F-150 Lightning Review: Road Trips=Kryptonite.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
2.7 is a nice motor, plenty of power and great mpg's. And with the 36 gal. tank almost 800 miles of range. The 3.5 tows like diesel, makes great power and gets decent mpg's. The 5.0 sounds better and feels faster.

As for tuning them, c'mon guys it's a pickup truck. I have a truck to do truck stuff. If I want to go fast I'll drive my Turbo S or buy another Mustang and put twins in it (Yellow Blaze Boss with a Hellion kit please)

Making a truck fast go fast is like making a fat girl a ballerina, you can do it but it ain't right.

And to stay on topic EV's are still gay.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
2F5F4E0E-8397-484C-887E-63468E8D07C6.jpeg
Oak Creek, WI to Cincinnati. Can’t complain. I have the smaller tank too (21 gallons maybe?)

And I do agree with @7998 in that I’d much rather go fast in a car anyway. Although it is oddly satisfying when she starts hazing the tires over once the turbos spool and it completely breaks traction on the 1-2 shift. Lol

02reaper

Established Member
Glad to see some real experience in a thread full of arm chair idiots lol. Glad it is performing as advertised for you. Crazy that you drove almost 500mi as the range was supposed to be only 300mi iirc.

I don’t own an EV but I certainly wouldn’t mind one as a DD. I would never travel more than 500mi in a day so it would be easy for me to plug it in and charge it once a week at night. If I ever did travel more than 500mi I’d wanna stop for an hr anyway so that time charging wouldn’t be an issue for me either. I’ve seen plenty of Rivian’s and Lucid Air’s around me but not one lightning.
Just to be clear, I did have to stop and charge twice for roughly 15 mins or so per stop on that trip home. Using the stock navigation, it seems to want you to make several stops just kind of topping it off rather than long stretches and pulling in with low battery. Luckily most of my charging is at home and long trips are only a few times a year. So far just charging at home has cost me $34 last month. Spent $7.43 in electricity coming home from buying it in that 430 mile stretch, and cost me $60 to top my ecoboost off going to buy it.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Just to be clear, I did have to stop and charge twice for roughly 15 mins or so per stop on that trip home. Using the stock navigation, it seems to want you to make several stops just kind of topping it off rather than long stretches and pulling in with low battery. Luckily most of my charging is at home and long trips are only a few times a year. So far just charging at home has cost me $34 last month. Spent $7.43 in electricity coming home from buying it in that 430 mile stretch, and cost me $60 to top my ecoboost off going to buy it.

Strap a trailer to it and head to the track. Hopefully it’s under 35 miles from you.

Tezz500

Established Member
Because ppl used the Gen 2 Lightning to tow all the time …..

You should really do a Google search before you start typing.

Image1667584151.891388.jpg

Image1667584158.240192.jpg

I can’t speak for Gen 2s. I owned a Gen 1 Lightning for about 16 years. And that truck moved me from Delaware to Virginia making several trips back and forth, 300miles round trip with a full utility trailer hooked to it.

The new “Lightning” is not a Gen 1 or 2 Lightning.

It is an abomination and disgrace to the Vehicle Line.

HE bought a crew cab “truck” that can’t do any truck things besides haul groceries from Walmart in the frunk.

kaz109

Established Member

View attachment 1767805
View attachment 1767806

I can’t speak for Gen 2s. I owned a Gen 1 Lightning for about 16 years. And that truck moved me from Delaware to Virginia making several trips back and forth, 300miles round trip with a full utility trailer hooked to it.

HE bought a crew cab “truck” that can’t do any truck things besides haul groceries from Walmart in the frunk.
Jesus Christ google has turned ppl into idiots without common sense lol….. let me try to say it in a simplistic way so you can understand.

Yes the Gen 2 was physically capable of towing but that isn’t what it was meant to do seeing as it had a 5000lb tow rating . Did ppl tow more ? Possibly, was it recommended? NOPE.

I’ve never personally seen you make this statement but I will tell you the general mindset of SVTP “ I don’t care what it’s built for , this is how the majority of ppl will use it” case in point the Raptor and TRX. It’s well know ppl love the TRX on this site and it’s because of its pavement princess numbers. They have zero interest in using it off road ( what it was designed for) so just like that market 95% of the lightning market will use it as you stated, for trips to Walmart , Starbucks and Home Depot all while being able to still kill most vehicles on the road stoplight to stoplight ( just as ppl would use a TRX)

So what it can’t do in towing it makes up for in acceleration ( which is what a street performance truck is supposed to be) just like the Gen 2 lightning and the Ram SRT-10

kaz109

Established Member
Honestly I think ford dropped the ball design wise on the lightning by trying to make it look to much like a normal F150
14A560AA-C0D2-4B2E-839F-E6CC3366F6D5.jpeg

This is 100% what it should looked like and it should’ve had a 650hp NA 7.3L V8…… but to say it can’t do “truck things” because it’s doesn’t have the power plant we all wanted is just naive

BlueSnake01

Established Member

View attachment 1767805
View attachment 1767806

Gen 2's only towed up to 5k lbs or so, I believe that was Kaz's point. Im sure a lot of people complained that it only towed 5k as well.

