Extended Warranty Cancelation ????

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
If I cancel this bad boy 2,000 miles, 2 months into it how much will I get back do you think? Purchased the PSP from Ford.

Probably going to get a tune and this will void the extended warranty for sure I know .

bnglcat

Established Member
I am looking at this as well. I am not near the mileage of the original warrantee and still have a year till it expires...but the mods will kill the extended, so I might as well just dump it. I have been paying on it for 2 years (I know, stupid move), but I don't need it. There was a thread on this a while back, but I don't remember if it fully answered the question or not. I hope to get a full answer to this as well.

Blakers01GT

Established Member
Well depends how much you wanna try to beat the system. If you go with the SCT excalibrator2, before you take it in you can move it back to stock, but if you start doing throwing pulley's and idlers etc on it, it's alot of work to keep swapping that stuff, but the SCT Excal2 is warranty friendly, the predator is not.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
If I cancel this bad boy 2,000 miles, 2 months into it how much will I get back do you think?
They pro-rate the refund...so the sooner you get the paperwork in, the better off you'll be. Stop back in at the dealer and ask for an "ESP Cancellation Form." My brother just went through this process.

Did you finance the extended warranty with the car? If so, I'm not sure how that works as far as your refund goes.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
They pro-rate the refund...so the sooner you get the paperwork in, the better off you'll be. Stop back in at the dealer and ask for an "ESP Cancellation Form." My brother just went through this process.

Did you finance the extended warranty with the car? If so, I'm not sure how that works as far as your refund goes.

Paid 1400 cash 2 months ago. I know I know smart move heh. We will see what I can get back

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Blakers01GT said:
Well depends how much you wanna try to beat the system. If you go with the SCT excalibrator2, before you take it in you can move it back to stock, but if you start doing throwing pulley's and idlers etc on it, it's alot of work to keep swapping that stuff, but the SCT Excal2 is warranty friendly, the predator is not.

SCT excalibrator2
Who uses it Dallas Mustangs ? HPP in Dallas, car is in Dallas probably can't make it back to H town. I just want a tune I don't need pulleys.

TRBO VNM

the problem with any tuning, flasher or chip is the dealer can tell something has been done. I was informed by more than one person that the dealer can scan the ecm and find out how many times it has been flashed. with the chip they can look at the contacts and see the marks on them from the chip.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
If you financed the Extended you won't get any money back in your pocket, money is refunded to the loan, which is still better than nothing.

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
Re

I kept mine to the end, and Iam glad I did as they paid over 2000$ for diff/axle work. I even had the juice installed....

BlackSabbath

Established Member
WUTWINE said:
the problem with any tuning, flasher or chip is the dealer can tell something has been done. I was informed by more than one person that the dealer can scan the ecm and find out how many times it has been flashed. with the chip they can look at the contacts and see the marks on them from the chip.

I have heard different stories about this. Some people say with 100% certainty there is no way for the dealer to tell the car has been tuned once the original tune is flashed back in. I would be surprised if there wasn't a way for them to tell either how many times the stock tune has been reflashed or at least the date the last tune was entered.

I'm pretty sure for minor warranty work that they will not look as closely as they would if something major went wrong with the motor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Blakers01GT said:

I'm here to tell you that the dealer can tell if the ECM has been flashed. I don't care if you flash it with a Predator or an SCT. A flash is a flash and SVT is requiring it's dealers (or in some cases their reps) to check for chips or flashes. It the ECM has been flashed, it has a record. If that record doesn't match up with Ford's, you're toast. I have been told this by Ford, by SVT and by Diablo. I have also been told this by a VERY reputable tuner who told me if I flashed, he knows of a "friendly" dealer. But with SVT requiring these checks...and even having their reps do them themselves, I'm not so sure there is such a thing as a friendly dealer on a major drivetrain warranty. Other warranty issues shouldn't be affected. But you can always find a dealer willing to ignore this if an SVT rep doesn't show up. But that's pretty risky on their part.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BlackSabbath said:
I have heard different stories about this. Some people say with 100% certainty there is no way for the dealer to tell the car has been tuned once the original tune is flashed back in. I would be surprised if there wasn't a way for them to tell either how many times the stock tune has been reflashed or at least the date the last tune was entered.

I'm pretty sure for minor warranty work that they will not look as closely as they would if something major went wrong with the motor.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Well, the bottom line is that any mod is potentially an issue with the warrantee, but we know generally the intake and exhaust mods are fine. In my opinion when you start modding the motor you have to accept the fact that what you are doing (A) might be caught by the dealer, and (B) might cause your warrantee to be cancelled. It's a risk, plain and simple. Some people make out well while others end up unhappy when they have an issue with the dealer. Accept the risks and you should have a less stress-free life with your Cobra. And.....it helps to keep some extra money in the bank for repairs that just might not be covered if you mod. JMO.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Well, the bottom line is that any mod is potentially an issue with the warrantee, but we know generally the intake and exhaust mods are fine. In my opinion when you start modding the motor you have to accept the fact that what you are doing (A) might be caught by the dealer, and (B) might cause your warrantee to be cancelled. It's a risk, plain and simple. Some people make out well while others end up unhappy when they have an issue with the dealer. Accept the risks and you should have a less stress-free life with your Cobra. And.....it helps to keep some extra money in the bank for repairs that just might not be covered if you mod. JMO.

Best advice for the day, this is why I would rather cancel the warranty than get it voided and not get a red cent back.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I couldn't imagine that they would be unable to see that the original has been tune/setup has been altered.

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
CobraBob said:

Bob, I think you need more posts! LOL :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread