F$%&.....Dual Aviator Pumps Installed...OUT OF FUEL!

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Hey Jerry,

Any luck with the datalogs?

MJ

I've put 3 miles on my car since I typed that until today.. between rain and work, its been bad. I'll do the datalogs tomorrow and send them to you.

Jerry

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
I've put 3 miles on my car since I typed that until today.. between rain and work, its been bad. I'll do the datalogs tomorrow and send them to you.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

MJ

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Jerry,

A datalog would be AWESOME. Can you turn the BAP off and datalog the following for me:

FPDM duty cycle
Fuel rail pressure
MAF voltage
Engine Speed

A WOT run in 3rd gear on the street from around 2000rpm to redline would be perfect. If you use Autotap, please convert it to a *.csv format and email it to me: [email protected]

Thank you SO MUCH!

MJ

SENT! Two WOT pulls in 3rd gear on the street, first was from 2000rpm. I merged the two worksheets into one so it forced me to save it as a .xls. If that is not useable, I'll send you the individual .csv files.

One run the FPDM went to 49ish%, the other it kissed 50. So Dual Aviators no BAP = just maxed out. The problem is that it was 81 degrees and 60% humidity. Give me a 50 degree day and those suckers are at the limit again. Lovely. I'm betting the lines can't flow whats needed at the current pressure.

Jerry

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by vector
:(

Vector, we need datalogs from your car also. One instance of this can be an anomoly, two makes it a posibility, and three datapoints that all match up will cement this in my mind: Dual Aviator pumps in the '03 Cobra setup are done at 600rwhp with no BAP and running base fuel pressure (delta_P=39psi).

Now as to the fix, I'm putting my money on the FPDM being the culprit. I believe that it can not handle driving these two pumps in parallel. From the datasheets for the pumps they could be drawing up to 12amps EACH at max flow and 13v drive. I know for a fact that the FPDM is not set up to sink 24Amps. I'll be investigating this in the coming week or two.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
SENT! Two WOT pulls in 3rd gear on the street, first was from 2000rpm. I merged the two worksheets into one so it forced me to save it as a .xls. If that is not useable, I'll send you the individual .csv files.

One run the FPDM went to 49ish%, the other it kissed 50. So Dual Aviators no BAP = just maxed out. The problem is that it was 81 degrees and 60% humidity. Give me a 50 degree day and those suckers are at the limit again. Lovely. I'm betting the lines can't flow whats needed at the current pressure.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the datalogs! It really helped me cope with the fact that this is a real problem and not just an anomoly with my car.

I'll keep you posted as to what I discover on the fix (if there is an easy one).

MJ

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Damn guys this is bad news since you know what they cost...

I am running them because my tuner couldn't tune the return system I made. I think I will go back to the dual walbro 255's and return style over the winter. I left the lines in the car so I can easily convert back. Now I just need to find a tuner...

KEep us posted to what you find..
PS- What do I need to datalog this? Will autotap work?

Rog

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Jerry,

Thanks for the datalogs! It really helped me cope with the fact that this is a real problem and not just an anomoly with my car.

I'll keep you posted as to what I discover on the fix (if there is an easy one).

MJ

Your welcome and I call dibbs on alpha/beta testing of the new Zone-5 Performance Products S-FPDM! ;)

Jerry

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Your welcome and I call dibbs on alpha/beta testing of the new Zone-5 Performance Products S-FPDM! ;)

Jerry

I'll keep that in mind! ;-)

MJ

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I dont have a raptor yet ... ill ask around see if anyone has something i could try at the track or at home

keep me up to date on info MJ on ideas or what you might be working on for any fixes

46stang

Established Member
my money is on too small of a supply line! you can't squeeze 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag! jmho. Thats why the Ford gt has bigger fuel lines with relatively similar HP output. again jmho. good luck though, if any one can get it MJ can.
Leon

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 46stang
my money is on too small of a supply line! you can't squeeze 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag! jmho. Thats why the Ford gt has bigger fuel lines with relatively similar HP output. again jmho. good luck though, if any one can get it MJ can.
Leon

Hi Leon,

If this is the case, I should easily be able to instrument the pressure at the pump outlet and it should read MUCH higher than the absolute pressure at the rail. Kenne Bell found out that there was roughly a 7psi drop in the lines and 3psi drop in the rails totalling 10psi. If I factor this additional 10psi into the equation for flow and use the actual data for the Aviator pumps, the result I get is WAY larger than the actual output I'm seeing on my car.

I believe the problem is in the FPDM but I'll be instrumenting that soon.

MJ

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Vector, I just missed you saturday at dyno daves, I saw you guys driving by on my way in ( 2 srt-4's and you're cobra). I wanted to see the whipple (bummer). Anyway, I talked to Brad and the SCT datalog software is available. I'm thinking about going this route because the whipple is in the future for my car. I want to have the fuel delivery hammered out before the whipple so I'm curious to what comes of this.

jasil

Established Member
MJ, I know you know all of this already, but he recent MM & FF issure had a fuel pump comparo and the aviators did not perform well at all. 40psi 60psi or 80psi......Still they should support the power your putting out.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
MJ, is there any way we could add a second FPDM and run them in tandom, each with their own aviator pump?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by jasil
MJ, I know you know all of this already, but he recent MM & FF issure had a fuel pump comparo and the aviators did not perform well at all. 40psi 60psi or 80psi......Still they should support the power your putting out.

I read that article but I don't remember the aviator pumps mentioned. Hmnnn..... I better go back and reread it.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
MJ, is there any way we could add a second FPDM and run them in tandom, each with their own aviator pump?

That was my first thought and it would be possible but would require an additional electrical conductor to be brought out of the tank. I'd like to avoid doing this if possible.

I'm looking into driving the pumps using two FPDMs in parallel and also modifying a single FPDM to effectively drive this parallel combination.

There is still the possibility that the Aviator pumps simply can not flow enough fuel and/or there is too much restriction in the lines.

MJ

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
can i please get some pics of the 10 gauge wiring to the fpdm?
especially where it hits the power source and the fpdm

Users who are viewing this thread