Exhaust smell - trunk

taco7

Established Member
Hi Guys: This 2013 GT500 is new to me, only about 5000 miles on it now. It has Magnaflow mufflers and an offload H-pipe, no cats. I just noticed an exhaust smell on items I keep in the trunk (bag of clothes, jackets, etc when I'm on a roadtrip).

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your time.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Hi Guys: This 2013 GT500 is new to me, only about 5000 miles on it now. It has Magnaflow mufflers and an offload H-pipe, no cats. I just noticed an exhaust smell on items I keep in the trunk (bag of clothes, jackets, etc when I'm on a roadtrip).

Is this normal?

..and that's how dead hookers happen. Honestly, I've taken one long trip and didn't notice this. Keep us posted on your troubleshooting.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Is this normal?

With no catalytic converters I would guess that is going to happen.:shrug:

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
Yup, running an exhaust system without cats... they are so efficient these days that there is little benefit in running the car without them especially on the street. In MA we can't even mess with the exhaust setup. Some do, but they have major issues passing our yearly inspections.

Pete

taco7

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to attempt to monitor the CO inside the car just to be sure there are no issues but I'm guessing it will all be fine.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Some people report that there is a lot of raw gas/exhaust smell inside the car after deleting the cats, and some never notice anything. I haven't noticed any difference inside the car at all. If you're standing behind the car you can notice a very very faint whiff of it, but nothing that would make me uncomfortable. Could the tune be on the rich side as well?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Some are commenting the exhaust smell is due to no cats. That seems scary to me. Yes, the cats help burn the excess fuel but are you all saying all cars have exhaust, but you can't smell it because the cats are still installed? That doesn't make sense or flat scary. I don't want exhaust in my car, cats or no cats.

Tom

fearthesnake

Established Member
I have an off road pipe on my 2013 and previous 2010 model. I only notice the fumes when the windows are down and come to a stop or hard driving, doesn't exhaust tumble to an extent which could lead it coming back towards the car? Don't notice it when windows are rolled up though.

Kapy

Established Member

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your time.[/QUOT

You might want to check the rear vents that are located behind the bumper cover. I have seen these vents get stuck open at times which causes exhaust fumes to enter the cabin of the car. These vents control cabin air flow exit. I have seen this before. You have to pull the bumper cover to check that's the only bad part.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I have this issue. My clothes in the trunk are so badly gassed out it's insane. what I believe this is from is VACUUM. the rear wing seems to pull the exhaust gases upward and theyre finding their way into the trunk.

How do I know....White strpes on the underside of my rear spoiler turn yellow/gray from the exhaust. I have to scrub the crap out of them to come clean.

I also have no cats and offroad H with Shelby SS cat back.

My machine is also a convertible. Even with the top down all the way. clothes in the trunk still smell like exhaust.

My ex wife complained about this when I'd pick up my son with the car. I thought she was nuts until I went to Virginia on a business overnighter only to find my tuxedo was totally gassed out.

Seals are fine and there's no real way in there I can see besides the small rubber vents/plugs under the side of the rear fenders.

Users who are viewing this thread