Explorer sport owners in here

RX1Cobra

Established Member
What about the water in the IC, is that still a issue? I can't get that site to come up now. It's our stupid internet at work.

I haven't seen any recent complaints for the 15+ trucks. I'm sure some may have had problems but seems like mostly a non-issue.

Not the expert on these trucks have only had mine for a few months. Just did some research to see if I needed a can or not. I came to the conclusion that I didn't and mine doesn't have the PI since it's a 15 3.5.

DI is the driving factor. I don't know if PI helps, hurts, or has no impact. My hunch is it has no impact, therefore, the gumming up as a result of DI is still an issue. But, I'd love to hear that PI at least mitigates it to some degree.

PI should solve the issue (I personally don't think there is a real issue). The back of the intake valve is getting sprayed with fuel now to keep it clean. With DI only no fuel hits the back of the valve to clean it.

nxhappy

Established Member
I haven't seen any recent complaints for the 15+ trucks. I'm sure some may have had problems but seems like mostly a non-issue.

Not the expert on these trucks have only had mine for a few months. Just did some research to see if I needed a can or not. I came to the conclusion that I didn't and mine doesn't have the PI since it's a 15 3.5.

PI should solve the issue (I personally don't think there is a real issue). The back of the intake valve is getting sprayed with fuel now to keep it clean. With DI only no fuel hits the back of the valve to clean it.

I have a 15 EB f150. You NEED a catch can system if you want clean valves and a clean PCV system. It will also save your plugs. Trust me, in just one week, it will DUMP out oil and gunk. How do I know? Because I empty my can every week. It's not a small amount like you would see in a Cobra or GT500. For whatever reason these motors are nasty.

bigmoose

Established Member
I have a 15 EB f150. You NEED a catch can system if you want clean valves and a clean PCV system. It will also save your plugs. Trust me, in just one week, it will DUMP out oil and gunk. How do I know? Because I empty my can every week. It's not a small amount like you would see in a Cobra or GT500. For whatever reason these motors are nasty.
I agree on this point. I put a scope down my intake and my runners were all gunked up. I'm at 82k miles. I've thought about getting it cleaned then adding a small meth spray to help keep it clean.

Also the next generation Ecoboost motors have a port injector as well, which must be for cleaning the valves. Not sure what year this makes it into the explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread