Extremely Dangerous. MUST READ!

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
My accelerator pedal got caught under the carpet, and would not release. The pedal was actually caught under the carpet on the right side of the pedal. I was on the highway in 4th gear. There were cars way up ahead, so I decided to put the pedal to the metal to clean her out. I started coming up really fast on the other cars. I let off the throttle, but the pedal was stuck under the carpet and would not release, even when I tried lifting the pedal up with the tip of my sneaker, it would not release. (Throttle was wide open) I had the brake pedal to the floor, and turned off the ignition, coming within a close distance of the other vehicles. This was a TERRIFYING experience.

This is a MAJOR problem, and everyone should contact Ford about this issue. I know I’m not the only person this happened to. I could have got killed, and or killed others.

I bought a roll of 3M industrial grade 2” Velcro, and positioned it along the entire right side of the carpet. Hopefully this will correct the problem. I am contacting Ford tomorrow.

DO NOT overlook this. It MUST be taken care of, or you might find yourself in the same situation, but maybe not as lucky.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
thanks for the heads-up.....some other terminator owners have mentioned this happening, i'm gonna go see what kind of prevenatative maintnance i can do to keep myself and my car out of this situation.
thanks!

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Happened to me years ago when I had my 95 gt. Luckily it was on an empty side street. 3M carpet tape should help.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
This has happened to a lot of folks. If the search was working I'd point you to at least 10 or 20 threads about it.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
My buddy just got a 04 cobra a couple of weeks ago and this happened to him several times and finally we just cut the carpet, but yea its scary as hell.

Dominick32

BANNED
Same thing happened to me in 1996gt a few years ago. Scared the daylights out of me. I changed matts immediately to those heavy ass winter mats. No more slippage..

Dom

tapout632

Established Member
So the moral of this story is just to be sure the carpet isn't too far under the gas pedal? If anything I'd probably just take the whole carpet out to be 100% safe.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Report it to Ford. Report it to SVT. The more who do this the more apt Ford will fix the problem and hopefully prevent some getting hurt or worse. Do it folks!!

2814v

Established Member
This seem's to be a 04 problem only, have heard of several 04's with this problem but no 03's.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Had the same thing happen to me w/in the first couple of days I had it. As soon as it happened, a natural reaction told me to push the clutch in. So for abour 3 seconds it bounced off the rev limiter until i reached down there and pulled it back. It for sure scared the shit out of me. I drove home and trimmed the carpet. Ford does need to be contacted, for sure.

PDubs

Established Member
Originally posted by 2814v
This seem's to be a 04 problem only, have heard of several 04's with this problem but no 03's.
An interesting observation. I wonder if any 03s have had this happen.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
I was doing a burnout in front of my shop when the same thing happend to me. I shut the car off pulled the pedal out the pulled it in the garage cut the carpet then screwed the rest. Be careful it can happen to u.

F8LBite04

I break for your Mom
Established Member
Same thing happened to me actually happened again tonight I was shifting from second to thrid and when I let off the gas she was still going hit rev limiter (car was not happy) almost curbed the car to aviod an accident.............Going to my local dealership tomarrow to get this fixed Just a heads up its scary!!!!!!!!!!

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Happend to my Brother at LVMS dragstrip...He was more embarrassed than anything..Theres this loop cut into the carpet that came undone up by the accelerator..As soon as he cleared the water box,the pedal jammed.He sat there in neutral bouncing off the limiter for what seemed like eternity before he just shut the thing off...We were relieved thats all it was & that if it had to happen..It happened then.
Also an '04.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Originally posted by PDubs
An interesting observation. I wonder if any 03s have had this happen.

I just checked and I can't see how that could happen in my 03!

GotGrunt

Established Member
Whats the difference between the 03 and 04 pedal/carpet???

Users who are viewing this thread