Felony eluding vs misdemenor eluding

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
What is the difference and what would a motorcyclist who runs from the cops in excess of 150 mph look at for charges I'm just wondering.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Having bad thoughts about what if and I think they would crush the bike because its paid off.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
He said he shut off at 130. And there were no police involved.

I know. I posted in that one too. Just poking fun at the young buck...I mean, he's trying to buy the Barney car so I gotta bust his chops a little. Lol.

OP, j/k. Your my boy blue. And please be careful on that bike!

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I know. I posted in that one too. Just poking fun at the young buck...I mean, he's trying to buy the Barney car so I gotta bust his chops a little. Lol.

OP, j/k. Your my boy blue. And please be careful on that bike!

Haha my dads shar-pei is named blue , the traction control really saves me, theres been a few times were I would've spun out with out it!
Don't hate hahaha

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
At speeds like that, I'm pretty sure it'd be a felony charge, compounded by whatever other charges the officer can think of....

***I'm not an officer, nor an attorney. What I said may or may not be true.

mkb116

Established Member
Absolutely felony. The bike would be the least of your worries. Your doing prison time or eternity in a grave when you rear end a pickup at 110. I've seen both.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Absolutely felony. The bike would be the least of your worries. Your doing prison time or eternity in a grave when you rear end a pickup at 110. I've seen both.

+1
OP should worry about being alive after some stupidity like that not what charge he's gonna catch.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Having bad thoughts about what if and I think they would crush the bike because its paid off.

we can only hope they crush the bike. don't know who was on it, don't particularly care but hopefuly the judge would crush the rider under the hand of justice as well

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Sec. 38.04. EVADING ARREST OR DETENTION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally flees from a person he knows is a peace officer or federal special investigator attempting lawfully to arrest or detain him.
b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is:(1) a state jail felony if the actor has been previously convicted under this section;(2) a felony of the third degree if:(A) the actor uses a vehicle while the actor is in flight;(B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight; or(C) the actor uses a tire deflation device against the officer while the actor is in flight; or(3) a felony of the second degree if:(A) another suffers death as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight; or(B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of the actor's use of a tire deflation device while the actor is in flight.(c) In this section:(1) "Vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
In Virginia it would definately be a felony. ANYTIME, in a pursuit, if the fleeing party exceeds the posted speed limit by 20MPH or more, law states it is an automatic felony. It can also be a felony under that speed if other criteria are met.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
If the person who is fleeing the police did not commit a felony (say you clocked them going 10 mph over, and they decide to run) police cannot pursue?

Is this true? I heard they will not chase because it is not worth the risk to other civilians

S8ER01Z

Established Member
If the person who is fleeing the police did not commit a felony (say you clocked them going 10 mph over, and they decide to run) police cannot pursue?

Is this true? I heard they will not chase because it is not worth the risk to other civilians

Really depends on where you are... varies by department. RI County here is no pursue unless original charge/reason is a felony. Individual departments within the county can/will chase for anything while others have no chase policies.*

* also not leo or lawyer...

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Depends of the individual Department policy.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

If you attempt to elude, I will pursue.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
If you attempt to elude, I will pursue.

So if the fleeing person did not commit a felony, you will risk the lives of other innocent civilians to try and catch them? I am not saying you are the bad guy, just saying that the risk of killing other people skyrocket during a chase. Is it really worth the risk of having a fatal crash to apprehend somebody who is evading a speeding ticket?

LS2GTO

Established Member
So if the fleeing person did not commit a felony, you will risk the lives of other innocent civilians to try and catch them? I am not saying you are the bad guy, just saying that the risk of killing other people skyrocket during a chase. Is it really worth the risk of having a fatal crash to apprehend somebody who is evading a speeding ticket?

If that's the case, then noone will ever get another small non-felony ticket. Everyone will know to keep going knowing they cannot be pursed.

Getting pulled over for tinted windows or missing front plate...just run because the cop cannot pursue you since the original crime is not a felony. Get clocked at 70 in a 55...well keep on going because the cop cannot pursue you for the same reason.

Really think that's going to happen?

Users who are viewing this thread