failed GT500 strut mounts

chao5.0

Established Member
Has anyone had a GT500 strut mount fail on them in a short period of time, say less than 15k miles?

right now my car is experiencing a popping noise and I feel it as well in my toe board on the drivers side. at first I though it was the competition end links until I check them and they were tight. next I check the control arm bushing and they seem to be intact and not failing at the moment so that leaves me to believe the strut mount is failing. the thing that is throwing me off is that my steering wheel was nice a centered before the weekend and now its off a few degrees to the left and the car pulls to the right when straightened and its getting worse the more I drive it. the car is also wandering and following the grooves of the road a little more since this started happening. this kind of puts me in a dilemma because I have surgery tomorrow and I'll be down for the next 5 weeks so I won't be able to work on the car, the up side is I also won't be able to drive the car after today but if I can pin point the source at least I can order parts and then possibly guide a buddy on how to replace said parts with me watching. if it is the mounts then I'll just replace it with another for now since next year the car is hopefully all new suspension from Cortex or Vorshlag so I don't want to go to crazy other than replacing what is needed for now. my current suspension set up is minimal for what I want, BMR springs, Strange adj. shocks, GT500 mounts (duh), and Steeda comp. end links, BMR adj. panhard bar, no complaints because its a good suspension setup for DD and aggressive driving duties.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Has anyone had a GT500 strut mount fail on them in a short period of time, say less than 15k miles?

right now my car is experiencing a popping noise and I feel it as well in my toe board on the drivers side. at first I though it was the competition end links until I check them and they were tight. next I check the control arm bushing and they seem to be intact and not failing at the moment so that leaves me to believe the strut mount is failing. the thing that is throwing me off is that my steering wheel was nice a centered before the weekend and now its off a few degrees to the left and the car pulls to the right when straightened and its getting worse the more I drive it. the car is also wandering and following the grooves of the road a little more since this started happening. this kind of puts me in a dilemma because I have surgery tomorrow and I'll be down for the next 5 weeks so I won't be able to work on the car, the up side is I also won't be able to drive the car after today but if I can pin point the source at least I can order parts and then possibly guide a buddy on how to replace said parts with me watching. if it is the mounts then I'll just replace it with another for now since next year the car is hopefully all new suspension from Cortex or Vorshlag so I don't want to go to crazy other than replacing what is needed for now. my current suspension set up is minimal for what I want, BMR springs, Strange adj. shocks, GT500 mounts (duh), and Steeda comp. end links, BMR adj. panhard bar, no complaints because its a good suspension setup for DD and aggressive driving duties.

Check your tie rods.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I had a brand new one from Ford be defective earlier this week. I swapped it out and the car is whisper quiet again. It happens.

chao5.0

Established Member
I figured it was going to happen just didn't know how common it is, everything is going to fail eventually. the more I've read up on it the more people recommend CC plates but right now with me not sure which coilovers I'm going with kind of puts me in a unknown position. plus Vorshlag builds their CC plates to your shock and spring setup, I'm sure Cortex is somewhat similar.

SVT1996Cobra

Established Member
I've got a slight popping coming from my passenger side. I suspect it is the gt500 sturt mount as everything is tight and new. Bought them brand new and its only been around 5k miles. Sucks because now I have to tear it all apart and pay for another damn alignment along with another set of strut mounts!

chao5.0

Established Member
if you have the cash get a set of CC plates, it will have more NVH but you won't have these issues. not saying this is a regular issue with these mounts but you sound like you don't want to be doing this again and again so just get a set of CC plates.

Users who are viewing this thread