Extremely Dangerous. MUST READ!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by I-CAN-STANG
I just checked and I can't see how that could happen in my 03!

Same here. Carpet's AOK in there (although I found a dust bunny back there. :D )

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
no probs here..my carpets not close to my pedal? is the carpet bigger? do the 04s have the little hold tab by the seat?

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Are you talking about the carpet that lines the entire floor, or just the removable carpet you can pull out and clean. The removable carpet has a tab close to the seat that holds it in place. :shrug:
Thanx for the heads up. I will go home today and check if either one will cause a problem for me. That is pretty scary man. :(

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I was talking about the CARPET, not the floor mat. :bash: Check out your carpet on the right side of your accelerator pedal. You will notice it doesn’t lay flat. That carpet caught the pedal causing it slide under the carpet which caused WOT. I corrected the problem with industrial strength 2” Velcro. See my above post. Hope this clarifies things.

mystic04

Established Member
i just cut the carpet from around the pedal all together so as not to worry over it anymore. Besides who looks at the carpet anyhow that far under the dash.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
If it is happening its because of the way you position your feet on the floor while driving That can happen in any car and is not something to blame the mannufacturer on.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
If it is happening its because of the way you position your feet on the floor while driving That can happen in any car and is not something to blame the mannufacturer on.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more!! Manufacturers have to take the ergonomics of many different drivers in mind when the design an interior...not only for comfort, but for safety. Heck...when airbags first came out in the Oldsmobile Toronado in the 70's (that's right...Olds had 'em first back in the 70's!) you couldn't even get tilt steering becasue they coudn't account for where each different type of driver would place the wheel. They were worried some drivers would not tilt it at all and make the airbag useless or dangerous. With all that said, this is a problem that Ford will WANT to address!

This problem can't be specific to the Cobra, can it? Is there something different there from all the other Mustangs? It seems to me that all stick shift Mustangs (and maybe autos) with that style of carpet would have the same problem. Are our pedals different enough to cause it? Regardless, I would follow CobraBob's advice and let Ford know if you've experienced this issue...no matter what the outcome. Call the Ford hotline!! They listen.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Why don't manufactures put a no-slip patch back there? If it's long enough even if the pedal hits, there wouldn't be any way to get snagged up. :shrug:

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
OMG man this happen to me last. I JUST got my 04 this week. The SECOND TIME I EVER got on my cobra it stuck. It happen before in my 97 so i knew what to do. I reached down with my left hand and pulled up the pedal up. My friend Kevin, BanginStang97GT was in the car at the time. He turned white in the face. I just pushed back the carpet down a little bit down to lie flat.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
I know Ford's answer for this. "Warranty voided due to abusing the car by going WOT". Seriously though, I'm glad you are OK and nobody was hurt.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
the year does not matter...it happened in my 94 once, never in the 01 snake, but it happened once again in my 03., cut the carpet.....problem solved.

NJ 03 GT

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
the year does not matter...it happened in my 94 once, never in the 01 snake, but it happened once again in my 03., cut the carpet.....problem solved.

:lol: ok ya said it first, I didn't wanna say it, but thats what i did too! i only put a 2 in straight line under the pedal, ya can't even see it but still! :cryying:

MusclePower1

Established Member
velcro would prob. help, maybe krazy glue or epoxy to make sure that SOB never comes up again.....

btw: wouldn't putting the clutch in and shifting into neutral help when it does get caught under the carpet (at least u would no longer be accelerating, it would just rev)?:shrug:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more!! Manufacturers have to take the ergonomics of many different drivers in mind when the design an interior...not only for comfort, but for safety. Heck...when airbags first came out in the Oldsmobile Toronado in the 70's (that's right...Olds had 'em first back in the 70's!) you couldn't even get tilt steering becasue they coudn't account for where each different type of driver would place the wheel. They were worried some drivers would not tilt it at all and make the airbag useless or dangerous. With all that said, this is a problem that Ford will WANT to address!

This problem can't be specific to the Cobra, can it? Is there something different there from all the other Mustangs? It seems to me that all stick shift Mustangs (and maybe autos) with that style of carpet would have the same problem. Are our pedals different enough to cause it? Regardless, I would follow CobraBob's advice and let Ford know if you've experienced this issue...no matter what the outcome. Call the Ford hotline!! They listen.

This has happened to me on just about every car I have ever owned in my life and it has no relationship to the make, model or year or whatever. And the manufacturer cannot even predict what the pressure patterns are going to be for everyone.

This "the sky is falling" knee-jerk reaction shit for every little thing that ain't perfect is for the birds. So either adjust your feet, cut the carpet overlay as some have done themselves and sugested here or remove it. There are just some things that YOU have to take responsibility for when YOU are having some problem...and this happens to be one of them.

Last edited:

PDubs

Established Member
So everyone so far has experienced this with the carpet, not the (removeable) floormat?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
This has happened to me on just about every car I have ever owned in my life and it has no relationship to the make, model or year or whatever. And the manufacturer cannot even predict what the pressure patterns are going to be for everyone.

This "the sky is falling" knee-jerk reaction shit for every little thing that ain't perfect is for the birds. So either adjust your feet, cut the carpet overlay as some have done themselves and sugested here or remove it. There are just some things that YOU have to take responsibility for when YOU are having some problem...and this happens to be one of them.

I have absolutely no issues with you on that point and I appreciate and respect your point of view. After all, I'm one of the strongest proponents on this site of taking responsibility for your mods instead of trying to pass them on to Ford under the pretense of warranty for something Ford didn't even build! I also agree with you that if an owner is experiencing this, or is worried about it, crawl in the car and fix it for cryin' out loud! BUT!! This is a safety issue that seems to be a problem across multilple years. If the vehicle is older and the carpet could have become frayed and curled, then I doubt you will get much attention from Ford. But when it happens on brand new vehicles, (and fairly often) I just don't think it would hurt to notify Ford so they can see if there is something they can or should do to fix it. It may be something as simple as a trim or an anchor...but in my humble opinion, they should know. I will bet you a cold beer that if everyone on this thread who has experienced this issue called Ford and told them about it, it would be addressed. That doesn't mean they would jump all over doing something about it, but it definitely would be looked at. Too much liability not to.

Users who are viewing this thread