Family SUV suggestions?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Trackhawk or hellcat durango.
Would really like to stay under 60k, and even open to something used. Getting ready to build a house so trying to not go crazy on price but daughter's car is ready for a trade-in due to some reliability issues.

PRICE STARTING AT
$92,780

Tezz500

Established Member
Where are you located?
740ish miles one way. Will keep you in mind, but a bit further than I was hoping to go to get one. Of course, I've not really started truly shopping in my area and may find I have to go that route.
Highly Recommend you take Nick up on his offer.

Bought My 2022 F1fiddy from Nick and it was the smoothest process I've ever experienced with a Dealership.

Not to mention, something kinda cool about getting picked up at the airport in your freshly bought vehicle and driving it home to get to know her.

LS WUT

Established Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone here driven a Lincoln Aviator?
While I’d personally pick an Explorer ST, planing an explorer Limited vs the basic Aviator.
We did an extended test drive and were impressed.
-J

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Replaced our ‘13 Explorer Limited with a ‘19 Subaru Ascent Limited in October last year for the wife. Yes, the brand is hippy bs, love each other crap, but our vehicle has been great and our dealer service better than our Ford experiences.

I’d recommend the Subaru. It’s done everything we’ve needed and not left us on the side of the road. The all wheel drive has been great here in NE Ohio and the turbo 4 in it is decently peppy. A test drive costs you nothing.

Tezz500

Established Member
Replaced our ‘13 Explorer Limited with a ‘19 Subaru Ascent Limited in October last year for the wife. Yes, the brand is hippy bs, love each other crap, but our vehicle has been great and our dealer service better than our Ford experiences.

I’d recommend the Subaru. It’s done everything we’ve needed and not left us on the side of the road. The all wheel drive has been great here in NE Ohio and the turbo 4 in it is decently peppy. A test drive costs you nothing.

Image1671599318.019435.jpg

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
At a minimum I know my water pump won’t shit the bed causing my engine to seize. Regardless, we’ll be out of this vehicle before any age/wear related issues just like we are every other.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Anyone here driven a Lincoln Aviator?
While I’d personally pick an Explorer ST, planing an explorer Limited vs the basic Aviator.
We did an extended test drive and were impressed.
-J
Test drove the Explorer ST and the Lincoln Aviator. Lincoln was much much much nicer. Wife ordered one the way she wanted. Very happy with purchase. Will not drag the Shelby but it is surprisingly quick. Granddaughter approves as well.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
With two kids that are nearing adult age I would go with the Explorer. 2nd row is comfy for two people, especially with the captains chairs and the trunk has some room with the 3rd row down.
MPG is good for the power you get, sport mode moves it out and my opinion it's the most sporty SUV in it's class.

I had one for a bit and no complaints outside of a glitchy screen. I know the newer ones come with a 1 bolt rear axle, so don't launch it constantly or hard lol.

I've also driven a 5.7 Durango R/T, which is nice too but power delivery wise the ST wins hands down. Never had the chance to drive the 392 one.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
2021 Explorer ST here and both my wife and I absolutely love the thing. We have 2 kids - 4yr old and 5mo old - so we have experience in packing it with crap to take trips.

Stock for now but plans to tune, intercooler and lower it are in order. It feels on par, in stock form, with my wife's 2015 Edge Sport tuned by Unleashed Tuning. Just squats and boogies when you give it the full beans. Once tuned it should be a monster.

Gas mileage for my wife's daily commute is around 21.2mpg and the only real gripe with the thing is the infotainment screen has had some issues with freezing/blue screens. Ford swapped it out once and sounds like it will need to be swapped out once more but its a very rare occurrence(maybe once every 4-5 months). The rest is fantastic and the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel are just awesome on hot/cold days.

If you do go Explorer ST, grab the tech pack and street pack(brake pad upgrade). Worth the coin for all the additional things that come with both and you get the better looking 21" wheels.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
On my fusion you would occasionally get a screen freeze and holding the power button/seek for 3 seconds would reboot it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Test drove the Explorer ST and the Lincoln Aviator. Lincoln was much much much nicer. Wife ordered one the way she wanted. Very happy with purchase. Will not drag the Shelby but it is surprisingly quick. Granddaughter approves as well.
Good taste you have.
We did the test drive of a max loaded Black Label during the early pandemic and her only reason for not going with it was it was ‘too nice’.
She is not a car person at all so likely will get an Explorer Limited.
Thanks for the owners perspective.
-J

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My vote would be the Explorer ST or a Traverse.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee’s are small and I hated the one I had as a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Explorer ST. Can't go wrong with it.

As for personal experience, We've had it for a couple years. the only Con has been the back up camera which would blue out from a bad connection. Fixed under warranty by ford.

Pros:

The damn thing will go ANYWHERE. drove it deep into the mountains over some questionable terrain with no issues.
Drove it through the March 2021 Denver Blizzard to get to work. no issues.
Gets good mileage for being a TT V6.
Interior is excellent. plenty of room but its not a Giant Expedition sized behemoth.
peppy and fun to drive.
Massage and heated seats were a dream driving it from Virginia to Denver.
Comes with a Ford Racing school Driving course if that's somehting youd enjoy.

2020-ford-explorer-st.jpg
That's pretty much an exact duplicate of one I built on the ford site the other day lol. Color too.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
One of my son's friends was driving his dad's Bronco. 2" lift and "big tires". Wife liked. We shall see what shakes out. I'm ok with either, with the explorer getting the nod because of it's performance. We can get in a Bronco for about 5k less, give or take.

Users who are viewing this thread