Fender & Suspension issue?

puredrive

Established Member
Its a 98 Cobra & It was involved in a small deer accident. The deer ran into the fender and door. car was traveling about 30mph

Shop replaced fender & Door skin. Shop stated that no frame damage was done.

I don't know if I was given a fender from another ford mustang( if there is a difference) but the fender has a Ford logo and has 030 stamped on it. Anyone have any clue on why the wheel is poking out this much?

wheels are Cobra R original with 255 tires on it. Any help would be appeciated

Passenger Side Fender:
IMAG0038.gif

Driver side fender
IMAG0037-1.gif

96dreamer

Established Member
my car has a similar problem accept my damaged side covers the wheel more. are you sure they replaced the fender?

puredrive

Established Member
my car has a similar problem accept my damaged side covers the wheel more. are you sure they replaced the fender?

The fender was crunched up..That's where the deer's head first hit. There was a good 8-12" dent but most of the damage was done on the door..as the deer's body swung around.

Pretty sure the fender was replaced. Not sure what to think at this point. The car drives straight ..does not pull to any side. I checked the under side of the car, no apparent damage at all. I'm about to replace worn out ball joints, steering rack &control arm bushings and also tie rods. But other then that. Not sure what else it could be. :shrug:

IMAG0040.gif

IMAG0041.gif

IMAG0042.gif

CJK440

Established Member
Are you sure it wasn't like that before?

There are so many factors and tolerances that can add up to what you are seeing. If its aligned and everything looks fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Is it me or does the hood gap look larger on the side that covers up the wheel more? What did the shop say about it?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Was the car aligned after it was fixed? My friends 98 cobra had the same issue after he took it to get aligned, he took it back and they went over the alignment specs and the car had too much positive camber. It was corrected and problem solved.

puredrive

Established Member
I guess I was just concerned that the shop might have installed the wrong fender...but all fenders must be the same after all.

Thx guys. I seriously don't remember being like that prior tot he accident. But I will replace ball joints, front control arm bushings, tie rods. I replaced the steering rack bushings the other day. Afterwards my plan was to take it to an alignment shop and get it properly aligned. I was even thinking taking it to Soulspeed. For those who are familiar with Austin shops.

CJK440

Established Member
Was the car aligned after it was fixed? My friends 98 cobra had the same issue after he took it to get aligned, he took it back and they went over the alignment specs and the car had too much positive camber. It was corrected and problem solved.

Yes. I thought it was aligned, camber adjustment will change what you are seeing. When you move the strut in and out to adjust camber you will see the wheel pull in and out.

puredrive

Established Member
Pretty sure this is not a Positive Camber issue. Might be off but I am sure it's something else.

I'm pretty familiar with what Neg & Positive camber is. I track an AP2 S2000. But at this stage, I'll take it to a suspension pro and see what they suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread