EVO X vs C6 Z06

rb185afm

Established Member
? Why the 4B11 rods cant handle high revs? You figure with ARP Rod bolts, as long as they dont stretch you dont have to worry about spinning a bearing. Unless Im missing something... I revved my IX on stock motor with just Cosworth M2's, GSC Beehives, meth @32psi, ARP Headstuds to 8500 with no issues.

Apparentley not. The general consensous in the Evo comunity for the X is 8000 is the limit on the stock rods even with springs and rod bolts. This is from shops such as AMS, ETS, GST and so on. That does not mean some people will not get away with it for a while. But there are already multiple failures and the rods have been the culprit in the vast majority. It looks like 450 AWTQ and 8000 rpm are the limits of the stock rods.

90GSXDan

Established Member
Damn... And they make the 4B11 look so promising with that amazing flowing head! Didnt know the rods were that bad... Bump for built 4B11's! LMAO

Dan :cheers:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I am amazed you were even able to get room to race on the GSP. I just moved out of Jersey (Nutley) and the traffic there was just crazy. The only time you could open it up anywhere was after 11 pm..... which was when the fun began. :burnout:

rb185afm

Established Member
Damn... And they make the 4B11 look so promising with that amazing flowing head! Didnt know the rods were that bad... Bump for built 4B11's! LMAO

Dan :cheers:

Well I dont know about bad. I am pretty impressed it can make over 500 whp and rev to 8k on a little factory 2L. ETS made high 700's with just some drop in pistons and rods with my turbo and E85.

90GSXDan

Established Member
Well I dont know about bad. I am pretty impressed it can make over 500 whp and rev to 8k on a little factory 2L. ETS made high 700's with just some drop in pistons and rods with my turbo and E85.

Well compare it the the 4G63 motors, it doesnt seem up to par. The head flows AMAZING on the 4B11's, where as you need to build and port the head of a 4G63 to get similar flow rates.

But when it comes to the bottom end, seems like the 4G63 stands superior to the 4B11 (IN STOCK FORM). We've already seen Mellon make over 600awhp on the stock bottom end, STM has gotten into the 9's with the stock bottom end.

FBI, ETS, and even DG Motors has been doing some nasty things with the X's tho. A local around here is making high 600's if Im not mistaken on a 6765. And its painted "Millenium Yellow", which is the same color as a 07 C6 vette.

Dan :beer:

90GSXDan

Established Member
2 questions

1) How do you brake boost while moving? I never understood this
2) Pics of evo?

I can only answer 1) for you.

Its actually quite simple. You select whichever gear you want (whichever best suites the speed you are starting at) and you have to apply the brake and throttle at the same time. You have to apply the throttle enough to put a good load on the engine to build boost (like WOT or sometimes with a smaller turbo you can do alittle more than 1/2 throttle) and you have to apply enough brake pressure to prevent the car for moving passed OR below your starting speed. Its a bit tricky if youve never done it before, so you should practice before trying in a race. You have to play around with the pedals to keep it at a higher boost and keep it going the same speed. I brake boost my car (it has a 62mm turbo so its definitely needed sometimes) and its a night and day difference of the outcome for roll racing. Hope this helped!

SlwSVT

Established Member
Boost on a 4 cylinder is a lot different then boost on a 8. 20#'s on a 4 banger, would be probably half on a 8 cylinder, if not less.

90GSXDan

Established Member
Boost on a 4 cylinder is a lot different then boost on a 8. 20#'s on a 4 banger, would be probably half on a 8 cylinder, if not less.

Of course, v8's produce ALOT more cylinder pressure than 4 bangers. But Ill tell you this, 30psi on pump gas is ALOT of fun on a 4 banger! :rockon:

SlwSVT

Established Member
Of course, v8's produce ALOT more cylinder pressure than 4 bangers. But Ill tell you this, 30psi on pump gas is ALOT of fun on a 4 banger! :rockon:

Yes, but people are asking how do you run 30#s on pump gas. I agree on the fun factor. My son has a Cobalt SS turbo that spikes to 25-26#s and it is fun little car. Myself, my Z making 11#s on a 427 and 750-800rwhp is pretty damn fun too! :beer:

rb185afm

Established Member
Well compare it the the 4G63 motors, it doesnt seem up to par. The head flows AMAZING on the 4B11's, where as you need to build and port the head of a 4G63 to get similar flow rates.

But when it comes to the bottom end, seems like the 4G63 stands superior to the 4B11 (IN STOCK FORM). We've already seen Mellon make over 600awhp on the stock bottom end, STM has gotten into the 9's with the stock bottom end.

FBI, ETS, and even DG Motors has been doing some nasty things with the X's tho. A local around here is making high 600's if Im not mistaken on a 6765. And its painted "Millenium Yellow", which is the same color as a 07 C6 vette.

I have to disagree. I think they are pretty close with a slight bump to the 4G. My understanding of the 4G63 is its safe limit is around 450 wtq also. Of course people's opinion of what is safe may vary. Both the 4g and 4B have been well into the 600's on the stock internals. It is borrowed time on both engines though. And mod for mod if the internals are the same the 4B makes more power than the 4G due to the bump in compression and better heads. That said if I wanted to build a 1000+ hp engine I would still go with the 4G just for the closed deck and iron block. It is yet to be seen if the 4B with its semi closed deck and aluminum block will or can survive at those power numbers.

90GSXDan

Established Member
I have to disagree. I think they are pretty close with a slight bump to the 4G. My understanding of the 4G63 is its safe limit is around 450 wtq also. Of course people's opinion of what is safe may vary. Both the 4g and 4B have been well into the 600's on the stock internals. It is borrowed time on both engines though. And mod for mod if the internals are the same the 4B makes more power than the 4G due to the bump in compression and better heads. That said if I wanted to build a 1000+ hp engine I would still go with the 4G just for the closed deck and iron block. It is yet to be seen if the 4B with its semi closed deck and aluminum block will or can survive at those power numbers.

Eehh it depends... STM had there stock block running low low 10's for a WHILE before it blew! Plenty of guys on EvoM and Tri-State Evo have been making over 450awtq without blowing it up. I was making 480awtq on a stock turbo and meth and never ran into any issues. I agree with the 4B possibly being able to make more power, but with a semi closed deck and aluminum block, I too am a bit skeptical on the power it can make along with longevity.

90GSXDan

Established Member
Yes, but people are asking how do you run 30#s on pump gas. I agree on the fun factor. My son has a Cobalt SS turbo that spikes to 25-26#s and it is fun little car. Myself, my Z making 11#s on a 427 and 750-800rwhp is pretty damn fun too! :beer:

Its a bunch of different factors. Your setup, octane, and most importantly your tune. Having a lower compression helps as well.

My current setup with a 9:1 motor, I run 30psi on straight 93. Tuners have to know what theyre doing as well to tune for such high boost on a low octane.

Users who are viewing this thread