Exhaust Drone, its killing me. recomendations?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Put some dyna-mat down to help with road noise. Plenty of good suggestions in here as well. Also, it's an older car now that wont be "quiet" with any exhaust. The drone is annoying, but can be resolved.
I will also be "that guy". Buy a Camry if you are worried about it being too loud or droning. ;)

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
My bassani full cb . Bassani catted x pipe . Quiet as a mouse at highway and cruising . Thinking going with attak . But don’t have $800 yet

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Put some dyna-mat down to help with road noise. Plenty of good suggestions in here as well. Also, it's an older car now that wont be "quiet" with any exhaust. The drone is annoying, but can be resolved.
I will also be "that guy". Buy a Camry if you are worried about it being too loud or droning. ;)
Dynamat or other sound deadening materials will help. The drone is caused by frequency vibration throughout the car. You are technically in a drum, and you need to "tune" the offensive resonance out. It is audio feedback if you would like to imagine it as such.

There is a lot of science in exhaust that people forget about. X, H, Prochamber, straight pipes, catted, and O/R mid pipes all produce different frequencies. The same goes with pipe diameter and material. The position of the muffler, and the muffler type also creates frequencies that are all combined to give the tone you hear from the exhaust tips.

Some of the guys here have experimented and have found combinations that work great, and do not cause a drone in the cabin of the car.

I would try sound deadening material first if you like the tone you have.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

bigmoose

Established Member
Also keep in mind a new exhaust will sound different from a seasoned one. I had a magnaflow which at first was nice and quiet but as soot built up inside it got significantly louder.

I switched to a steeda and couldn't be happier. Less drone than magnaflow for me anyway.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Also keep in mind a new exhaust will sound different from a seasoned one. I had a magnaflow which at first was nice and quiet but as soot built up inside it got significantly louder.

I switched to a steeda and couldn't be happier. Less drone than magnaflow for me anyway.

Would that still apply if you’re strictly running e85? What your saying makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
Borla touring or Steeda. Same cb but only get loud when you want it. I had Bassani and Stingers w/ longtubes. No drone with the touring.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

capercode

Established Member
What an ignorant response. If you can't stay "on the topic" don't reply. It's quite simple. I enjoy driving the car occasionally but can't stand the 2300rpm 75 mph drone. A cure was my original question and you obviously can't understand that.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
What an ignorant response. If you can't stay "on the topic" don't reply. It's quite simple. I enjoy driving the car occasionally but can't stand the 2300rpm 75 mph drone. A cure was my original question and you obviously can't understand that.

Did you only focus on the one part? I made a legitimate suggestion to go along with the others. Then poked some fun. Hence the winking smiley. So, yes I understand it.
Unbunch your panties and enjoy.

capercode

Established Member
Did you only focus on the one part? I made a legitimate suggestion to go along with the others. Then poked some fun. Hence the winking smiley. So, yes I understand it.
Unbunch your panties and enjoy.
No "bunched" panties here son. I asked a very logical question for which I expected hands-on experienced answers. On a forum, that's what its purpose is. A forum for educated experienced discussion. I wasn't looking for cute answers but factual, trials that eliminated the infamous "drone" most 03-04 Cobras experience with an aftermarket exhaust. Quite simple through my eyes.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
No "bunched" panties here son. I asked a very logical question for which I expected hands-on experienced answers. On a forum, that's what its purpose is. A forum for educated experienced discussion. I wasn't looking for cute answers but factual, trials that eliminated the infamous "drone" most 03-04 Cobras experience with an aftermarket exhaust. Quite simple through my eyes.

Are you new here?

capercode

Established Member
Are you new here?
Been on since 10-02 when my car, ordered and received from Langford Ford in LaBelle Fl arrived.
Please understand, I'm not attempting to create an argument but attempting to resolve a very irritating issue. The car only has 14k miles on it, with the exhaust installed at approximately 100 miles. I have just now started to use the car, hence my inquiries regarding the drone.

capercode

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Been on since 10-02 when my car, ordered and received from Langford Ford in LaBelle Fl arrived.
Please understand, I'm not attempting to create an argument but attempting to resolve a very irritating issue. The car only has 14k miles on it, with the exhaust installed at approximately 100 miles. I have just now started to use the car, hence my inquiries regarding the drone.

capercode

I get it man. Just thought that you may be new due to saying that things were always on topic and to the point on here. Haha.
By the way, I HATE the drone too. I have long tubes with a 3" off road x to a borla stinger cb. It's annoying for sure. I'm just not changing anything at this point.

capercode

Established Member
I've ordered the Magnaflow cat back system through National Parts Depot as they claim it will totally eliminate the drone. Once installed, I'll gladly report the outcome. Thanks for all the input.

capercode

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Caper, you’re in LaBelle? I’m in Alachua. Would love to hear your exhaust when you get it installed (who’s doing that for you?)

I have a full bassani setup and it drones. Put the baffle in and it still drones, just not as loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread