Factory Five Builds/builders

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Couldnt find anything with a site search...surely someone has built a Factory five kit before?

I have been doing research on building a 33' hotrod and everything it would entail. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether or not it was worth it in the end. As much as i know cars are a money pit, rather than buying a new sports car every 4-6 years... I thought it would be fun to build a 33 hot rod the way i want it...with the intent of keeping it since it would be my blood/sweat...probably involve/pass it off to my son in 15 years. I've always had a thing for cars and I'm not really sure thats going to go away...drinking on the weekends is kind of getting old, so free time should be there. I'm fixing to move and sell my house for more than I bought it for, and I have no debt...yolo.

The build would start with a 33' complete kit : leaning towards a LS3/LSX or coyote, T-56 Tranny, solid rear, hard top, decent brakes. Budgeting $50,000...another $5000 for tools that I dont have. I have beginner to intermediate mechanical knowledge but have some friends who wrench and a brother who is a mechanic by profession, close by.

what you guys think.

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The FFR Cobra roadsters are easy to build and the quality is pretty good. I helped a buddy build one 20 years ago. If FFR wasn't building good kits they wouldn't still be around. I think a '33 would be a blast to build, regardless of the drivetrain. Your budget sounds like it is more than enough unless you go with a high-end paint job.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
A guy I worked with years ago built one. Just got a wrecked donor C5 and went from there.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I haven't built one but I have been thinking about it for a while now. The Factory Five '33 coupe with fenders would be my choice. With the budget you proposed, you should have more than enough to build a bad ass hot rod.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I would like to keep it at/under $40,000 but I realize these things probably always run over budget. Not to mention I have almost no real tools, so whatever I save on the car would go to tools for the garage. I dont mind doing all the body work/ prep for paint....Id like it to end up like this but with an actual paintjob in midnight blue or dark grey.

34370826.jpeg.jpg

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Cool man, I think it is a great plan. In the long term I think the car is going to create some great memories of the whole process, and fun with the finished product.
Playing the new car game is expensive, that car will last a life time and you will treasure it.
I considered doing a Cobra myself before buying a Viper.

Good luck!

railroad

Established Member
I am in the process of building the FFR MkIV roadster.
My kit is the anniversary edition from 2015, someone canceled their order on. It has every option FFR racing offers, I think. I ordered the A50XS Coyote crate engine and TKO 600 trans. It has IRS out of the late model Mustang with Wilwood and Konis on all 4 corners, 4 18" replica wheels, 4 tube headers to the side pipes.
I am up against the wiring and need to get internet to the barn so I can review others builds. There is more than one way to put them together and other builders have blazed the trail.
I am really dragging my feet and need to get motivated and get rolling again.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'm going to just propose a different idea, but why don't you look at restoring a car instead?

I've built stick tube cars, race cars, restored cars, fixed shit ones up etc. All with my dad as a kid. Now that I'm older, the best memories I have is the TLC that went into our restorations. You appreciate something more when it's rusted/crap. You have to keep yourself motivated to push through the dirt, grease, rust, and all to get it done.

Plus in terms of value, a camaro/chevelle/mustang/impala/whatever restored will only go up in value.

If you really want to learn how to properly work on a car, restore something. The FFR kits (i've been around a few) are more like jigsaw puzzles and less like an actual fabricating/learning lessing.

railroad

Established Member
I can see your point in restoring or modding into a street rod, but hopefully you do not think a kit car is that easy or it is anyones only toy.
The cars I own and are running include,
2013 Shelby GT500
2013 F150 Ecoboost Lariat
1999 Mustang Cobra with KB and other mods
1971 Torino GT, 351 4V Clev, C-6
1968 Torino GT w 428, C-6
1967 Fairlane GT, 390, 4 Sp, 3-2s
1966 Mustang 2+2, 351 W, Alan R heads, Nitrous, 9"
1923 Bucket T 302 Roller Motor w/ C-4
Not running or driving,
1964 Falcon Futura
1960 Thunderbird, all options less big engine roof vent
1929 body and frame, flathead on the run stand
On the property,
2 1949 F100 pickups
1 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan, Flathead on the eng std
1-50 F100 running w Flathead
1-48 Deluxe, fatman frontend, 9" rear, for sale
So see, I doubt many are neglecting building the used stuff, there is just a window for a kit car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks good. Is it FFR?
I owe my wife a Cobra roadster build and leaning towards Backdraft Racing over FFR.
Car looks great.
-J

Yes FFR.

His last one was a Backdraft, and he really liked it. I'm not sure what made him change it up this time.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I am in the process of building the FFR MkIV roadster.
My kit is the anniversary edition from 2015, someone canceled their order on. It has every option FFR racing offers, I think. I ordered the A50XS Coyote crate engine and TKO 600 trans. It has IRS out of the late model Mustang with Wilwood and Konis on all 4 corners, 4 18" replica wheels, 4 tube headers to the side pipes.
I am up against the wiring and need to get internet to the barn so I can review others builds. There is more than one way to put them together and other builders have blazed the trail.
I am really dragging my feet and need to get motivated and get rolling again.

PICS!!!!!! Sounds awesome.

railroad

Established Member
14591844_10154488117502088_7616793081040415328_n.jpg
Cobra Engine pic3.jpg
Cobra Engine pic 2.jpg
DSC03014.JPG
DSC03011.JPG
DSC02999.JPG
I have a few pics, I will try to post. The engine is hanging on the cherry picker. I hope to set it in the frame to run the wires and plumbing. Just got some roller tires and wheels on it, so I could get it off the lift,,,
cherry picker would not roll in deep enough on the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread