F-35 Crash Ft Worth

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
ryan reynolds lol GIF by Lionsgate

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
he zigged when he should have zagged...why didn't he roll back the throttle after the bounce? That went from bad to worse, then he punched out...I read the pilot is ok, hopefully the plane is not a complete write off

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Of course another Bravo...
The F-35B borrows technology from Yakovlev, specifically the YAK-38, the Lifting fan driven by a shaft, and jet nozzle pointing down vs the Harrier that diverted engine thrust into 4 pivoting heads fore and aft and was a bitch to keep balanced. But you had more room in the fuselage for things aside a giant fan.
Armchair, looks like the fan lost power, and as the pilot had the throttle still up after the "abrupt landing" when it started bucking and the nose strike from the aircraft still being in the VTOL config and the rear jet engine was providing plenty of thrust but the lifting fan was not doing crap.
Well the ejection seat works.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Oddly enough they had been grounded earlier this year because the canisters in their seats were found on inspection by accident (as well as several other airframes that use that seat) to be light and missing the powder that propels it out of the aircraft.

MG0h3

Established Member
WTH. Kinda seemed like the situation was winding down safely and then poof, ejection.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
WTH. Kinda seemed like the situation was winding down safely and then poof, ejection.

That shoot had no time to deploy. Looks like if he stayed with it for 15 more seconds he could have used the stairs.
My thoughts when I watched it is that maybe the ejection seat has ties to the computers and it kills the engine or fuel relays? As in the fastest way to shut it down is to get out of it?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I think he punched out instead of taking a chance of being inverted on the tarmac, and getting consumed by fire.

I think the lift fan was down on power either transmission or driveshaft issue cause once he hits the ground the thrust it makes relative to the jet instantly goes to 0.

At least this one didn't identify as a Navy Submarine near China or in the Med or off NE of Japan.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think he punched out instead of taking a chance of being inverted on the tarmac, and getting consumed by fire.

I think the lift fan was down on power either transmission or driveshaft issue cause once he hits the ground the thrust it makes relative to the jet instantly goes to 0.

At least this one didn't identify as a Navy Submarine near China or in the Med or off NE of Japan.
Speaking of….have those been recovered?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Speaking of….have those been recovered?
The ones in the med and south China Sea have been, but the Japaneese one that crashed was at a speed that very little was recoverable even if you could find pieces.

2 other things I've noticed.

1. There could have been a logic error as well because as soon as the aircraft senses WOW (weight on Wheels) you can see the fan doors closing. I assume the fan is off as well or it knows the fan is not spinning as otherwise this would not be great for an aircraft landing on a rolling deck of a ship in rough seas.

2. You'll see a puff of smoke from the engine before the aircraft begins to descend. Could be anything from injestion of exhaust, to a common mechanical failure, or a failure in the drive train, it uses a clutch so it can get smoked especially when new.
All speculation as you have a secret aircraft with liscenced Russian/Soviet tech as Lockheed paid for most of the research for the Yak-141 in the early 90s to counter Boeing having the AV-8B in their stable as everyone was getting geared up for what became the JSF program. The 141 and F-35B are very different, with the F-35B being much more simple.

Users who are viewing this thread