Explorer sport owners in here

nxhappy

Established Member
Every 15k on a stock one? That's insane.
it's a good idea if you want to keep everything fresh. The PCV system is clogged with tons of shit and the valves can get tons of build it. It's a good idea to keep up on the plugs. Also a VERY good idea to run a catch can system for both sides of the motor. They can get pretty saturated every 20-30k miles. Just the nature of the beast with a DI motor.

nxhappy

Established Member
Since I like you guys, I'll give you a massive heads up. The 3.5 V6's in Fords, especially the earlier models like the 2013 ish have an internal water pump driven by a timing chain. They like to let go right at 100k, and dump coolant in the oil, and thereby decimating everything in it's path.
So if you don't proactively replace it, you will be replacing the motor. Thanks to that wonderful design, I made some really good money when I was a Ford Service writer. If you don't heed my advice, just be aware you'll be putting a motor in the truck sooner than later.
I don't think the water pump is a issue in the Ecoboost motors. It's the timing chain that was blowing up motors. Cam phasers were out of spec.

nxhappy

Established Member
I'm the same as bigmoose, 72K orig. plugs.

Look for paint issues on the leading edge of the hood, and ours lost a seal on the transaxle needing a rebuild.
EB plugs with 72k ....have you checked them physically? The f150s burn through them FAST. Car might run OK but plugs will look like dog shit. MPGs will suffer too.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I don't think the water pump is a issue in the Ecoboost motors. It's the timing chain that was blowing up motors. Cam phasers were out of spec.

I've seen a few people needing the Waterpump replaced.. Expensive Job.. Mine is warrantied to 125k so I don't give a ****.

Did plugs at 30k.. They looked fine. Dropped the gap to .028 for more boost. Will do them every 25-30k now, but I put on some serious highway miles.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
It also tows this giant parachute like its not even there. My girlfriends 06 F150 has a hell of a time with it lol. Only time I know it's there is when I let off the gas and it feels like the brakes are on from the drag. Got 11.3 MPG doing 70 last weekend.
7dcba432ab1071563d66d276443b0cc3.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
Try to convince "She who must be obeyed" to pick up an Explorer Sport. She needs a little more ground clearance (our street floods on the neap tides) than her sedan.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Got the wife a 13 sport and then a 15 Durango R/T a few years later.

Pros: Torque down low. Interior was nice, exterior as well. Sync worked well.
Cons: MPG was 17.4 average on a 80/20 Hwy/city split. Cruise control most of the time and the terrain is flat. the durango on the same drive gets 19.2-20mpg on same drive/conditions. 18.6 gallon gas tank felt too small too for the size of the truck. At least for us since we drive a lot.

Ours had/developed an issue with one of the heads on the engine. Started to notice a little oil stain on bottom of the filter. Dealership thought it was something above the filter causing the issue(adapter?)... nope. The head porosity was messed up causing oil to leak between the head and the block when the engine was still cold. Multiple engineers came down to examine the engine but no signs of overheating was found. Couple of months later, Ford authorized a new head, but the lead engine mechanic wanted a new long block. Got a new head, made sure the leaking was over and traded it in.
Was so glad I held off on tuning it.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Our was in the shop dozens of times for minor issues (mainly plastic exterior trim falling off or roof rack covers failing to stay attached). Friend has a brand new one (still has temp tags) and his driver's side rail cover completely came off on the highway.

Latest passenger side crash test rating is "poor."

Fun to drive but basically a sedan with a lift kit and built like junk, IMHO.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
It also tows this giant parachute like its not even there. My girlfriends 06 F150 has a hell of a time with it lol. Only time I know it's there is when I let off the gas and it feels like the brakes are on from the drag. Got 11.3 MPG doing 70 last weekend.View attachment 1494205

What does that trailer weigh?

Depending on her trim and model F150, they tow between 2,200 and 9,000lbs. The Explorers all tow 5,000LBS, so, that could explain it.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
What does that trailer weigh?

Depending on her trim and model F150, they tow between 2,200 and 9,000lbs. The Explorers all tow 5,000LBS, so, that could explain it.
940#. It's not so much the weight has the wind drag. Or F-150 has a hard time pulling it down the highway at 70 miles an hour and is always downshifting from the drag whereas the Explorer don't even notice it's there. Never downshifts or runs in a lower gear. Quite impressive for towing to be honest

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Correction, only the V6’s tow 5000 Ibs. The 4 cylinder tow less than 4000 lbs.
Only the Sport and Platinum versions currently offer the standard EB V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RX1Cobra

Established Member
it's a good idea if you want to keep everything fresh. The PCV system is clogged with tons of shit and the valves can get tons of build it. It's a good idea to keep up on the plugs. Also a VERY good idea to run a catch can system for both sides of the motor. They can get pretty saturated every 20-30k miles. Just the nature of the beast with a DI motor.

