4K in other mods

90 GT:
wont start on that list

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
Nice work Jim! I took a silver one from a 40 roll on the parkway. It was over by 55, and got much worse for him as the speed increased.

Nice kill! :thumbsup:

This one was silver too, must be a slow-evo color.:lol: :lol:

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Nice kill! Im waiting to run one of those little suckers. I see more of them now than ever but yet i havnt had the chance to run one. O well there time will come i guess.

ScaryGT

Established Member
Originally posted by SSlayer96
Nice Kill.....I want to run one of those little Evo's just to see what all the hype is about I'm hearing but from your experience must not be much I guess.

What is the horsepower rating on those things, I think someone told me around 300 once but he could be wrong, I know the STI WRX has 300, which had it's A** handed to him:lol:
Again Nice Kill

I think the HP is like 340 something, but I'm pretty sure they only run the 1/4 in like 13.4 stock. Now that is pretty good, but for like 34K they should be doing better, correct. Just another stupid 4 door grocery getter IMO.

You could probably beat one of those driving your car backwards in reverse :burnout:

2000-S6

Established Member
for fun i drove an evo and took a "spirited" ride in an srt-4. to tell u the truth, the srt4 felt as if it pulled harder. that car pulled like hell with three large people in the car. i know there is a large hp difference between both cars, but dayum.

MrBonus

Established Member
Originally posted by ScaryGT
I think the HP is like 340 something, but I'm pretty sure they only run the 1/4 in like 13.4 stock. Now that is pretty good, but for like 34K they should be doing better, correct. Just another stupid 4 door grocery getter IMO.

You could probably beat one of those driving your car backwards in reverse :burnout:

Feel free to name one other car in production in that price range other than the Cobra or Mach 1 that will run in that range...

...And FXMan: Good kill! :beer:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
How about the SRT4, the WRX, the WRX STi, the Mustang GT?? All but the STi can be had for about $10 grand (or more) less and are as fast or faster in the 1320. IMHO, $34k is waaaaaaay too much for the Evo. Heck, I only paid $29k for my 03 Cobra brand new with 16 miles on it. They are fun little cars and if it were about $20k I would think about it as a daily driver though...

Last edited:

ralphy1798

Established Member
Originally posted by MrBonus
Feel free to name one other car in production in that price range other than the Cobra or Mach 1 that will run in that range...

...And FXMan: Good kill! :beer:

The Lightning

dont forget us!

oh yeah... and its a truck, so i'll help you tow or haul something afetrwards! ;-)

MrBonus

Established Member
Originally posted by ralphy1798
The Lightning

dont forget us!

oh yeah... and its a truck, so i'll help you tow or haul something afetrwards! ;-)

Dang!

Fine! Name a NON-FORD product that performs similarly. :p

Users who are viewing this thread