Fedor: Open To UFC Talks

Dusten

Established Member
MMALinker.com - MMA, UFC, Mixed Martial Arts Fight Videos

ccording to the Carmichael Dave show:

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 million dollars a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

The offer was deemed to be a good one by M-1 Global but they turned it down after the UFC refused to climb down on the issue of co-promoting events. This deal now looks dead in the water and Fedors manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, has admitted that they will now begin to explore other options.

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Fedor was offered $30 million dollars for 6 fights, as well as the ability to compete in sambo and wear as much M-1 gear as he wants. I guess we'll know tomorrow for sure.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Why does the deal involve Fedor and M1? Is it because he is still under contract with them so they have to pay M1 for the rights?

That seems like a good deal for him though!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
wow, what awesome logic by M-1. i'm real sure dana and the UFC is just chomping at the bit to promote a rival. oh well, M-1 will continue to be mediocre, Fedor will continue to fight average HWs with a few big names every now and then, and the UFC will continue to gain more market share and more money as they continue to promote whoever the 'next big thing' happens to be.
I have hard time believing they'll give him an open contract because then all their fighters are going to start demanding the same treatment and the UFC loses their control.
my thoughts exactly!! if zuffa gave him that, they'd lose all their leverage on closed contracts and never gain it back.
elaborate please. what are they gonna do, leave? i'm sure curious where they would go. japan maybe? that's about the only option available that would actually pay on the same scale as the UFC. simply put, all the UFC has to say is 'get a 30-1 record and you can have an open contract', or even 'go ahead, find another organization that is even close'. the UFCs leverage, control, is all in the form of market share. no one is even close and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.

“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
wow, what awesome logic by M-1. i'm real sure dana and the UFC is just chomping at the bit to promote a rival. oh well, M-1 will continue to be mediocre, Fedor will continue to fight average HWs with a few big names every now and then, and the UFC will continue to gain more market share and more money as they continue to promote whoever the 'next big thing' happens to be.

elaborate please. what are they gonna do, leave? i'm sure curious where they would go. japan maybe? that's about the only option available that would actually pay on the same scale as the UFC. simply put, all the UFC has to say is 'get a 30-1 record and you can have an open contract', or even 'go ahead, find another organization that is even close'. the UFCs leverage, control, is all in the form of market share. no one is even close and that's all there is to it.

From what I've been hearing is that there are plenty of other leagues that pay more, especially to fighters starting out. The UFC only pays big if you make yourself popular. You can be one of the top MMA fighters like Mir but if you don't pull popularity your paycheck is gonna take a hit. I'm willing to bet Dream, M1, Strikeforce all pay better across the board than the UFC does but that's just my guess.

The fighters must be happy with the UFC if they are staying there. There's been a few that have gotten pissed at one point about the contracts like Couture but he went back.

What I didn't realize before was that Fedor owns a portion of M1 so that's why the two go hand in hand. I couldn't figure out why they were saying M1 was deciding on the approval of the contract.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'm willing to bet Dream, M1, Strikeforce all pay better across the board than the UFC does but that's just my guess.

The fighters must be happy with the UFC if they are staying there. There's been a few that have gotten pissed at one point about the contracts like Couture but he went back.

One thing to think about though is if you're in the ufc you'll pull more sponsors and you'll get paid more by those sponsors.

Users who are viewing this thread