Do you have any real world proof to back this up? I have a 3.5 ecoboost F150 and go back and forth on the need for a catch can. I get that it won't hurt anything but is it really needed? Where's all the motors with tons of carbon build up. Seems like they're mostly pushed by the people that sell them.

I also think changing plugs that frequent is overkill... I plan to do my oil at about 50% life which equals about 5K miles. To me this is the only thing that's worth going overboard on and only because of the well documented timing chain issues.

nxhappy

Established Member
Do you have any real world proof to back this up? I have a 3.5 ecoboost F150 and go back and forth on the need for a catch can. I get that it won't hurt anything but is it really needed? Where's all the motors with tons of carbon build up. Seems like they're mostly pushed by the people that sell them.

I also think changing plugs that frequent is overkill... I plan to do my oil at about 50% life which equals about 5K miles. To me this is the only thing that's worth going overboard on and only because of the well documented timing chain issues.
yes the catch can is really needed. Have you seen the shit that collects in the catch can of a EB? it's friggin ridiculous. The valves get RUINED on these motors at 100k. I'm not just making this shit up. Also, the plugs get FOULED at 20k. It has been proven time and time again. Go over to the f150 EB forums, you will learn a ton. =)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We have a 14 with 33K on it. We have only had a couple of problems with it (battery was replaced, not in park light came on, and an airbag sensor went out. We still need the air bags recall and exhaust odor TBS done. Ours is completely stock as its the wife's dd. The low end power is great and is a blast to drive.

If you dont need the 3rd row you might want to look at the Edge ST when it comes out. Our 2010 edge was problem free.
That's my plan. A 2019 or 2020 Edge ST! It's going to be an awesome all purpose vehicle IMO. And zero issues with my '16 Edge Sport.

The Explorer Sport is a really great SUV. Well equipped and good looking inside and outside. You won't be disappointed if you go that route. Nice power with the 3.5 EB. Even better with a Livernois tune. The only reason I chose the Edge Sport over the Explorer Sport was that I didn't want 3rd row seating and I liked the size of the Edge.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Since I like you guys, I'll give you a massive heads up. The 3.5 V6's in Fords, especially the earlier models like the 2013 ish have an internal water pump driven by a timing chain. They like to let go right at 100k, and dump coolant in the oil, and thereby decimating everything in it's path.
So if you don't proactively replace it, you will be replacing the motor. Thanks to that wonderful design, I made some really good money when I was a Ford Service writer. If you don't heed my advice, just be aware you'll be putting a motor in the truck sooner than later.

We have a 2013 Limited with the N/A 3.5L. I've read Ford changed the water pump design from a single row of teeth design to double row of teeth design. I checked RockAuto and the MotorCraft waterpump for a 2011 N/A 3.5L is single row of teeth while the MotorCraft waterpump for a 2013 N/A 3.5L has double row of teeth. The part #s are different, too.

In your experience, is this something to watch out for across all years anyway or are only Explorers with the single row of teeth on the waterpump at risk?

Thread for reference:
Water pump failure leads to dead engine

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
yes the catch can is really needed. Have you seen the shit that collects in the catch can of a EB? it's friggin ridiculous. The valves get RUINED on these motors at 100k. I'm not just making this shit up. Also, the plugs get FOULED at 20k. It has been proven time and time again. Go over to the f150 EB forums, you will learn a ton. =)
Give me a link Tanner. I have a new EB F-150 on the way.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
We have a 2013 Limited with the N/A 3.5L. I've read Ford changed the water pump design from a single row of teeth design to double row of teeth design. I checked RockAuto and the MotorCraft waterpump for a 2011 N/A 3.5L is single row of teeth while the MotorCraft waterpump for a 2013 N/A 3.5L has double row of teeth. The part #s are different, too.

In your experience, is this something to watch out for across all years anyway or are only Explorers with the single row of teeth on the waterpump at risk?

Thread for reference:
Water pump failure leads to dead engine

I would watch no matter the year/model. And possibly plan to replace it at 80-100k as a preventative. No water pump in the history of WP's are designed to last the duration of the car. Typically that's when you install one on a car that isn't such a pain to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread