Explorer owners ,please share opinions!!!

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Hi guys, just need some opinions about the Explorer, as i'm looking to buy an SUV and i'm stuck between the Explorer and the Toyota Highlander. I like the Explorer a lot but don't know how reliable are the ecoboost engines right now. I've heard a lot of bad stories about them but, i don't know. I know i could go for the non turbo 3.5 but that kind of takes the shine off the Explorer. I know i'm asking about a Ford product on a Ford forum, but i just need the people that actually own these things to tell me their opinions. I looked at a few of them and i think Ford did a real nice job with them and that's why i guess they have that price tag.
Thank you all in advance.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I dont own one but I drive them a lot at work, including the new Sport which we just got. The 2016s and up are the ones to get. They have been tweaked in ways compared to the prior years like steering feel and throttle response which change the whole dynamic of the car imo. With the Sport I actually expected more out of it because of how the F150s feel but just coming off the line hard it felt less torquey, but if you mash the throttle at like 25mph it goes like a rocket. You just have to get it in the right spot. So I can only imagine what a tune and some bolt ons would feel like in the Sport.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I dont own one but I drive them a lot at work, including the new Sport which we just got. The 2016s and up are the ones to get. They have been tweaked in ways compared to the prior years like steering feel and throttle response which change the whole dynamic of the car imo. With the Sport I actually expected more out of it because of how the F150s feel but just coming off the line hard it felt less torquey, but if you mash the throttle at like 25mph it goes like a rocket. You just have to get it in the right spot. So I can only imagine what a tune and some bolt ons would feel like in the Sport.

I can tell you how a tune works as I just tuned my MKS last week with a 91 Stage 4+ from Livernois... It's AWESOME!!! This is how Ford should have sent the cars out. Great power all the way through and the shifts are much improved. My only regret is not doing this when I first bought my MKS 9 months ago.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We went with the explorer, the non turbo model. Plenty comfortable and lots of space. We went with the Explorer for The extra storage behind the third row off seats. We wanted to be able to put stuff their if we go on a trip with family.

With the highlander we couldn't fit a small stroller behind the third row. The explorer fits a large stroller plus luggage for 6 for a short trip.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I can tell you how a tune works as I just tuned my MKS last week with a 91 Stage 4+ from Livernois... It's AWESOME!!! This is how Ford should have sent the cars out. Great power all the way through and the shifts are much improved. My only regret is not doing this when I first bought my MKS 9 months ago.

I had an intake/tune in my Tremor so I know what you mean. It really wakes it up. If you have driven a new F150 then you will know what I mean though, those trucks get up and move! A new stock one would probably outrun my tuned 2014. So I expected the same with the Explorer Sport but it is just tuned differently because of the type of vehicle. The power doesn't come on so in your face like the F150 does.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
When you look at one, check the leading edge of the hood for paint bubbling.

Almost all Explorers have it, and if you don't notice until after the warranty, Ford will duck the issue.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Have a 2013.

No complaints so far, 8k miles driven on it. Turbo is responsive, interior is nice and the ride is firm but not harsh.
Get around 21-23 mpg at 80mph. Think the average is 17.5 combined, and we do go into boost a lot around town.

If you're worried about the engine, buy an extended warranty.
I haven't heard any stories about the newer Ecoboost engines messing up, but I must admit I not on those forums as much as on here.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
OP - What is your budget? I meant to add in my last post that you might want to consider a 2015+ Expedition. I've sat in several Explorers and there is something about them that make them feel big outside, yet kind of small inside. When I sat in an Expedition, it seemed smaller on the outside, yet bigger on the inside and I think it has more to do with the belt line. Yes, I know an Expedition is larger overall than an Explorer.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
If you're looking at the Sport 3.5EB, Toyota has nothing to compare. 91K miles on our Xsport and no drivetrain issues. I do have some random at times front end noises that I'm trying to sort out. Only failures have been when brand new a bad front sway bar link, and a passenger ac actuator that wanted to stay full ice cold. Nothing esle has gone wrong. Still on original brakes, and changed tires at 60K.

Just updated the nav, got the update off Amazon for $100 or something. Sync has always worked fine.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

Almost all Explorers have it, and if you don't notice until after the warranty, Ford will duck the issue.

I've never seen this as a regular issue. I think I have seen it once from what I can remember and it was a Hawaii car which all Hawaii cars are pieces of crap usually and take a beating on the regular. Ford, along with most of the brands dont have perfect paint, but we haven't come across any mainstream vehicle on the market that has a recurring paint issue.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think every major brand has had paint issues on aluminum hoods at one point or another. Its not a trivial task on a mass scale.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I've never seen this as a regular issue. I think I have seen it once from what I can remember and it was a Hawaii car which all Hawaii cars are pieces of crap usually and take a beating on the regular. Ford, along with most of the brands dont have perfect paint, but we haven't come across any mainstream vehicle on the market that has a recurring paint issue.

Now that it was mentioned our Xsport does have the hood paint issue. My GT500 also had the issue and the hood was replaced under warranty. I didn't catch the issue in time on the Xsport as we rack a lot of miles. I was basically told oh well.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we just picked up a 15 Sport with 10k on the clock. originally purchased 13 months ago. saved a ton over buying a new one. with the options we got on ours, a new would have been over $50k. i opted for the 7 year, 100k bumper to bumper ford premium warranty as this car has so much tech stuff in it, plus the EB and awd, i didnt want to be without a warranty on it. on my other fords, no problem lol.
almost too much tech on these. i prefer simple buttons over having to navigate through a computer screen to change the temp or radio station or whatever. LOVE the back up camera though. feels like im backing up a focus with it.

so far so good. its super comfortable and feels bigger inside than my hdf150. like HUGE in the drivers seat. we got it for the 3rd row which we wont use often but good to have when needed.

i prefer the front end and wheels of the 15 than the 16/17. from the reviews ive read online, they barely changed anything on them.

i plan to add a jms boostmax to it soon. 04sleeper had one on his and swears by it. said it adds 5psi easy peasy. no tuning required. and pretty cheap too.

i do feel the drive by wire lag a little bit but you get used to it. i think the jms pedalmax solves that issue though if it bothers you.

i dont drive it hard. dont really get on it. im averaging about 15.8mpg

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Thank you guys for the replies. I am looking to buy used and it will mainly be used by my wife. I like the Highlander too , i like Toyota but with the Explorer i think there's something special that make them stand out from the SUV crowd.

OP - What is your budget? I meant to add in my last post that you might want to consider a 2015+ Expedition. I've sat in several Explorers and there is something about them that make them feel big outside, yet kind of small inside. When I sat in an Expedition, it seemed smaller on the outside, yet bigger on the inside and I think it has more to do with the belt line. Yes, I know an Expedition is larger overall than an Explorer.

I don't have a set budget right now but i know i don't want to buy new. I like the Expedition, but my wife doesn't want it. It's too big for her. Thank you.

This was one of the biggest issues i foud online about them. Maybe that's why i see a lot of them with bug deflectors on !?
Thank you

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Thank you guys for the replies. I am looking to buy used and it will mainly be used by my wife. I like the Highlander too , i like Toyota but with the Explorer i think there's something special that make them stand out from the SUV crowd.

They borrowed heavily from Land Rover on styling.

Users who are viewing this thread