Factory Five Builds/builders

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
How hard has it been so far putting it together? I'd love to do a Daytona especially since they just did the competition version. I've read different threads around building these cars where some had great experiences others had some set backs getting to the finish line. But that is part of the game sometimes. I would see that the Daytona had problems with the body fitting right so tweaking things in took a good while for some. Also revits lots of revits but I saw some that turned out awesome. I'm sure you're build is going to be a really nice when its finished looking forward to seeing things progress.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I am in the process of building the FFR MkIV roadster.
My kit is the anniversary edition from 2015, someone canceled their order on. It has every option FFR racing offers, I think. I ordered the A50XS Coyote crate engine and TKO 600 trans. It has IRS out of the late model Mustang with Wilwood and Konis on all 4 corners, 4 18" replica wheels, 4 tube headers to the side pipes.
I am up against the wiring and need to get internet to the barn so I can review others builds. There is more than one way to put them together and other builders have blazed the trail.
I am really dragging my feet and need to get motivated and get rolling again.

I'm jealous

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looking to get a MK4 for my retirement project. Think OP choice is pretty cool. Keep us posted if you go this route to help inform the uninformed and just to satisfy us car people!

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I'm going to just propose a different idea, but why don't you look at restoring a car instead?

I've built stick tube cars, race cars, restored cars, fixed shit ones up etc. All with my dad as a kid. Now that I'm older, the best memories I have is the TLC that went into our restorations. You appreciate something more when it's rusted/crap. You have to keep yourself motivated to push through the dirt, grease, rust, and all to get it done.

Plus in terms of value, a camaro/chevelle/mustang/impala/whatever restored will only go up in value.

If you really want to learn how to properly work on a car, restore something. The FFR kits (i've been around a few) are more like jigsaw puzzles and less like an actual fabricating/learning lessing.

That is a good thing to do. I am now in the process of rebuilding a 56 Ford Courier. While it is not a restoration as I am going restomod with it. A word if you do something like this get a car that you can find parts for. You be surprised how hard it is to find parts for an odd ball build. Luckily I have been able to run down most of the parts I need and since it is a restomod with modern driveline that makes that easier.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Had not really thought about doing a restore/restomod...I figured it would be alot harder/costly to do. I definitely wouldnt mind doing a an old Camaro/Mustang/GTO etc. Ultimately I want a 500whp classic look that can be reliable and go to the track once a year for fun, ill probably end up taking it to the drag strip more than the open track.

railroad

Established Member
The suspension and mechanical installation is a breeze. Nothing the average oil changer could not do. Parts are top notch, but the basic kits involve more individual purchases. The least expensive form would probably be a donor build. The sheet metal is not bad either. You have to fit the adjacent panels before the drilling and riveting, Most leave the panels off and go cart the frame, checking for leaks or any issues, easier to get to this way. Running hard lines, fuel and brake, takes a little planning and a few extra sticks of tubing. I started with one of the cheap benders, but wisely upgraded to a better brand and design. All the hard lines are run, fuel and brake. Two master cyl, one for the front and rear with a balance bar to adj bias. 3/8 steel line, out and return on the fuel.
As other builders do, I mark all the nuts and bolts with torque stripe, after they have been final torqued. Better than trying to remember. I have the 2 wiring harnesses partially installed on the frame. Lotsa connections and clamps still to do. The kit came with a Ron Francis wiring harness, light, gauges, fuse panel, etc. The Coyote harness is separate and includes the ECU and sensor connections. These 2, do interconnect at points. I acquired some weather tite connectors for the lights, gauges and other items that might have to be disconnected later.
Unfortunately, I have not been doing much work on the car lately. Just distracted by other stuff. I will try to share any progress on the car.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Anyone has any questions on the FFR kits I can try and help. 2 of my friends work there.

railroad

Established Member
Very nice railroad. I had plans on doing one of these years ago until the economy tanked.

I know what you mean. I was trying to work up the nerve to by a used Ford GT. The prices were way below value, but my retirement plan was taking a dive also.
There was a partially built kit on the FFR website, that is a steal. If it had been available when I bought, it would be mine. I think the partial builds, if the Mk IV and a FFR kit, are the best routes. Just make sure you get the registration plate.

Users who are viewing this thread