exhaust help

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
This topic has been beaten to death but I have been through some axle backs and still not happy.

First setup was stainless work longtubes with o/r x pipe lethal over axle pipes and mac axle backs car sounded like an ls car. then I tried stock axle backs sounded like crap and now I have gt500 axle backs and it sounds good but is to quiet at idle and around town the only time it wakes up is when you put your foot through it. What would you guys try next? I though borla stingers but I cant make my mind up. I would really like corsa extremes but I am afraid I will wake the dead. I am used to new edge and sn 95 cars and these cars sound so much different I do not know which way to go.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
its all about what you like. use google search or youtube.....
try a set of glass packs for resonators with the corsa. will tone it down a bit ,but still have sound.

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
Honestly on my 01 cobra I had flowmasters and loved them but I haven't really liked the sound of chambered mufflers on these new 5.0 so its hard I was hoping someone had the same problem as me

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I vote Borla stingers. IMO they are exaggerated GT500 ab's. They have a harder idle, relatively calm at cruising and screams at WOT. Retains the no drone factor like the GT500 ab. No to mention they are 13lbs lighter over OEM GT500 and 16lbs lighter than Boss/GT ab.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have the borla stingers. They are a little louder than the GT500s. I say that having had my car at one time when I had an O/R X with the Borlas sitting next to an O/R H GT500 car, they were a little louder at warm idle, but not a lot. At WOT they are far louder. My Borlas are as loud as my roush were with the O/R X at WOT but far quiter for sub 3K rpm driving.

Now that being said, my borlas have gotten far louder. I am not sure the cause 100% but I have guesses. They do NOT sound anything like my original video of them/first few months of owning them. This was not because of the X to H swap, did it with the X too.

I believe the inner padding has burned out/maybe something else happening. They feel lighter, more hollow than when I first got them. I wonder since we are pretty humid here, and I never drilled weeping holes if there was massive water sitting in the borlas and ruined them.

They still don't drone, but they are not as quiet, don't have nearly the same sound as they first did.

Too the point I am looking to swap to corsa extremes or GT500s to get rid of the nasty rasp they have developed. Lethal O/R H and they are raspy as shit. Still have the resonators. I want to cut them out, but fear the sound is going to get really bad. My friend with just cat delete pipes and flowmaster outlaws makes my car sound BAD.

Last edited:

StangMan04

Established Member
I am in the market for new axle backs myself. I have some SLP muffler deletes and recently installed a Lethal O/R H. I loved the sound of the muffler deletes with the stock midpipe, but this thing is beyond loud/obnoxious without cats. The worst is the hollow sound. I cannot drive my car the way I like due to the tone. I have to keep it below 2k during normal acceleration.

I wanted to get some gt500s, and have heard them in person with a Lethal O/R H pipe, and they are not loud enough for me. The guy still had his resonators in, but I still am not sure removing them would do it for me. I don't mind drone during cruising speeds. Hell, the muffler deletes and the o/r h pipe are fine while cruising, it is only when accelerating that the hollow sound gets to me. Idle sounds amazing.

I am trying to figure out which axle back to get now. Borla Stingers, seem to be favored, but the price tag is crazy. Thought about the bassani's too. Prefer something straight through design and not really heavy if possible.

Last edited:

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Corsa Xtreme with longtubes and catless h was brutal on my car. Around 2800-3000 rpm it was unbearable. Dumped it and got gt500. Search my name I have a video of the Corsa setup on here.

JOK3R

Established Member
First setup was stainless work longtubes with o/r x pipe lethal over axle pipes and mac axle backs car sounded like an ls car.

Almost makes me want the same setup then.

(I personally have not heard many Coyotes that sounded "good" compared to previous generation Mustangs)

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
Corsa Xtreme with longtubes and catless h was brutal on my car. Around 2800-3000 rpm it was unbearable. Dumped it and got gt500. Search my name I have a video of the Corsa setup on here.

you weren't kidding that is loud and raspy might have been a little cleaner with an x pipe but defintly loud

Almost makes me want the same setup then.

(I personally have not heard many Coyotes that sounded "good" compared to previous generation Mustangs)

it had horrible drone and I was stopped a bunch of times asking what motor was in the car because it sounded like anything but a mustang. girlfriend could literally hear me get onto it leaving her house getting on the highway a mile away..always would text me I can still hear you

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I am in the market for new axle backs myself. I have some SLP muffler deletes and recently installed a Lethal O/R H. I loved the sound of the muffler deletes with the stock midpipe, but this thing is beyond loud/obnoxious without cats. The worst is the hollow sound. I cannot drive my car the way I like due to the tone. I have to keep it below 2k during normal acceleration.

I wanted to get some gt500s, and have heard them in person with a Lethal O/R H pipe, and they are not loud enough for me. The guy still had his resonators in, but I still am not sure removing them would do it for me. I don't mind drone during cruising speeds. Hell, the muffler deletes and the o/r h pipe are fine while cruising, it is only when accelerating that the hollow sound gets to me. Idle sounds amazing.

I am trying to figure out which axle back to get now. Borla Stingers, seem to be favored, but the price tag is crazy. Thought about the bassani's too. Prefer something straight through design and not really heavy if possible.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but if I may ask some quick, somewhat relative questions... Is that hollow sound specifically because of the deleted cats? If I went with a catted H, would this happen?

I'm running just axleback Magnaflow muffler deletes but wanting to do a deeper, louder idle...

StangMan04

Established Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread but if I may ask some quick, somewhat relative questions... Is that hollow sound specifically because of the deleted cats? If I went with a catted H, would this happen?

I'm running just axleback Magnaflow muffler deletes but wanting to do a deeper, louder idle...

Probably wouldn't be as bad with hi-flow cats since there is some restriction.

Here is the only video I can find of how bad it is with no cats like my car currently is (video is not of my car, just one I found when searching). I need new axle backs ASAP lol.

[youtube_browser]q8i7Cfif5dw[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

ICU 5.0

Established Member
Bassani axle backs sound really good on these cars IMO. I have read taking the cats out are really what makes any exhaust set up obnoxious on the coyote.

Users who are viewing this thread