Difference with that is Ford never really said much about Gen's 2 towing ability. However, on the newer Lightning, Ford put its out that it can tow an impressive 10k lbs with proper equipment. Issue is, it would be lucky to get above 100 miles towing it.

Someone did a test on one towing 4k? and had an est rating of 130 miles and we all know how "spot on" the est numbers are.

Edit: Kaz beat me to it

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I dislike the EV Lightning as much as anyone but Tezz is getting a little out there with apples to oranges comparisons

Tezz500

Established Member
Jesus Christ google has turned ppl into idiots without common sense lol….. let me try to say it in a simplistic way so you can understand.

Yes the Gen 2 was physically capable of towing but that isn’t what it was meant to do seeing as it had a 5000lb tow rating . Did ppl tow more ? Possibly, was it recommended? NOPE.

I’ve never personally seen you make this statement but I will tell you the general mindset of SVTP “ I don’t care what it’s built for , this is how the majority of ppl will use it” case in point the Raptor and TRX. It’s well know ppl love the TRX on this site and it’s because of its pavement princess numbers. They have zero interest in using it off road ( what it was designed for) so just like that market 95% of the lightning market will use it as you stated, for trips to Walmart , Starbucks and Home Depot all while being able to still kill most vehicles on the road stoplight to stoplight ( just as ppl would use a TRX)

So what it can’t do in towing it makes up for in acceleration ( which is what a street performance truck is supposed to be) just like the Gen 2 lightning and the Ram SRT-10

You’re welcome to drop insults to help bolster your arguments but let’s keep focused on some facts and data…

Have you ever owned any Generation of the Lightning?

Do you have any experience with either the Gen 1 or 2?

If not I’d recommend kicking back and sitting this one out because you are wayyy out of your element.

The Gen 1 and 2 were/are very capable at towing 5000lbs. I have personally proven this having owned and used a Gen 1 Lightning to tow MANY MANY times with various different types of loads.

This new electric go cart can barely get out of the neighborhood with a trailer and a lawnmower.

kaz109

Established Member
You’re welcome to drop insults to help bolster your arguments but let’s keep focused on some facts and data…

Have you ever owned any Generation of the Lightning?

Do you have any experience with either the Gen 1 or 2?

If not I’d recommend kicking back and sitting this one out because you are wayyy out of your element.

The Gen 1 and 2 were/are very capable at towing 5000lbs. I have personally proven this having owned and used a Gen 1 Lightning to tow MANY MANY times with various different types of loads.

This new electric go cart can barely get out of the neighborhood with a trailer and a lawnmower.
This is your rebuttal lol . My reply was nothing but data and facts .

kaz109

Established Member
I’ll ask again since you chose to ignore it.

Have you owned a pervious generation 1 or 2 Lightning?

Do you have any experience towing with one?
I will answer even though you glossed over my original post, no I have not used a Gen 1 or 2 to tow not have I owned either ….. what I have done is the same thing 95% of ppl that own them do, I have driven it and had fun experiencing the acceleration. You grasping at the tow capability is a straw man argument.

Tezz500

Established Member
I will answer even though you glossed over my original post, no I have not used a Gen 1 or 2 to tow not have I owned either ….. what I have done is the same thing 95% of ppl that own them do, I have driven it and had fun experiencing the acceleration. You grasping at the tow capability is a straw man argument.

Lol you can get mad and shitty with me all you want… but the facts remain the same.

You brought up the towing capacities and claims of what “95%” of owners use their Gen 1/2 lightnings for with ZERO experience… ****ing LAUGHABLE…

Ford built a vehicle based on a worker mule truck and it’s a total hunk of SHIT.

The new “Lightning” is NOT a performance truck.

Do you even have one of these slabs on order? You sound so invested in this… LMAO.

bglf83

Established Member

Good thing you only spent 20 to 30k more than the ecoboost costs.

I mean you could probably only drive 200k miles with the money saved by using gas, but I am sure it’s great.

Users who are viewing this thread