Exhaust choices!! Cant decide! Help!

96snake1

Established Member
Im doing away with my MAC mufflers and cant decide which bullet style muffler to get between the Magnapacks, Dynomax race bullets, or Kooks race series.. have longtubes with full 3" pipping, true duals(no x/h pipe)...dont ask, i bought it like that, but it sounds pretty good.lol...what do you guys think?

mustanginky

Established Member
Get an x or h pipe in there w the muffler combo of your choosing. A long tube h pipe isn't very expensive and you may like it with the Mac catback

96snake1

Established Member
Get an x or h pipe in there w the muffler combo of your choosing. A long tube h pipe isn't very expensive and you may like it with the Mac catback

Do you think if i add an x pipe it would add some performance?? Dont really want spend money on it just for sound..

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The ONLY thing I can recommend is a X-pipe. Nothing bad about an X-pipe; more flow, smoother racier sound. The rest of exhaust system is almost totally subjective. What's music to my ears may be a horrid cacophony to you, and vice versa. I had one car where I went through six different exhaust configurations before I got that melodious exhaust note that pleased me. Good luck!

96snake1

Established Member
The ONLY thing I can recommend is a X-pipe. Nothing bad about an X-pipe; more flow, smoother racier sound. The rest of exhaust system is almost totally subjective. What's music to my ears may be a horrid cacophony to you, and vice versa. I had one car where I went through six different exhaust configurations before I got that melodious exhaust note that pleased me. Good luck!
Lol i went through the same thing with my 02 GT and finally landed on Flowtech afterburners...sounded awesome with the o/r x pipe...its my first 4V mustang so kinda wanted to get some good advise instead of changing set ups like my GT. At the same time i wanted a different sound to set mine apart, so decided to go with a weld in xpipe and Pypes M80s... havent seen or heard any cobra around here with that set up. Heard some samples and loved it.

96snake1

Established Member
Update...got the exhaust done. Highflow cats to full 3" pipping, weld in xpipe, to the Pypes M80s...couldnt have made a better choise. Sounds freakin awesome!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Update...got the exhaust done. Highflow cats to full 3" pipping, weld in xpipe, to the Pypes M80s...couldnt have made a better choise. Sounds freakin awesome!

LOL, I'm glad YOU are happy. It's entirely possible that most folks would hate the sound, haha. But the ONLY thing that counts is that YOU are pleased, so that's terrific.

3" tubes with hi-flow cats and Pypes means plenty of noise, so I guess there is one other person that you might have to be concerned about - Johnny Law!

Enjoy! Be safe. Glad you got the magic sound. :cool:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice combo if appears. Glad you like your new setup. How loud is it at WOT and idle? I'm just curious.

96snake1

Established Member
LOL, I'm glad YOU are happy. It's entirely possible that most folks would hate the sound, haha. But the ONLY thing that counts is that YOU are pleased, so that's terrific.

3" tubes with hi-flow cats and Pypes means plenty of noise, so I guess there is one other person that you might have to be concerned about - Johnny Law!

Enjoy! Be safe. Glad you got the magic sound. :cool:

Thanks for the heads up on the Xpipe, good advice...to be honest, its really not all that loud compared to the MAC set up i had before. I would say its same level with a smoother tone and surprisingly very little drone. I only drive it once, maybe twice a week.

Last edited:

96snake1

Established Member
Nice combo if appears. Glad you like your new setup. How loud is it at WOT and idle? I'm just curious.

Havent got the chance to really open it up under load, but wot at idle sounds a little bit quieter than my MAC set up with true duals. The thing that really sets it off is the even tone. I would say is 75% of the SLP1s as far as noise but much better sound.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up on the Xpipe, good advice...to be honest, its really not all that loud compared to the MAC set up i had before. I would say its same level with a smoother tone and surprisingly very little drone. I only drive it once, maybe twice a week.

Glad you went with x-pipe. X-pipe always produces the nicest exhaust note IMHO, and you noticed the effect, the exhaust sounds 'smoother'. It makes perfect sense as the more your exhaust is 'tuned' with things like equal length headers and x-pipe, then your exhaust note takes on almost a musically smooth tone, with all those little exhaust pulses marching out in perfect harmonious order. It's just beauuuutiful.......... haha

Users who are viewing this thread