Feedback on the Spec stage 3+ and questions.

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well my buddy just got finished installing my new spec just a bit ago, and he doesn't have the adj firewall correct, but the pedal travel is easier and it grabs quite well.
Obviously, he stated that the adjuster was all the way out so it is grabbing like 2 inches off the floor and I can hear the pressure plate still whining like it isn't disengaging.

Don't worry guys, I didn't drive it far, and I have a quick question. He stated that underneath the bellhousing he suspects that there is a clip of some sort that keeps the cable sationary and prevents it from coming up toward the firewall and making slack in the cable. There wasn't one there upon disassembly and he suspects that it might be the reason whiy my centerforce went so quickly.

Now just to be sure, adjusting the adjuster clockwise will put MORE slack into the cable causing it to release later putting less stress on my pressure plate, correct?

5 miles down, and 495 to go on the break in period......:bored::bash:

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I feel your pain. The crappy roads in PA here I just broke mine in two weeks ago. Its a long 500 miles! :)

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
im just over 500 miles on my Spec3+ and I love it. Alot less chatter and feels solid. Dont know about the adjuster though.

midtex01gt

Established Member
I checked it this morning and the firewall is all the way in....does anyone know if there is supposed to be a click

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Do you mean click as in turning in/out the firewall adjuster? Most have a click as they lock into place so they don't move.

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well my computer crashed mid-post! What I meant to say is, under the clutch housing, where the cable passes through that little opening under the cover, there is movement of not only the cable inside, but of the entire cable assembly! Is that normal? OR should that cable housing stay put? I originally suspected that there was supposed to be some type of clip or something to keep the housing stationary while the clutch cable is moving in and out, but I called Ford and they said that there was no such clip and that the tension is supposed to keep the cable "housing" in place..

So I guess I need to get under the car and take a look at what is going on, and also see how the clutch cable is attached to the pedal...

...any suggestions? Right now the clutch is at full grab about 2 inches off the floor and nearly kills the car at every stop, making it nearly undrivable....

midtex01gt

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a bracket/gasket/bushing under the bellhousing to hold onto the clutch cable assembly? I am getting different answers from my 2 Ford dealers...

fatal1

Established Member
There is a little C-clip that holds the outer part of the cable stationary, it goes on the back side of the bellhousing where the cable passes thru a little hole. This holds the casing of the cable while the cable itself is able to travel and work your clutch.

Oh and the Spec 3+ is what I have, so far so good.

midtex01gt

Established Member
Does ANYONE have the part # for that little clip? I have been looking at a diagram faxed to me by my local ford dealer with no luck...

midtex01gt

Established Member
You have a part #? Or a way to search? I miss my Cobra, but won't risk burning up another clutch till this is handled....

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
It's a type of e clip, perhaps a reg ol hardware store has the right size if u take the cable with you. With the cable moving around not a good thing. I would think any old new edge gt mustang uses the same clip cause the cables are the same.

I have the 3+ btw w the lpr p/p, alum flywheel very easy to push in, kinda grabby but now fairly usable. I also have a spring on cable in bellhousing like a ldc cable mod. Adj. in toward the firewall = more slack, have to push in more to disengage the clutch. I used about 1/8" cable freeplay. Without that clip would be hard to tell imo. I should mention I have a quick quad also.

Last edited:

midtex01gt

Established Member
well I think my ford dealer has tracked down the c clip but won't have it until next week. I will need to wait until next sunday before I can put it in...

fatal1

Established Member
About 200 hp ago for you. Alot of people break theirs with very little mods, either launching or hitting the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread