factory five roadster with cobra engine

xhodzax

Established Member
any thoughts ?
i think that would be an awesome built.
i have been thinking of this build for some time but had to get my terminator first.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
It's been done, so you shouldn't have any issues replicating what others have done to make it work + whatever custom touches you want. Would be a beast for sure

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
great idea! Ive been up to there factory & took there tour.there the real deal cars are race orientated & would be bad ass with cobra motor. my next project will be there "65 Daytona coupe" or A fox body drag car!good luck with your build!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Not worth it inmo. I built and owned a FF Cobra prior to my Terminator and knew a guy that built the first one with a Terminator driveline. It was a neat project at the time, but there is no advantage using a Terminator engine over a built small block or Coyote engine because those cars are super light so throwing a heavy ass engine just messes with the handling and makes useless amounts of low end torque (unless all you care about is burning up tires). My FF with a built 5.0 with dual quads only weighed 2,200 lbs so the power to weight ratio is awesome, and you don't need the low end torque like our tank weight Terminators. I have to admit I have toyed with building their '33 roadster with a Terminator engine mainly for the cool aesthetics and big block size.:-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good comments about the weight of the Terminator engine. Intriguing project idea, though.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Not worth it inmo. I built and owned a FF Cobra prior to my Terminator and knew a guy that built the first one with a Terminator driveline. It was a neat project at the time, but there is no advantage using a Terminator engine over a built small block or Coyote engine because those cars are super light so throwing a heavy ass engine just messes with the handling and makes useless amounts of low end torque (unless all you care about is burning up tires). My FF with a built 5.0 with dual quads only weighed 2,200 lbs so the power to weight ratio is awesome, and you don't need the low end torque like our tank weight Terminators. I have to admit I have toyed with building their '33 roadster with a Terminator engine mainly for the cool aesthetics and big block size.:-D

I agree with all of this. Many people say that the 289 Cobra was a far better car than the 427 because it was better balanced. The Cobra is already very aerodynamically challenged and not a car you want to be pushing that power to the limit in. As a result, you are picking up a lot of power and torque only to make it less stable and harder to manage with little if anything to be gained other than an impressive power to weight ratio that is still relatively useless.

I seen one about 10 years ago that had a Cobra motor with a Kenne Belle on it, it was moderately impressive as a talking piece, but that is about it. Honestly, Cobra are cool toys, but they aren't much more than that... why make a toy less efficient is what I would ask.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I agree with all of this. Many people say that the 289 Cobra was a far better car than the 427 because it was better balanced. The Cobra is already very aerodynamically challenged and not a car you want to be pushing that power to the limit in. As a result, you are picking up a lot of power and torque only to make it less stable and harder to manage with little if anything to be gained other than an impressive power to weight ratio that is still relatively useless.

I seen one about 10 years ago that had a Cobra motor with a Kenne Belle on it, it was moderately impressive as a talking piece, but that is about it. Honestly, Cobra are cool toys, but they aren't much more than that... why make a toy less efficient is what I would ask.

Exactly. The car as designed has almost a perfect 50/50 weight distribution with a smallblock and handles really well as a result. The car even with 300hp will easily outrun stock Terminators, especially in autocross or track events.

Here is mine
IMG_0047.jpg

Last edited:

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I have a friend who put a 427 aluminum Shelby block in his and its a monster, I cant remember his total weight but I know he still races it and loves it and his times are near the top of the list. ill try to find some pics of it, he polishes it with airplane wax too (polished aluminum body)

Users who are viewing this thread