"Extended test drive" in a 2017 Camaro SS

Branhammer

Established Member
So I came to Charleston, WV for a friends wedding and had a rental car booked. Just the basics econobox POS. Long story short, the rental company was not busy and because the ID I gave the guy was my military ID and I guess he was a big military supporter, he upgraded me for free...to a ****ing Camaro SS! Black with an auto (obviously...rental).

So I've been driving it since Friday morning and I have to admit....

This car is ****ING PHENOMENAL. I love almost everything about it. The exhaust note is perfection. Exactly what you want in a daily driven pony car. Quiet until you want it to stop being quiet...and then it doesn't scream. Bitches scream. The Camaro ROARS. And when it roars, my dick grows another 12 inches as the thought enters my mind that nothing on earth is mightier than I am at this exact moment.

This car will absolutely whip my GT's ass in every aspect of performance. No question. I don't even need to list the details. It's just a better performing car. Period.

I don't like the dash. It looks okay but it's still cheap plastic. The whole dash kind of looks like a giant video game controller. The AC vents behind the shifter are retarded and made more retarded by the fact that you turn them to control temp and fan speed. Mustang interior is a lot nicer. I do absolutely love the Camaro steering wheel and it makes me want to swap mine out for a GT350 wheel. The seats are good. I'd say they're no better or worse than the mustang.

I still don't think this car looks as good as mine but I do love looking at the curvature of the hood from behind the windshield as I'm driving. It looks cool.

The suspension is fantastic and I have to make a conscious effort the break the tires lose around turns (with traction and stability control ON of course). Pretty much have to intentionally drive like an idiot.

I've gotten used to the visibility. At first it doesn't seem like it's improved over the previous Camaro, which I could never get used to. But you know...they did improve it. Because after three days I'm just as comfortable as in my GT.

So my verdict is, not including price, this is all-in-all a better performance car than my GT. That being said, if I am including price, the GT is still the better value.

THAT being said...I'm in love with this Camaro and I have new-found respect for it. It's purely awesome.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Ive been driving a 2017 Camaro V6 and overall I hate the car as far as being comfortable driving from point A to point B because you cant see shit out of the windows. But that being said, the performance even in the V6 is terrific! It feels light and nimble but well in control. The V6 is actually impressive for what it is so I can only imagine what the SS and ZL1 are like.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kiohtee

Established Member
The new Camaros are ****ing quick. Period.

I just couldn't get over the interior and overall styling (although the 1LE, ZL1, etc. look nice).

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The new Camaros are ****ing quick. Period.
I just couldn't get over the interior and overall styling (although the 1LE, ZL1, etc. look nice).
Same here. I'm not crazy about the interior at all.
If I had to pick a Camaro, it would be the ZL1, for the power and handling. Only if it was given to me though. I don't think I would go out and buy one. LOL

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That trans is bad ass.

I've driven them in v6 version for rentals many, many times for work. They haul ass and handle extremely well!

Branhammer

Established Member
That trans is bad ass.

I've driven them in v6 version for rentals many, many times for work. They haul ass and handle extremely well!

I thought the auto was great but the car still would have been more fun with a manual. I'm just one of "those guys" though.

CLN 6R

Established Member
They do sound great in stock form, especially in Sport mode. I couldn't believe it's allowed to be that loud from the factory.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
It's a great car and I love the performance. I just didn't like how exponentially smaller the interior is compared to the Mustang. That, and I couldn't justify the $10k over what Ford wanted for a comparably equipped car.

But, they ARE great performers.

AAG

Established Member
Minus the powertrain/suspension, it's a turd. I'm glad Ford is FINALLY upgrading the Mustang and giving it direct injection and the 10 speed to compete again.

Branhammer

Established Member
I guess it was not a 2SS. The 2SS has a lot of leather wrapped parts inside.
Oh okay. So I'd just have to spend over $45k after taxes to get a nicer interior. $45k for a Camaro...lol.

Again I loved the car but for what they cost, the dash shouldn't be cheap plastic. And aint no ****ing way I'm ever paying $45k for a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger....Unless it's a Shelby/ZL1/SRT of course.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Oh okay. So I'd just have to spend over $45k after taxes to get a nicer interior. $45k for a Camaro...lol.

Again I loved the car but for what they cost, the dash shouldn't be cheap plastic. And aint no ****ing way I'm ever paying $45k for a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger....Unless it's a Shelby/ZL1/SRT of course.
They can be had for a lot less than $45k. Let's face it, all new cars are too much $. That also includes the Mustang.
The dash in the Mustang is "cheap plastic" too

Branhammer

Established Member
They can be had for a lot less than $45k. Let's face it, all new cars are too much $. That also includes the Mustang.
The dash in the Mustang is "cheap plastic" too

I picked up my GT for under $33k out the door. That is not overpriced for a 400+ hp car. And the interior is actually plush. The dash isn't hard plastic. Have you actually been in one?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I like the Camaro; however it would not kill GM to put some soft touch plastic in the mother ****er, namely the dash. Every GM I have had, has hard plastics, dashes crack, split etc.

281CJ

Established Member
I've honestly been kicking around between a V6 with the RS, an Ecoboost, or a used Terminator. I REALLY like all 3 for different reasons, and that makes it just a hard decision for me.

Branhammer

Established Member
I've honestly been kicking around between a V6 with the RS, an Ecoboost, or a used Terminator. I REALLY like all 3 for different reasons, and that makes it just a hard decision for me.

Daily driver or toy?

For a daily I'd probably go Camaro RS. For a toy I'd go Cobra for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread