Fender rolling botched! How was yours?

Did your fenders chip and flake when rolled?

• Yes, the paint chipped and flaked.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No, mine came out nicely.

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bockfipher

Established Member
I just had my fenders rolled at a shop today. They botched the hell out of them and my paint is cracked and flaking off in large strips. The guy who did the work didn't use a heat gun and instead of taking his time, it took him longer to bolt the roller on the hub than it did for him to roll the fender.

I argued with the owner of the shop for almost three hours before leaving and he claims that there is a *90%* chance that your paint will chip if the fenders are rolled.

I tried explaining to him that his guy didn't follow the basic instructions that Eastwood provides with the tool, nor did he take his time. The owner stuck to his guns and offered to "make things right" by putting a strip of clear 3M tape on the inside lip of my fenders to discourage any further damage.

Obviously, I am more than a little pissed about this.

When I was leaving, he told me to come back on Monday and show him examples of people who had their fenders rolled without cracking the paint. He said that he has only had one car to not flake in his 24 years of rolling fenders.

I agreed to see what information I could put together, as well as contact Eastwood and see if they agree with his "90% chance" of cracking [if the tool is used correctly] assertion.

I've seen enough examples over the years to know that it can be done without cracking, or at the very least with minimal cracking, but what they did to my car is a damned shame.

Anyway, so, who has had a good experience with using the Eastwood Fender Roller or a shop when having your fenders rolled. Did yours chip and flake?

03mgmcobra

Established Member
first reply here...mine got botched about a month and a half ago. i posted this same deal. i actually thought i was reading my op!. pics of yours?

twhitey

Established Member
If that was the case he should have told you the 90% rule before he touched your car.

Bockfipher

Established Member
pics of yours?
I just got home in the dark, so no pics 'till tomorrow. Frankly, I'm pretty depressed about it and already dreading seeing it in the daylight.

Incidentally, I followed your post closely and cringed at the thought of a shop doing this to me as well. In fact, I showed the owner of the shop your post as and explained to him that there were 3 pages of response from people speaking out against what they did to your car, and nobody used the "well, you knew there was a chance..." excuse, so that was an example of out-of-the-norm fender rolling. He wasn't moved.

If that was the case he should have told you the 90% rule before he touched your car.

I explained that fact to him numerous times. I told him I would have rather put the damned 285's back on instead if someone had told me that there was a 90% chance that I'd be looking at the chipped, flaking mess that I have in my fenderwells now.

His response was to inform his staff that they are to notify customers from this point forward that there is a 90% chance that their paint will chip. :rolleyes:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Dam dude, that really blows. I ponderd getting my lips rolled but I just couldn't take it if the paint flaked on my car. What if you were to take a razor blade and make a scribe in the lip (under the fender of course) before rolling it? I'd still use the heat gun, but maybe the scribe line will keep the paint on the outside of the fender from being affected by the lip being bent in.

Silverboost

Established Member
Rolling fenders without chipping the paint is not hard at all. I did my car and a buddies GTO first time ever and didn't chip any paint. The whole key to rolling fenders is to have a 2nd person keeping the paint hot with a heat gun and slowly rolling the fenders. When I mean slowly...I mean only do a little bending at a time. Don't get on there and crank up the pressure on the lip and try to do it all in 1 or 2 shots. Instead do small increments in pressure gradually increasing to allow the paint to conform to the new shape.

The paint shops you guys went to were thinking about money and time and didn't care if you shit got messed up. I would make them repair there screw up or I would go pay an attorney a $100 to write them a letter telling them you are going to sue them if they don't man up and fix it.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I dont see why you guys are rolling your lips anyways?

I run 17X10.5 on Hoosier 315's lowered on H&R Race springs and not an issue.

Bockfipher

Established Member
I dont see why you guys are rolling your lips anyways?

I run 17X10.5 on Hoosier 315's lowered on H&R Race springs and not an issue.

As I understand it, a drop gives more clearance. I'm still at stock height.

BTW, did I mention that they only "rolled" my fenders to about 30*, so it may not have even solved my clearance issues? :bash:

oldmodman

Established Member
I have the Eastwood tool and have done three cars with ABSOLUTELY no paint damage.

First washed and clayed inner fender area. I figured why get the dirt ground into the paint and why make the roller on the brand new tool dirty.

Set up tool and adjusted it to barely make contact.

Used a hair dryer instead of a heat gun. My heat gun will get up to 800 degrees so I used the hair dryer instead. Heated up area to be rolled and made very small adjustments to the tool each pass. I probably spent much longer that necessary but why take a chance on damaging the paint by rushing it.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'll try and get pics of mine tomorrow. First time ever using a roller, no cracks, no bad spots, nothing. Used a heat gun and took my time (about 2 hours total for the whole ordeal). Eastwood roller that was well used.

I couldn't stand paying someone to do it and they mess it up.

And for the guy asking why you would do it, my 295's rubbed on the rear lip going in and out of my driveway. I actually pick up a tire going in and out it's so steep, hence my reasoning for rolling my fenders.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
Rolling fenders without chipping the paint is not hard at all. I did my car and a buddies GTO first time ever and didn't chip any paint. The whole key to rolling fenders is to have a 2nd person keeping the paint hot with a heat gun and slowly rolling the fenders. When I mean slowly...I mean only do a little bending at a time. Don't get on there and crank up the pressure on the lip and try to do it all in 1 or 2 shots. Instead do small increments in pressure gradually increasing to allow the paint to conform to the new shape.

+1

no flaking or chipping here. i did my own with the eastwood tool and with a heat gun!

RoadRash

Established Member
I just had mine rolled on Tuesday in my garage. It took the guy about 1.5 hours to do both sides and he only charged $50. He heated it up with a heat gun and adjusted the tool slightly with each pass. Looks good .. I've got 335/30/18 Nittos coming any day now and needed them rolled.

If any of you guys are in the Richmond, Va area, this guy is good. His posts ads on Craigslist.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I replied to your PM as well.

I have rolled dozens upon dozens of Cobras and other domestic cars as well and as long as you take your time and use a heat gun, you will have no issues.

Here are just a few people on here with Cobras that I have done.

dpotter [Sonic Blue 03] , xtremejc [Mineral Grey 03] , skaarew04SVT [Redfire 04] , Hookem [Sonic Blue 03] , Foofinator [Screaming Yellow 04 and 96 Silver GT], 96lasersnake [Oxford White 04] , STROKD [Comp Orange 04] , Mike K [Mystic 04]

Bockfipher

Established Member
If any of you guys are in the Richmond, Va area, this guy is good. His posts ads on Craigslist.

Heh heh...funny enough, this shop is in Richmond, VA. I'm willing to bet that you know of them. Maybe I should've checked craigslist.

Bockfipher

Established Member
I replied to your PM as well.

I have rolled dozens upon dozens of Cobras and other domestic cars as well and as long as you take your time and use a heat gun, you will have no issues.

Kevin, your PM was fantastic. Thanks for the pics and info. I will undoubtedly be showing this thread and your PM to this guy on Monday since he firmly believes that this cannot be done without cracking the paint.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Damn sorry to hear that.

Mine are rolled from the previous owner. Absolutely no paint flakes or chipping going on. Thank god.

ctubbs

Established Member
My buddys here in town have done their cars in the last week with the eastwood fender roller and didnt have any paint chips. One has a new STI and the other is a GTO. I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow afternoon. Its not hard to do right, sounds like that shop owes you some paint and a apology!

Users who are viewing this thread