Exhaust or other issue?

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Hey everyone, you can barely tell from my video but it sounds worse in person. So bad it's to the point I won't let my car go over 2k RPM.

The car makes like a metal on metal sound between 2 and 3k RPM. It does NOT make this noise if you floor it through that RPM range, however if you let the RPM's drop back down it makes the noise.

The car has flowmaster 40 mufflers. Would rusted out mufflers give these symptoms?

It also makes a similar sound but not to this extent it's more of a metal popping sound if you let the RPM drop too much in a gear and you give it gas.

The car does not make this noise while the car is in neutral and rev it.

What i'm thinking is : Exhaust hangars, rusted out flow"masters", bad u joint for the noise it makes at too low RPM in gear.

Car is a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed. Please help, this is ridiculous
banghead.gif

[youtube_browser]g2vRvgvBuEY[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
do you have a tune on the car? If so, it could be detonation. sounds like marbles in a can, when the car is accelerating under load. you could put in higher octane fuel to see if it stops detonating.

it may be an exhaust leak. typically that sound is more of a ticking sound. and it's worse when the engine is cold.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
do you have a tune on the car? If so, it could be detonation. sounds like marbles in a can, when the car is accelerating under load. you could put in higher octane fuel to see if it stops detonating.

it may be an exhaust leak. typically that sound is more of a ticking sound. and it's worse when the engine is cold.
Yeah i'm running an 87 tune from Bama. Using 89 octane gas from BP. It's almost like a metal grinding sound but deeper. It vary well may be an exhaust leak, I noticed my exhaust tone is a little off.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If it was an exhaust leak it wouldn't only occur in gear. It would be there whether your in neutral revving or driving around. I can't watch the video at work since I have no sound, but it definitely doesn't sound like an exhaust leak to me. Exhaust leak sounds like a ticking sound too, like nxhappy said.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yeah i'm pretty lost. Any way it could be a u joint? Would rear gears grind at a certain RPM? My spyder gears fell out when I replaced my wheel bearings and i got them re-aligned back in there, just was lingering in the back of my head.

nxhappy

Established Member
Yeah i'm pretty lost. Any way it could be a u joint? Would rear gears grind at a certain RPM? My spyder gears fell out when I replaced my wheel bearings and i got them re-aligned back in there, just was lingering in the back of my head.

I bet your tune is screwed up, and the car is detonating. Try returning the car back to stock. Then see if the noise goes away.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
I bet your tune is screwed up, and the car is detonating. Try returning the car back to stock. Then see if the noise goes away.

I'm gonna try that tomorrow. I'm like 90% sure it's my catalytic converters though. Car smells a little different and a little loss of power. I looked up videos of what a failing cat sounds like and it is EXACTLY what mine sounds like. Gives me an excuse to upgrade to some UPR x pipes though haha.

Users who are viewing this thread