Exhaust help

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I currently have cat delete pipes into x pipe into resonator delete over axle pipes into stock axle backs installed on my 2012 5.0. I had American Thunder axle backs installed before the cat deletes and they sounded great. After install of the cat delete they became much louder ( I knew this would happen, just under estimated how much louder it would be) The stock axle back make it so much quieter that i miss the sound from the american thunder's. If I install the gt500 axle back would it be closer to the sound of the stock axle back but louder, or still be too loud. The mustang is my dd, but I really don't drive that much. only 7k miles in about 11 months.

Greatly appreciate any help before I pull the plug on gt500 axle backs.

grnenvy

Established Member
Depends on what u like everyone likes something diff. I'm not a fan of removing the cats on these cars. Not because I'm green fare from that. They stink way to loud and I could never get the right axle back. Everything likes to drone and if it doesn't drone it's to quiet. Good luck

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I did it for the power increase. Put down 397.8 on Saturday with the American thunder axle backs, jlt intake and bama tune. Dyno dynamic dyno at dyno tuned performance inc, in Virginia Beach, va

mikestoyz

Established Member
Im right there with you, but I have the stock resonators, and its looking like the factory axleback is a restriction and I must make the leap to gt500s.

Its quiet as can be at idle and a easy cruise, but it rips as soon as I get on it. Id rather keep it quiet....

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I would like to try both the Gibson axle back and the Force II axle back. The Gibson is on par with the GT500, but more deep. The Force II is supposed to be quieter than the GT500...just a bit above stock. The GT500 really is great, especially in fitment, but I am always looking for something else!

Mike

mikestoyz

Established Member
I would like to try both the Gibson axle back and the Force II axle back. The Gibson is on par with the GT500, but more deep. The Force II is supposed to be quieter than the GT500...just a bit above stock. The GT500 really is great, especially in fitment, but I am always looking for something else!

Mike

You need your own column in a mustang magazine on exhaust! They should pay you for the research you have done!

RFM50

Established Member
I did it for the power increase. Put down 397.8 on Saturday with the American thunder axle backs, jlt intake and bama tune. Dyno dynamic dyno at dyno tuned performance inc, in Virginia Beach, va

I have the same tune and airaid intake with gt500 mufflers. When I dyno'd on the same style dyno I dyno'd at 389. I have since then added one of the new style leathal h pipes and absolutely love the sound. It gets loud and throaty when I am on it but stays quite during cruising and I have absolutely no drone. I would say if it's too loud once you add the gt500 mufflers add some resonators back in and you will be super happy. I doubt you will loose more than a horse power or 2 with the resonators.

saunupe1911

Established Member

Mike,

I think I mentioned this on another forum, but is there anything slightly louder than stock that doesn't drone, not neighborhood disturbing loud, and actually looks good? The GT500s is always everyone's first choice but they are ugly as hell. I want something that has nice exhaust tips as well. The Borla Touring and S-Type fit these needs, but they are almost double the cost of most axle-backs. I'm stuck in a shit hole because no one makes a product with these characteristics, but at mid range price.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike,

I think I mentioned this on another forum, but is there anything slightly louder than stock that doesn't drone, not neighborhood disturbing loud, and actually looks good? The GT500s is always everyone's first choice but they are ugly as hell. I want something that has nice exhaust tips as well. The Borla Touring and S-Type fit these needs, but they are almost double the cost of most axle-backs. I'm stuck in a shit hole because no one makes a product with these characteristics, but at mid range price.

Check out the Gibson axle back. They are about the same as the GT500s, have a different style tip, and are equal in volume...but deeper.

Or, get the GT500s and have whatever tip you like welded on. It is not hard for a muffler shop to do.

Mike

saunupe1911

Established Member
Check out the Gibson axle back. They are about the same as the GT500s, have a different style tip, and are equal in volume...but deeper.

Or, get the GT500s and have whatever tip you like welded on. It is not hard for a muffler shop to do.

Mike

I know one thing, they have a helluva good price on them too.

J_Dizzle

Established Member
I installed the Borla Touring axle back on my car not long ago. It's very quiet until you get on it and it's still not that loud at WOT. I got it for around $575 shipped from streetsideauto.com, do a google search for coupon codes and you can get $60 off or something.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I installed the Borla Touring axle back on my car not long ago. It's very quiet until you get on it and it's still not that loud at WOT. I got it for around $575 shipped from streetsideauto.com, do a google search for coupon codes and you can get $60 off or something.

i couldnt spend that much money on an axleback, i paid 550 for my magnaflow catback shipped.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just to update, I installed the gt500 axle backs today and damn. The sound is perfect. I painted the muffler black like the American Thunder axle back and it looks great too. I went on the highway and zero drone. I will be cleaning up my American Thunder axle backs this weekend and take some pictures, should be up for sale in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread