Exhaust tips need help please

tammy

Established Member
Can you tell me what finish you use on your tips and what size do I need for the QMP 3" system? I was thinking stainless right? Like to know what you have and how you set them as far as how far out do they go and look good. I don't want them sticking out further than they do right now at stock.

i8u

Established Member
Are you putting on bolt on tips? If so, Don't! Just my opinion.:beer:

tammy

Established Member
If I knew what that was would help.LOL Damn I'm glad christmas is almost here I better be getting something good:p

I don't know what you mean bolt on? How are they suppose to go one? I like the tips that are on the car now. I like the exact length they poke out too. How do I replicate what I have with the QMP 3 " exhaust as far as the tips go? Do we have stainless now? I am thinking we do.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by tammy
If I knew what that was would help.LOL Damn I'm glad christmas is almost here I better be getting something good:p

I don't know what you mean bolt on? How are they suppose to go one? I like the tips that are on the car now. I like the exact length they poke out too. How do I replicate what I have with the QMP 3 " exhaust as far as the tips go? Do we have stainless now? I am thinking we do.

I'm confused. Are you replacing the catback? Or cutting of the old tips and welding on new ones? Or saying you wan't to buy tips that slide over the stock ones and are held by bolts tightened onto the stock exaust?

I don't think it would be easy to replicate the stock tips out of the QMP 3' exhaust.:beer:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
When I installed my 3" catback, I went to a pipe company and bought 3' of 4" polished stainless steal and had my exhaust guy cut it in half and make two tips. $34 and a 12-pack. A couple of hours with neverdull-beautiful. The cutouts on our back bumper work great with 4" tips IMO.

tammy

Established Member
Thanks 03 snake. i8u what i'm doing is buying a complete QMP exhaust. I did'nt occur to me until today that there will not be tips included with this system. I want the polished alumin tip for the same "look" as the stock tips that are on the car now and was wanting to know how to get that look. It would be easier to answer my question if I knew better how to ask it.

larryc7777

Established Member
Tammy,
The system comes with Meg's slash cut, rolled edge, chrome tips. After install, they will be in almost exactly the same position as stock. During the install, whoever does the work can adjust the mounting point for you. Some people have mounted them slightly "deeper" so that they don't extend as far past the lower rolled edge of the rear valence. I left mine just as they are, right out of the box. Look at the QMP Cobra page to see what that looks like.

lifter213

Established Member
You sure it doesnt come with tips? I've never heard of a catback not having the tips included. I believe Coleman on the board has that exhaust and he never mentioned anything about having to buy tips. IMO if i had to go looking for tips to stick on an exhaust system that should come with everything already i wouldnt buy it.

davidmax

Established Member
Borla is so pretty on its tip within a tip,looks bad AS....Dave S.

tammy

Established Member
Well there ya go! See I don't normally purchase exhaust and had no prior buying experience. I did'nt know if you got the tips included or not.:) I'll use what comes with it then. I'm sure it must be a complete package. and lotsof why have'nt you put yours on yet? The shop that doing mine is charging $65. That's my contractor rate since we use them for all our exhaust work. Sorry for asking stupid question # 56895625896. Thanks guys now just ignore me and have a great day. You are an awesome group and I don't care what the others say about you!:beer:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Well there ya go! See I don't normally purchase exhaust and had no prior buying experience. I did'nt know if you got the tips included or not.:) I'll use what comes with it then. I'm sure it must be a complete package. and lotsof why have'nt you put yours on yet? The shop that doing mine is charging $65. That's my contractor rate since we use them for all our exhaust work. Sorry for asking stupid question # 56895625896. Thanks guys now just ignore me and have a great day. You are an awesome group and I don't care what the others say about you!:beer:

i thought you were up to #56895625897????? oh well, maybe I miscounted. :D :D :D :D

gary

tammy

Established Member
Gary be nice to me Daytona is my home away from home. Don't make me have to come ask you silly questions in person.:p Everyone has been so nice to help me gather info to get my husband great gifts for the cobra. I don't see you better half on here getting you anything.:lol1: Only j/k. Hey my husband's been run a time or too in Daytona leaving the auctions. He drives the z28 down for those. Keeping the miles off the Cobra of course. He'd like to run the z with an 03 so if you see him rev up.LOL He wants to see just how bad he'd get beat in the z28 it has the lt1 in it. If you may see him he's leaving at 10 for daytona auto auction tonight. Have a great day thank goodness this will be over soon. At least I won't get him stupid crap this year thanks to the members here.

tammy

Established Member
Swwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thanks for taking the time to post that for me. How do you like the sound/volume? Can't wait to get this on my car. No wait it's the husbands car.LOL

Do I see too mustangs in your garage? Luck Man. I'm thinking when I get ready to let my MDX go I'll get me a matching black gt vert. And just by a van for haul all my kids when we travel. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
Tammy...

Swwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thanks for taking the time to post that for me. How do you like the sound/volume? Can't wait to get this on my car. No wait it's the husbands car.LOL

Do I see too mustangs in your garage? Luck Man. I'm thinking when I get ready to let my MDX go I'll get me a matching black gt vert. And just by a van for haul all my kids when we travel. Thanks a lot.

I had the system installed at first without the cats on and I did love the sound. I was tame at idle, mean at part throttle, and amazing at WOT. For everyday driving, I decided to try it with the cats on and now I found the perfect combination of sound for my taste. Mellow with a little rumble at idle and still awesome sounding at part throttle and WOT. The QMP system has a nice little burble on deceleration that always turns heads...

I hope that helps you some.

You did notice the other two stangs eh...

Here a few other pics of the 97 Cobra:

116-718-33543.jpg

116-718-33545.jpg

116-718-33533.jpg

and my wifes 00GT Vert:

116-722-33568.jpg

116-722-40147.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

tammy

Established Member
Can't wait! Did you dyno the car to see what the system picked up with the new exhaust?

SVTyballz

Established Member
Gary be nice to me Daytona is my home away from home. Don't make me have to come ask you silly questions in person.:p Everyone has been so nice to help me gather info to get my husband great gifts for the cobra. I don't see you better half on here getting you anything.:lol1: Only j/k. Hey my husband's been run a time or too in Daytona leaving the auctions. He drives the z28 down for those. Keeping the miles off the Cobra of course. He'd like to run the z with an 03 so if you see him rev up.LOL He wants to see just how bad he'd get beat in the z28 it has the lt1 in it. If you may see him he's leaving at 10 for daytona auto auction tonight. Have a great day thank goodness this will be over soon. At least I won't get him stupid crap this year thanks to the members here.

Cool! If you ever see my sonic blue vert with FL tag "COR WHAT" flag me down. The funny part is my better half drives a 99 C5 hehehehe. She is great BTW. I have an ex that was so jealous of my cars it was sick. So, just having someone to enjoy my car with me is a gift by itself. If you two are ever down here for a few days shoot me a e-mail we can all hang out with the 03's. There are only a couple in town. Have a happy holidays. I know your husband will!!

gary

Users who are viewing this thread